Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: What happened to global warming?

hokie4redskins

Cue the global cooling hysteria................

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8299079.stm

This headline may come as a bit of a surprise, so too might that fact that the warmest year recorded globally was not in 2008 or 2007, but in 1998.

But it is true. For the last 11 years we have not observed any increase in global temperatures.

And our climate models did not forecast it, even though man-made carbon dioxide, the gas thought to be responsible for warming our planet, has continued to rise.

So what on Earth is going on?

Climate change sceptics, who passionately and consistently argue that man's influence on our climate is overstated, say they saw it coming.

They argue that there are natural cycles, over which we have no control, that dictate how warm the planet is. But what is the evidence for this?

During the last few decades of the 20th Century, our planet did warm quickly.

I see it in the temperatures.

Florida gets hotter every year.

There was a time when Florida's heat, or warmth was soothing.

Now it's so hot, that it actually feels like torture, and I can't even enjoy a day at the beach, because after 15 minutes in the frying sun, I'm miserable.

And then in North Carolina, where it's supposed to be cooler, it's like a midsummer's day in the mid-80s, in the middle of October.

Now it's so hot, that it actually feels like torture, and I can't even enjoy a day at the beach, because after 15 minutes in the frying sun, I'm miserable.

And then in North Carolina, where it's supposed to be cooler, it's like a midsummer's day in the mid-80s, in the middle of October.

So... the numbers are wrong, and you're right?

(Not jumping in on either side of the debate. Just saying that responding to "Global data shows there hasn't been warming for a decade" with "I feel a lot warmer" isn't much of a response.)

So... the numbers are wrong, and you're right?

(Not jumping in on either side of the debate. Just saying that responding to "Global data shows there hasn't been warming for a decade" with "I feel a lot warmer" isn't much of a response.)

What about all the glaciers and icebergs on the North and South Pole that are melting, and as a result, Polar Bears and Penguins and Seals are dying off because they have less places to beach themselves ?

What about all the glaciers and icebergs on the North and South Pole that are melting, and as a result, Polar Bears and Penguins and Seals are dying off because they have less places to beach themselves ?

Dude. Are you seriously trying to argue temperature with a thermometer?

You lost me - temperature and thermometer are basically the same in the context of this subject. A thermometer measures temperature. If the temperature is 100 degrees, the thermometer will mirror that. What are we getting at here ?

If you are referring to that scene out of the Al Gore movie, that was an anomaly - the Polar Bears didnt die from not having a place to beach themselves, they died swimming in a storm.

You lost me - temperature and thermometer are basically the same in the context of this subject. A thermometer measures temperature. If the temperature is 100 degrees, the thermometer will mirror that. What are we getting at here ?

I know. The thermometers say it hasn't gotten hotter in eleven years. You seem to be arguing with them.

If you are referring to that scene out of the Al Gore movie, that was an anomaly - the Polar Bears didnt die from not having a place to beach themselves, they died swimming in a storm.

So, I guess that's Sarah Palin's fault, then.....because she was flying a plane overhead trying to shoot them with a rifle, and the polar bears jumped in the water to escape the bullets.

Mick, you're just getting older. And, obviously, are a bigger wuss than you were, before.:silly:

Facts are inconvenient at times

http://www.worldclimatereport.com/index.php/2009/10/06/antarctic-ice-melt-at-lowest-levels-in-satellite-era/

World Climate Report revealed this week that the ice melt during the Antarctic summer of 2008-2009 was the lowest ever recorded in the satellite history.

A 30-year minimum Antarctic snowmelt record occurred during austral summer 2008–2009 according to spaceborne microwave observations for 1980–2009. Strong positive phases of both the El-Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO) and the Southern Hemisphere Annular Mode (SAM) were recorded during the months leading up to and including the 2008–2009 melt season.

When are they all going to learn to just call it climate CHANGE. That way you're covered and it WILL occur. Seriously I think we do better planning for an ice age. There's going to be one one of these decades and it's going to last an awful long time.

Gotcha covered;)

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23583376-7583,00.html

Sorry to ruin the fun, but an ice age cometh

Gotcha covered;)

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23583376-7583,00.html

Sorry to ruin the fun, but an ice age cometh

That guy has been reading my posts here. :D I've been pretty constant with my view on this. It just seems like common sense to me. It's a whole lot worse than warming. I like the idea that there are people thinking about it and ways to stave it off. I wonder if we'll ever get that much control over mother nature.

This quote is pretty, as he said, bleak.

"The bleak truth is that, under normal conditions, most of North America and Europe are buried under about 1.5km of ice. This bitterly frigid climate is interrupted occasionally by brief warm interglacials, typically lasting less than 10,000 years."

No, but you go tell the ice in the arctic that it shouldn't be melting, and you tell the polar bears that their ice pack really isn't disappearing, and you go explain to Greenland that the glaciers there really aren't melting. We're not arguing with the thermometer but apparently the ice is.

No, but you go tell the ice in the arctic that it shouldn't be melting, and you tell the polar bears that their ice pack really isn't disappearing, and you go explain to Greenland that the glaciers there really aren't melting. We're not arguing with the thermometer but apparently the ice is.

Funny thing about ice

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/

The disappearing sea ice that was supposedly going to dramatically change the North, if not the world, is back. Thanks to really cold weather -- gee, where did that come from?--winter sea ice has been growing across the North. "Clearly we're seeing the ice coverage rebound back to more near normal coverage for this time of year," says Gilles Langis, a senior ice forecaster with the Canadian Ice Service in Ottawa.

There goes a good story. And if you doubt me on this, the source is as biased on climate change as sources get: The CBC. And if the weather stays cold, the ice will get even thicker, says the report...

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/02/15/arctic-ice.html

This isn't the only sign of rising sea ice and extra-cold temperatures. The U.S. National Climatic Date Center reported the other day that temperatures in the United States set cold records in January. "The average temperature in January 2008 was 30.5 F. This is -0.3 F cooler than the 1901-2000 (20th century) average, the 49th coolest January in 114 years."

...As for ice, A University of Illinois report showed that Arctic sea ice is back to its previous level.

added

interesting if you are interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_event

350px-Thermohaline_circulation.png

So the planet has cycles. We knew that. But increased CO2 in the atmosphere DOES raise temperatures. So...

What if the natural cycle is pushing down temperatures while CO2 is increasing?

Temperatures stay the same right? For how long?

What happens when the natural cycle starts to rise again AND we have dumped all of this CO2 into the atmosphere?

We're ******. That's what. :doh:

The Earth's environment is extremely fragile. From the Green House Gas Effect (Think planet Venus) to the sun's sun spots changing. Some things are man made, some things are not, all of it can easily wipe us off the face of the earth.

Getting a little of topic here but the fragile nature of life on earth is what makes me believe that the odds of life on any planet surviving for any extended period must be very slim.

Sure life must exist out there all over the universe. And each time it rises only to exist for a brief moment in time before the universe snuffs it out again.

There may be civilizations that have beaten the odds, but they must be incredibly rare.

UPDATE:

The BBC's amazing U-turn on climate change

Hudson’s piece is a U-turn – not because he has joined the ranks of sceptics who reject the theory of man-made global warming, but because at last he has written a story about the well-established fact that the earth’s temperature has not risen since 1998, and reports seriously the theories of climatologists (themselves not sceptics) who believe that we are in for 30 years of cooling caused by the falling temperatures of the oceans.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100013173/the-bbcs-amazing-u-turn-on-climate-change/

Archived