Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley's blog: "Its all Bull ****"

ljs

The Colts were fortunate Ginn dropped that ball at the end and the Dolphins mismanaged the clock, because their defense was done. It's much smarter to plan your offense with your defense in mind. This means that sometimes that 15 play drive IS better than that quick strike.

When you call that many plays on offense, and it takes you that long to get anything done to get points, just like us, you can expect mismanaging the clock, or a mistake here or there. They get 2-3x more chances of them happening. And when you don't score, that one drop, fumble, or Int is the ballgame.

Basically our ballgame came down to the Rams fumbling in the end there. They were going to win it otherwise despite being wrecked all game.

and we have a better defense than they do, which is why its even more disheartening that our offense is so inept.

the dolphins are incapable of scoring quickly, which is why they lost in the end. did you see how slow they went at the end of the game? theyre not a fast paced offense at all, its all short throws and good running for 4-6 yards a click. no big play ability.

the ability to make the quick strike is what we need. we cant rely on 15 play drives because its more room for errors and as you know any small error can cost us the drive. big plays are also momentum shifters and put pressure on the other team. we put no pressure on other teams with our offensive ineptitude. ted ginn is a prime example of how 15 play drives can hurt if youre not 100% perfect. when you can rely on big plays, you dont need to worry about getting every single play perfectly correct every time. it leaves some room for error, which our offense and the dolphins offense do not have. peyton manning can have a guy drop a pass, and you know hes gonna have the ability to make up for it with a potential huge play. we dont have that.

imagine if this team could score from anywhere on the field? we'd be a beast of a team with this defense.

I definitely agree with you that we need to have the ability to score from anywhere. That was the Dolphin's achilles heal in the end even though they played the best game they could've played for 58 minutes. I think our team is more capable of that quick score in the end, but we haven't had the opportunity to do so this year when it's really mattered. Which may be a good thing, because we could use a little more time to get our offense into a rythm. I'm confident we'll start seeing bigger plays as the year goes on. Starting with this week against the Lions.

i think players should play and fans will exercise their right to boo or complain when they pay for a product on the field. we dont deserve to be nasty, but, we have the right to expect a good product for our money. it does not mean the ones that booed are bad fans, they are frustrated with the direction of the team. not just this year, but a lot of years. this has been a proud and productive team, and front office for many years, and all that has changed. i think sports are like politics, sometimes it takes negative response to produce results. maybe this will be one of those years.

When you call that many plays on offense, and it takes you that long to get anything done to get points, just like us, you can expect mismanaging the clock, or a mistake here or there. They get 2-3x more chances of them happening. And when you don't score, that one drop, fumble, or Int is the ballgame.

Basically our ballgame came down to the Rams fumbling in the end there. They were going to win it otherwise despite being wrecked all game.

Well I think the Dolphins actually played a perfect game on offense for the personnel they have. They beat that Colts defense down. They kept Manning on the sidelines. They just couldn't make a play to seal the game. One stop on defense and they win. One touchdown over a field goal and they win. That's where I think we are like them and any other team. The long drawn out offensive drives are great when you are scoring TD's, but it can backfire when you're settling for FG's. That's what happened to the Dolphins and almost what happened to us against St. Louis. If we could start punching the ball in in the redzone our style of offense would actually be very effective against teams like the Colts, the Patriots, the Saints- keeping those high powered offenses off the field.

100% correct. you cannot expect perfect execution for a 15 play drive every time, mistakes are going to happen, which is why the threat of that 30-50 yard play is crucial because for the 8 plays it takes us to go 50 yards, if you can do it in one well executed play you give your offense a better chance for success. not everything has to be perfect all the time.

I definitely agree with you that we need to have the ability to score from anywhere. That was the Dolphin's achilles heal in the end even though they played the best game they could've played for 58 minutes. I think our team is more capable of that quick score in the end, but we haven't had the opportunity to do so this year when it's really mattered. Which may be a good thing, because we could use a little more time to get our offense into a rythm. I'm confident we'll start seeing bigger plays as the year goes on. Starting with this week against the Lions.

and i just disagree that we'll see bigger plays. nothing other than you saying "i think itll happen" suggests we'll see anything like that. we havent seen it for quite some time and i dont think were in a "the light bulb needs to go on" situation for this team, they just are what they are. why that is, we can argue to death, but at the end of the day, the team doesnt make big plays and doesnt score points.

and i just disagree that we'll see bigger plays. nothing other than you saying "i think itll happen" suggests we'll see anything like that. we havent seen it for quite some time and i dont think were in a "the light bulb needs to go on" situation for this team, they just are what they are. why that is, we can argue to death, but at the end of the day, the team doesnt make big plays and doesnt score points.

Yeah I hear you. I just feel like it's not a situation where we can't. I feel like there are just little attention to details we need to work on. If you look closely at our offense there are some opportunities. All it takes is a guy making one block, or JC putting a little more touch, or the WR selling his route a little more, and all of those things are possible imo. The blocking is a wild card to me, sometimes the guys are going to make the block sometimes they'll miss. The touch on the pass just comes from chemistry with the receiver. JC has hit Randel El perfectly on a couple seam routes this year(the drop in the Jags game and the catch against the Rams). As JC takes more shots at Kelly and Moss I see the same thing happening. And the route running will come as well. My optimism on the issues is obviously just opinion though so we'll have to wait and see.

