Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aol News/AP: Texas District Rejects Mexican Students

ljs

This should make for an interesting debate...

http://news.aol.com/article/del-rio-texas-school-district-turns-away/709315?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fdel-rio-texas-school-district-turns-away%2F709315

Oct. 8) -- A border community's school district has become the latest flashpoint in the nation's immigration debate.

The school district in Del Rio, Texas, about three and a half hours west of San Antonio, has cracked down on what officials say are Mexican students attending U.S. public schools there, according to news reports.

"We had several van loads (with Mexican license plates) pulling up at the schools and kids getting out. It's like 'C'mon, it's obvious what's going on,'" Kelt Cooper, superintendent of the San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District, told The Associated Press.

He directed district officials to stake out a border bridge in early September and warn students they could face expulsion if they don't prove they live in the district — a move that's brought complaints from civil rights groups and support from anti-immigrant proponents.

"We have a law. We have a policy. We follow it," said Cooper, whose spent most of his life near the border and is uncomfortable with attempts to make him a cause celebre for either side of the immigration debate. "I'm just doing my job."

Click link for entire article...

From the article:

Of 195 students targeted on the bridge last month, about 150 quickly proved residency, Cooper told the Del Rio News-Herald this week. Several students never showed up to class again. Of the others, he told the local newspaper, the district is still working to confirm residency.

I dont think the school district acting correctly and just asking them for proof of residency is fine... I am a big pro-immigrant supporter and I dont have a problem with what the school is doing. Surprised they didnt have some system in place already to establish residency...

i am sure they are not treating every case black and white cause from my experience of livingin Laredo, TX for few years.. the family situation there does get little "complicated"...

i mean whats the real issue here from the civil rights group? HELLO? this is south texas.. people are like 99.9% of Mexican descent.

Interesting facts

.http://www.examiner.com/a-2210836~Border_district_to_turn_back_students_from_Mexico.html.

.For years, the enrollment of Mexican students had been an open secret, but Superintendent Kelt Cooper said that after the district received a report that more than 540 school-age children were recorded crossing from the Mexican state of Coahuila into the United States, he had to take action.

Cooper estimated the district could lose $2.7 million in state funding.

"But the fact is, that wasn't our money to begin with," he said

Cooper said he planned to ask the school board to consider allowing non-resident children to attend Del Rio schools if they pay tuition and space allows. He said the district will also apply for clearance from the state to allow Mexican children with student visas to attend schools at a cost.

Supreme Court has already said you can't do this.

This is why President Obama, from Harvard, that is a Lawyer, and wrote for the Harvard law review know that Universal HealthCare, no matter how its written. HAS TO BE given to all residents of the Country no matter what.

Social Services is provided to the "person" not the status.

Supreme Court has already said you can't do this.

This is why President Obama, from Harvard, that is a Lawyer, and wrote for the Harvard law review know that Universal HealthCare, no matter how its written. HAS TO BE given to all residents of the Country no matter what.

Social Services is provided to the "person" not the status.

Err NO, SCOTUS said you cannot exclude them simply because of their illegal immigrant status.

The question of them not living in the district is a totally different matter and the courts have ruled so.

They have a right to education IN the district they reside.

Err NO, SCOTUS said you cannot exclude them simply because of their illegal immigrant status.

The question of them not living in the district is a totally different matter and the courts have ruled so.

They have a right to education IN the district they reside.

But does an illegal techincally "reside" (legal definition, not the literal)anywhere in this country?

Archived