Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News: It Is Time To Fire Cerrato And Zorn Now

Gibbsisgod2006

I dont know if this has been posted yet sorry if it was but it is a good read.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/3rdStoneFromTheSun/206670

It Is Time To Fire Cerrato And Zorn Now

When Vinny Cerrato joined the Redskins, he had just come a successful time working with the San Francisco 49ers. He has joined the Niners after working for Lou Holtz at Notre Dame University for many successful tears, including a championship season in 1988.

In his eight years in San Francisco, he was part of a machine that went to the playoffs seven years in a row. The team never won fewer than ten games during Cerrato's time there. When he joined the Redskins in 1999, they made the playoffs that season.

Then Cerrato and team owner Dan Snyder began to hire washed up talents, including Hall Of Famers Bruce Smith and Deion Sanders. The team, already aging, found little relief with an influx of has-beens.

When Marty Schottenheimer was hired as head coach and general manager in 2001, Redskin fans would not recognize the importance of that moment until now. Schottenheimer was given the ability by Snyder to fire Cerrato, and he did immediately.

The Redskins became the first team in NFL history to follow a five game losing streak with a five game winning streak that season. It was accomplished with such mediocre talents like quarterback Tony Banks at the helm, where the team was third from last in the league in scoring.

If only Snyder had stayed the course with Marty Ball.

Schottenheimer was fired after his lone season in Washington, then would move to San Diego to help build a Chargers team that has been a winning team since. He was replaced by Steve Spurrier in Washington, where the team won just twelve games in two wretched seasons.

Though the hiring of Spurrier was a bad move in hindsight, the worst hiring in 2002 was when Snyder brought Cerrato back. It was a move most NFL experts laughed at. Many have said, since then, that Cerrato wouldn't be hired by any other team, and only Snyder would be foolish enough to hire such incompetence. Even the experts on ESPN, where Cerrato had worked in 2001, have long said such criticisms.

The laughter of NFL pundits continues today, though Redskins fans never wanted to see their team become a walking punchline.

There are several theories bandied about to how the inept Cerrato continues to stay in Washington, including the theory Cerrato is blackmailing Snyder to keep his job by possessing some form of incriminating documents or photos that would ruin Snyder's empire.

Cerrato's "expertise" has seen him neglect team need, especially the last several seasons. One example is his drafting tight end Fred Davis in the second round of the 2008 draft, even though the team had a young All-Pro in Chris Cooley at the position.

Sitting on the draft board was a huge defensive end named Calais Campbell for a team starving for defensive end depth. Cerrato blew off this, something he has consistently done when it comes to the Redskins needs in his time back in Washington. Campbell is now a regular contributor on the Arizona Cardinals, and helped them to a win recently by blocking a game winning field goal attempt.

There are several theories bandied about to how the inept Cerrato continues to stay in Washington, including the theory Cerrato is blackmailing Snyder to keep his job by possessing some form of incriminating documents or photos that would ruin Snyder's empire.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, I still kind of like Vinny. I'm crazy, I know. It seems like he's missed on a lot of guys, but he's also hit on a lot of others, especially some guys in the late rounds like Montgomery, Gholston, and Horton. I would still fire him just to get some new ideas and new blood, though.

My 2010 wish list:

GM: Marty Schottenheimer

Head Coach: Bill Cowher

Quarterback: Jimmy Clausen, if not, Sam Bradford

WHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! One can dream........

P.S. Do you realize how great this team could be with just one of those guys? We need a badass in your face leader. Yes, Jimmy Clausen, if you watch him, is that guy even though he looks like a ...........

Liked the article until he used the term "effeminate" like any schoolyard bully. He might as well have used the rude form of "homosexual."

Really, leave the perjoratives out of your writing. You lost me then, guy, and I will probably read anything else by you with a grain of salt.

BTW, I referring to the author of the posted article, and not any poster here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, I still kind of like Vinny. I'm crazy, I know. It seems like he's missed on a lot of guys, but he's also hit on a lot of others, especially some guys in the late rounds like Montgomery, Gholston, and Horton. I would still fire him just to get some new ideas and new blood, though.

My 2010 wish list:

Head Coach: Bill Cowher

Quarterback: Jimmy Clausen, if not, Sam Bradford

WHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! One can dream........

P.S. Do you realize how great this team could be with just one of those guys? We need a badass in your face leader. Yes, Jimmy Clausen, if you watch him, is that guy even though he looks like a ...........

