Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News' Athletes of the Decade

MattFancy

Teboverrated. Good yes, but NOT THE SECOND COMING.

Myron Rolle's a better story.

He will end up owning basically every SEC TD record. Possibly 3 national championships, and 2 heismans?

He is hated because of the press he gets. Over-rated in college he is not. Will that transition to a good NFL athlete I unfortunately don't think so but thats not the discussion.

MLB- Alex Rodriguez. Like him or not he will go down as the greatest baseball player to every play.

NCAA- Tim Tebow. Leinhart is great but Tim Tebow is college football. If he wins his 3rd national championship then game over.

NHL- Hard to argue with Lidstrom. I'd say Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur.

I dunno about A-Rod being the greatest of All-Time. Pujols is a damn good player in his own right. If they didn't just automatically give the MVP to Bonds in Pujols' earlier years, he could probably have about 5 MVPs by now.

I could see the arguement for Tebow. I don't like the guy, but he wins and has put up some good numbers. I think you're right though, if Tebow wins another National Title, he gets the nod.

MLB- Alex Rodriguez. Like him or not he will go down as the greatest baseball player to every play.

No way. He's not even the best player of his generation. First it was Bonds now it's Pujols. Rodriguez was/is a great ball player, but he's still missing a ring and have yet to have that October moment.

No way. He's not even the best player of his generation. First it was Bonds now it's Pujols. Rodriguez was/is a great ball player, but he's still missing a ring and have yet to have that October moment.

I believe A-Rod is on pace to beat Barry Bonds homerun records. Yes he has no ring but his batting and consistency are amazing. He has plenty of MVPs and plays a key position unlike 1st baseman Albert.

If A-Rod wins a ring and keeps at his pace ... he will go down as one of the greatest baseball players either.

I'm not saying Albert is bad but A-Rod is a cut above.

I believe A-Rod is on pace to beat Barry Bonds homerun records. Yes he has no ring but his batting and consistency are amazing. He has plenty of MVPs and plays a key position unlike 1st baseman Albert.

If A-Rod wins a ring and keeps at his pace ... he will go down as one of the greatest baseball players either.

Again, I see A-Rod as a stats guy. If it came down to it in a big moment in a game, I'd walk both Bonds and Pujols to get to A-Rod, particularly in the post season.

A-Rod won't stay healthy long enough. He's already had hip surgery and I thinkt that will start to slow him down. Pujols just happened to start right at the time when Bonds was going crazy. Pujols could easily have 5 MVPs right now. I think he finished 2nd to Bonds like 3 times. Pujols is no joke and is putting up crazy numbers so far in his career. He's the only player this decade to lead his league in batting, homers, and rbis in any year. Not even A-Rod did that.

That's fair. But I see a lot of Roy Jones in Floyd. Not saying he was afraid of anyone, but he picked his opponents carefully.

floyd fought every top contender at 130 & 135 when he came up

he didn't start selectively choosing his opponents til he hit 140 147

at 130 & 135 he dominated everyone and stopped most of them

Yeah right. Pujols, since entering in 2001 has put up an average of 41 HR and 123 RBI's a season while batting an average of .334

He also has a higher slugging percentage and OPS. He's a much better pure hitter and he's not a cheater as far as we know.

And if it's the pennant series, bottom of the 9th, tied 2-2, 3-2 count, 2 outs, I'll take Pujols over A-Rod 10 times out of ten.

Look at the playoff stats, Pujols has a major advantage...

Albert > A-Rod

No question.

I think Brady should get it over Manning. I hate the man, but the truth is the truth.

Brady should definitely get it over Manning. No question.

You don't think so? Even though he had 31 TDs in 2006 and has rushed for over 1,100 yards every year? Don't get me wrong Manning and Brady have been great, but LT at least belongs in the discussion.

Like the OP said, LT doesn't belong in the discussion. He's not even in the same class as those other two. Those two put up HUGE numbers, plus they won a title or titles.

Btw, 1100 for a RB is not that great.

Like the OP said, LT doesn't belong in the discussion. He's not even in the same class as those other two. Those two put up HUGE numbers, plus they won a title or titles.

