Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News' Athletes of the Decade

MattFancy

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/article/2009-09-24/sporting-news-athletes-decade-0

NFL- Peyton Manning, QB Colts

College Football- Matt Leinart, QB USC

MLB- Albert Pujols, 1B Cardinals

NBA- Kobe Bryant, SG Lakers

NASCAR- Jimmie Johnson, No.48 Hendrick Motorsports

College Basketball- Tyler Hansbrough, C North Carolina

NHL- Nicklas Lindstrom, D Red Wings

So what do you guys think? Agree? Disagree?

I think Brady should get it over Manning. I hate the man, but the truth is the truth.

Yeah I think that's the only one I would disagree on. There's actually a few that could've gotten it for the NFL. Brady, Manning, or LT. I think those would be my top 3. Maybe a slight edge to LT.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/article/2009-09-24/sporting-news-athletes-decade-0

NFL- Peyton Manning, QB Colts Either him or Brady

College Football- Matt Leinart, QB USC Why not

MLB- Albert Pujols, 1B Cardinals Sure

NBA- Kobe Bryant, SG Lakers Or Shaq

NASCAR- Jimmie Johnson, No.48 Hendrick Motorsports Don't know, don't care

College Basketball- Tyler Hansbrough, C North Carolina Makes sense (though could be Redick)

NHL- Nicklas Lindstrom, D Red Wings Ovi next decade :D

So what do you guys think? Agree? Disagree?

Yeah I think that's the only one I would disagree on. There's actually a few that could've gotten it for the NFL. Brady, Manning, or LT. I think those would be my top 3. Maybe a slight edge to LT.

I'd say it would between Brady and Manning. As good as LT is/was, he's not in the discussion imo.

I'd say it would between Brady and Manning. As good as LT is/was, he's not in the discussion imo.

You don't think so? Even though he had 31 TDs in 2006 and has rushed for over 1,100 yards every year? Don't get me wrong Manning and Brady have been great, but LT at least belongs in the discussion.

You don't think so? Even though he had 31 TDs in 2006 and has rushed for over 1,100 yards every year? Don't get me wrong Manning and Brady have been great, but LT at least belongs in the discussion.

No championships. IMO, to be considered for athlete of the decade in your sport, you should have atleast won a championship.

No championships. IMO, to be considered for athlete of the decade in your sport, you should have atleast won a championship.

He's a RB. Its not his fault. So you wouldn't have considered Barry Sanders the best football player of the '90s because he didn't win a Super Bowl?

He's a RB. Its not his fault. So you wouldn't have considered Barry Sanders the best football player of the '90s because he didn't win a Super Bowl?

I wouldn't say he wasn't one of the best, but I'd rank Brett Favre over him in the 90's as the athlete of that decade because Brett did win a championship. And that has nothing to do with who was better.

Floyd would not be the boxer of the decade imo. He has a perfect record but I'm still waiting on that fight that will define his career. ALL great boxers have had that fight.

The guy is in another league than everybody else. Pacman could give him trouble, but I won't knock the guy for not having a war, it's not his fault that he's a phenom.

The guy is in another league than everybody else. Pacman could give him trouble, but I won't knock the guy for not having a war, it's not his fault that he's a phenom.

That's fair. But I see a lot of Roy Jones in Floyd. Not saying he was afraid of anyone, but he picked his opponents carefully.

I wouldn't say he wasn't one of the best, but I'd rank Brett Favre over him in the 90's as the athlete of that decade because Brett did win a championship. And that has nothing to do with who was better.

So Trent Dilfer was better than Sanders because he won a Super Bowl?? I think winning the Super Bowl is not the end all be all. Look at Drew Brees right now, he's a great QB and probably the best right now. But his team can't play defense worth a damn. That's not his fault. He doesn't play defense and the offense scores 30 points a game with ease. I don't think championships should be held against you.

That's fair. But I see a lot of Roy Jones in Floyd. Not saying he was afraid of anyone, but he picked his opponents carefully.

I see what you're saying. That said, he hardly fought any cans, and he's never been knocked down from a punch. I think it was Hernandez he took a knee after breaking his hand, but when you don't count that - he hasn't been knocked down in his entire prestigious career. He's also one of the two strings boxing's mainstream popularity is hanging by, the second being Pacman. I couldn't tell you who would win that fight, but Mayweather is the man of the 2000's.

So Trent Dilfer was better than Sanders because he won a Super Bowl?? I think winning the Super Bowl is not the end all be all. Look at Drew Brees right now, he's a great QB and probably the best right now. But his team can't play defense worth a damn. That's not his fault. He doesn't play defense and the offense scores 30 points a game with ease. I don't think championships should be held against you.

To have been the best of the decade of any sport, you would have had to win atleast one championshim imo. And the Trent Dilfer comparison was ridiculous.

To have been the best of the decade of any sport, you would have had to win atleast one championshim imo. And the Trent Dilfer comparison was ridiculous.

Well you said they had to win a championship and Dilfer did. A little extreme, maybe, but its true. I just don't think you can always hold that against people. LT at least deserves to be mentioned with Brady and Manning. He's been one of the best RBs of this generation. Kind of hard not to at least think about him being the best of the decade.

MLB- Alex Rodriguez. Like him or not he will go down as the greatest baseball player to every play.

NCAA- Tim Tebow. Leinhart is great but Tim Tebow is college football. If he wins his 3rd national championship then game over.

NHL- Hard to argue with Lidstrom. I'd say Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur.

Archived