Jimmy Clausen? no thanks lol, until this year he couldn't beat mediocre college teams, this year he is able to beat mediocre college teams

Nothing I have read, and most likely will ever read will justify firing zorn before the bye. Hes coached 19 games in the NFL and is 9-10 with what the consensus is average talent. Firing him now makes the season a complete joke (it may end up that way anyway, but let's not make it a certainty)

Wow, I could not agree more with this. Vinny is a complete moron, I think the 2008 draft could go down as one of the worst ever, if it Vinny hadn't got lucky on Chris Horton it definitely would have. I still cannot believe he took a Tight End in the 2nd round when we have one of the best in league in Cooley and a solid backup in Yoder. Then to take TWO FREANKING WIDE RECIEVERS!! I think Vinny must have been drunk, that could be the only excuse other then being mildly retarded.

at least the media is starting to write more and more about Vinny's ineptness ... that's a start.

Um, I'm guessing this is a fan blog that is hosted on the Sporting News website lol...it's not anything "mainstream media"-written.

And this comment here:

The guy to consider replacing him with is the guy he replaced in Charley Casserly.

Good lord, ANYONE who thinks bringing Casserly back in is the answer definitely needs to take a drug test lol...

We went from Saunders 700 page playbook, which is equal to enough tp for the next 6 months, to Zorn and his same 7 plays that he runs over and over. And when they fail miserably for Zorn, you'll hear about poor execution or 1 missed block or assignment. HOW ABOUT POOR PLAYCALLING ZORN??? Now just beneath that problem is the defense playing like a steaming pile of pooh. The offense needs to hit on some red zone plays and they are there... (Again play calling.) but the defense, secondary especially is beyond bad. For something that is supposed to be our strong point is definitely not. No sense of urgency, no heart, no discipline etc... But hey according to ZORN things are looking better!!!

We went from Saunders 700 page playbook, which is equal to enough tp for the next 6 months, to Zorn and his same 7 plays that he runs over and over. And when they fail miserably for Zorn, you'll hear about poor execution or 1 missed block or assignment. HOW ABOUT POOR PLAYCALLING ZORN??? Now just beneath that problem is the defense playing like a steaming pile of pooh. The offense needs to hit on some red zone plays and they are there... (Again play calling.) but the defense, secondary especially is beyond bad. For something that is supposed to be our strong point is definitely not. No sense of urgency, no heart, no discipline etc... But hey according to ZORN things are looking better!!!

As long as they keep the rest of the scouting department intact I'm all for chopping the head off this monstrosity.

Rocky Brown and Scott Campbell are the guys you never hear about who do the good work around here. If not for them, Vinny would've looked even more foolish lo these many years. Perhaps even as foolish as Snyder himself.

This is what he said ^^^^

My 2010 wish list:

You're joking, right?

Schotferbrains was PUTRID at personnel here. The '01 draft was the worst post-Casserly draft yet, far worse than Cerrato, and he gave big contracts to no-talent yes-men like Lockett and Donnell Bennett. He cut Larry Centers, who then went to the pro-bowl with Buffalo. He turned down Dilfer at QB to go with Tony Banks. :chair::chair::chair:

How pathetic are we that people are so nostalgic for a guy who went 8-8, despite having the easiest schedule in the NFL that year.:doh:

As long as they keep the rest of the scouting department intact I'm all for chopping the head off this monstrosity.

Rocky Brown and Scott Campbell are the guys you never hear about who do the good work around here. If not for them, Vinny would've looked even more foolish lo these many years. Perhaps even as foolish as Snyder himself.

Agreed.

It's clear Cerrato is a "yes-man." The organization needs to get rid of him ASAP.

For me, the jury is still out on Zorn. His offense, especially JC's play hasn't improved since week 8 of last year. However, I think a first time coach deserves an actual chance to succeed. IMO we owe it to our team to give him at least until the end of this season to prove his worth. Depending on how we finish I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back as long as Cerrato is shown the door.

You're joking, right?

Schotferbrains was PUTRID at personnel here. The '01 draft was the worst post-Casserly draft yet, far worse than Cerrato, and he gave big contracts to no-talent yes-men like Lockett and Donnell Bennett. He cut Larry Centers, who then went to the pro-bowl with Buffalo. He turned down Dilfer at QB to go with Tony Banks. :chair::chair::chair:

How pathetic are we that people are so nostalgic for a guy who went 8-8, despite having the easiest schedule in the NFL that year.:doh:

Hey, this blog "article" is recommending that we rehire the guy who gave us Heath Shuler and Michael Westbrook lol...

Archived