Yeah 1,100 is his worst year! The dude had 30 TDs in 2006. That's ridiculous! I'm not saying hands down he's the best, but he at least deserves to be mentioned. I don't see a RB getting 30 TDs anytime soon.

I'd say it would between Brady and Manning. As good as LT is/was, he's not in the discussion imo.

Are you kidding me? Not in the discussion? Look at his stats...

Since entering in 2001 he's averaged in 8 full seasons,

1,470 yards per season

15.75 TD's

4.4 yards per carry

He also holds a bunch of NFL records...to say he's not in the discussion is ridiculous considering he's already #2 all time in rushing TD's, top 15 in rushing yards etc.

I agree with Peyton being the athlete of the decade for football but L.T. was most certainly in the discussion. They're both first ballot Hall of Famers along with Brady and Tony Gonzalez.

I don't think you've looked at LT's stats lately...he's got 5 seasons over 1,400 yards and 3 over 1,600. He put up huge numbers lol, seriously that was your argument. He is also a scoring MACHINE.

Again #2 already all time in rushing TD's, if that's not huge #'s I don't know what is.

I don't think you've looked at LT's stats lately...he's got 5 seasons over 1,400 yards and 3 over 1,600. He put up huge numbers lol, seriously that was your argument. He is also a scoring MACHINE.

Again #2 already all time in rushing TD's, if that's not huge #'s I don't know what is.

I won't argue he's put up great numbers. But I think Manning and Brady are just more deserving. They both do it every single year. And they each have won a title. Or in Brady's case, 3 of them. LT has just come off as a prima donna to me these last couple of years. I'll never forget seeing him on the bench vs the Pats with his helmet on a few years ago. Biggest game of the guy's life and he's sitting on the bench pouting. And he wasn't hurt. So don't even try and use that line. About the only thing he's good at these days are Vizio commercials.

I won't argue he's put up great numbers. But I think Manning and Brady are just more deserving. They both do it every single year. And they each have won a title. Or in Brady's case, 3 of them. LT has just come off as a prima donna to me these last couple of years. I'll never forget seeing him on the bench vs the Pats with his helmet on a few years ago. Biggest game of the guy's life and he's sitting on the bench pouting. And he wasn't hurt. So don't even try and use that line. About the only thing he's good at these days are Vizio commercials.

I don't know about his attitude. He probably is a little baby but his numbers are right up there with what Brady/Manning did this decade is all I'm saying.

His 31 TD season was the RB equivalent to Brady/Manning's record setting years.

He was an absolute animal that year, caught, ran and threw TD's.

Agreed.

Manning spent years during this decade playing pouty second fiddle to Brady. He got his ring, but when his team fell short (as it often did) he constantly telegraphed his every frustration to the opposition. The guy's an incredible quarterback -- but too often when things haven't gone his way, he has worn his heart on his sleeve to a degree that gave comfort to the enemy.

People confuse this with "passion for the game" and "heart" and "leadership," but none of those things involve telegraphing a failing confidence to the other team. The decade's best player just can't be a guy who spent much of the decade telling playoff opponents that yes, they've successfully compromised his emotional control on gameday.

I guess folks tend to forget all the years of this:

Peyton+Manning.jpg

A-Rod will never go down as one of the greatest because he used 'roids for multiple years and lied about using them. He won't make the hall of fame either and it's no ones fault but his. Thus, the so called homerun record will mean nothing.

Agreed.

Manning spent years during this decade playing pouty second fiddle to Brady. He got his ring, but when his team fell short (as it often did) he constantly telegraphed his every frustration to the opposition. The guy's an incredible quarterback -- but too often when things haven't gone his way, he has worn his heart on his sleeve to a degree that gave comfort to the enemy.

People confuse this with "passion for the game" and "heart" and "leadership," but none of those things involve telegraphing a failing confidence to the other team. The decade's best player just can't be a guy who spent much of the decade telling playoff opponents that yes, they've successfully compromised his emotional control on gameday.

I guess folks tend to forget all the years of this:

Peyton+Manning.jpg

...This award if for whoever was the best performing player not who had the best attitude.

Archived