Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't expect Shanahan-to-Redskins talk to die

MAATopDogg

Don't expect Shanahan-to-Redskins talk to die

Before this interesting coincidence occurred Monday at a small Denver-area airport, I was planning to address the possibility of Mike Shanahan eventually becoming the head coach in Washington.

The topic became relevant again Sunday when the Redskins lost to, gulp, Detroit and fell to 1-2. The big-money Redskins have been anemic on offense under offensive-minded coach Jim Zorn. His job security will be in question until he can show he can get it together in Washington.

I have long thought Washington could be a strong potential landing spot for Shanahan. He was fired by Denver last December after 14 seasons with the Broncos.

Shanahan has made it clear he wants to coach in the NFL again and plans to pursue opportunities in early 2010. Shanahan has an office not far from the Broncos’ facility, where he routinely breaks down tape and studies the NFL as he eagerly awaits another chance. Shanahan isn’t one of these former coaches who are enjoying being out of the NFL. He is coming back and from what I have heard, he is counting the days.

There will be, at least, a handful of teams looking for coaches in January. There always are. The Redskins, as we sit now, have to be considered a possibility.

And they would be an intriguing fit for Shanahan. The Redskins would likely offer big money and there are some talented players in the roster. Shanahan would like the spotlight of being the head coach of such a high-profile team and he is friendly with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, who never shies from making a huge splash.

This pairing just makes sense and the more the losses continue to pile up, the more this pairing will be discussed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...ns-talk-to-die

Would love if we landed Shanny. Holmgren would be my second choice as Shannny has 3 superbowl rings(1 with the Niners in 95 and that 49er unstoppable offense that year and 2 with the broncos.).

I heard that him and Vinny are tight

Damn we need someone that will push vinny out of the way!!!

I don't know sounds like he might be pissed being let go from Denver and ready to come into the nfl with a grudge on his shoulder to win and that is exactly what we need!!!

I like him as an offensive mind, but he was a terrible personnel guy. He rivaled Vinny for bad free agent signings and blown draft picks. It would be one thing if he came here with a new GM, but if he came here to work with Vinny... sigh.

No way he comes here and works for that little tyrant, I believe he is bound for Dallas for sure.

Also, I think we need a defensive coach, we have had all these offensive minded coaches, and it is not cutting it.

This team needs a lot more than Shannahan, they need someone to get in their faces and not take any BS.

The bottom line is people, until Snyder relinquishes all the GM duties to a real GM, and gets rid of his little side kick, this team will always be dysfunctional

If Shannahan does come here to coach I wonder what that will mean for Portis and his spot on this team. Many have expressed that it might be time to trade Portis or release him...would Shannahan really do that or would he keep him until the wheels literally fall off?

BTW, I am not suggesting that the Skins SHOULD get rid of Portis, just interested to know what Shannahan would do with him.

If Shannahan does come here to coach I wonder what that will mean for Portis and his spot on this team. Many have expressed that it might be time to trade Portis or release him...would Shannahan really do that or would he keep him until the wheels literally fall off?

BTW, I am not suggesting that the Skins SHOULD get rid of Portis, just interested to know what Shannahan would do with him.

well, consider that he was willing to trade portis when portis was in his prime...so....doesn't look good.

Of course I don't expect the rumors to go away. The same that I don't expect the rumors for Holmgren, Gruden, Cowher and any other big name coach who may be available to go away. Until we start winning regularly, the rumors will exist.

It doesn't mean there is any truth in any of them, tho.

I like Shanahan but not if he's going to keep Vinny! The main goal is getting Vinny out! I would rank all the big names in order of how likely they are to fire Vinny! We couldn't win with Joe Gibbs and Vinny...what makes people think we can win with any of these big names and Vinny?

If Shanny comes here maybe he will bring Gary Kubiak??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/01/do-or-die-for-kubiak/

Now that would be something that would tip the scales for me (not that too many people are basing these decisions on what I want...hahaha).

I've been in the Gruden-or-a-young-head-coach camp for a while, but if Shanahan could come in here and bring a younger guy like Kubiak to groom for a couple more years and eventually replace him...I'm in.

The guy is 48 now, could install the offense that has been successful in this league, and then take over in his early 50s already having coordinator and head coaching experience.

Archived