Do some of you guys realize who you are criticizing for making his opinion known? Cooley! Arguably the best player on his team and one of the top 5 TEs in the NFL. His on field play speaks for itself. How he plays on the field is a testament to how hard he works. I think he has EARNED the right to voice his frustration of the perceived "Sky is falling" mentality displayed by some fans and some sporstalk media.

Most of us ask Snyder to be patient, how about us fans dial it back a notch, give the team support, and lets go beat Detroit.

HTTR!!!

+1

Lets give them a chance and let them get to 1-4 or 4-1. For the love of god people, we are 1-1. There is a long way to go.

Sometimes I wonder why I even signed up here last year. It was a lot more enjoyable discussing Skins with my friends.

Is cooley now turning into a cancer like Moss and Portis. Watching film on cooley he is slow and fumbles to much. his stats are inflated because Campbell looks 6 to 10 yards middle of the field always. Trade cooley now for draft picks this team needs and play Davis he is much faster and not yet infected by some others on the team

Is cooley now turning into a cancer like Moss and Portis. Watching film on cooley he is slow and fumbles to much. his stats are inflated because Campbell looks 6 to 10 yards middle of the field always. Trade cooley now for draft picks this team needs and play Davis he is much faster and not yet infected by some others on the team

This might be the single stupidest post I've read on this site in the last year and a half.

Yeah I hear you. I just feel like it's not a situation where we can't. I feel like there are just little attention to details we need to work on. If you look closely at our offense there are some opportunities. All it takes is a guy making one block, or JC putting a little more touch, or the WR selling his route a little more, and all of those things are possible imo. The blocking is a wild card to me, sometimes the guys are going to make the block sometimes they'll miss. The touch on the pass just comes from chemistry with the receiver. JC has hit Randel El perfectly on a couple seam routes this year(the drop in the Jags game and the catch against the Rams). As JC takes more shots at Kelly and Moss I see the same thing happening. And the route running will come as well. My optimism on the issues is obviously just opinion though so we'll have to wait and see.

if you are right and its just one little thing here and there, what has been stopping them from getting this fixed for the last year? what youre describing is a "working out the kinks" type situation that had it been going on for a short period of time, id be in agreement with you, but this has become a trend for us, which is why i have no faith its getting solved without a coach or player shake up.

on a side note, i listened to the malcolm kelly interview last night on 106.7 and its really telling to listen to a guy like him, young and unproven, vs listening to cooley and portis. kelly seemed extremely cool and calm and wasnt irritated at all whereas its obvious that cooley and portis are not feeling good right now.

if you are right and its just one little thing here and there, what has been stopping them from getting this fixed for the last year? what youre describing is a "working out the kinks" type situation that had it been going on for a short period of time, id be in agreement with you, but this has become a trend for us, which is why i have no faith its getting solved without a coach or player shake up.

It's because Zorn isn't Bill Parcells or Schottenheimer, Coughlin, or Belichick. Nothing gets fixed, it's execution, sure, whatever, but when you don't have accountability then who really cares? The same things happen every week.

You can see it in that JC/Zorn video in another thread. He's ****ing to himself damn, 2 times, no td's. He tells Campbell on the headset "You can't catch the ball for the guy" he yells at nobody at all that if we get that block it's a TD, he tells a crying Campbell on the bench that we gotta keep the team together, but nowhere in there do you see him pulling a Parcells and holding anyone accountable for the many mistakes that he brings up in every interview.

He's talking to Campbell, being a QB coach and telling him that it's not his fault, but he's the ****ing Head coach. He's not the QB coach. (Hold them accountable, pull them out of the game and put Marko Mitchell in, put Mason in, whatever it takes.) Don't just stand there on the sideline telling no one in particular that we'd have more points if the players executed. Light their asses up personally.

Then he changes his entire game plan and says "I don't think they've stopped us yet, but I'll tell you what I'm gonna do, is I'm gonna run the ball in the red zone right now, just because you seem not to be able to hang onto the ball in the red zone."

Then we saw a run from the 9, a run from the 8, and a Portis pass into the endzone.

First of all, any run from the 5-9 yard line is a total waste unless your OL is totally blowing up 8 in the box, which our OL never does, and you have a John Riggins type bulldozer in the back field, which we don't, and you are comfortably winning. We were down 7-6. We got 3 points and never got closer than 8 yards in. We started at first and goal at the 9. Pathetic.

Here's the video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d812dca56/Sound-FX-A-QBs-tutelage

It's because Zorn isn't Bill Parcells or Schottenheimer, Coughlin, or Belichick. Nothing gets fixed, it's execution, sure, whatever, but when you don't have accountability then who really cares? The same things happen every week.

You can see it in that JC/Zorn video in another thread. He's ****ing to himself damn, 2 times, no td's. He tells Campbell on the headset "You can't catch the ball for the guy" he yells at nobody at all that if we get that block it's a TD, he tells a crying Campbell on the bench that we gotta keep the team together, but nowhere in there do you see him pulling a Parcells and holding anyone accountable for the many mistakes that he brings up in every interview.

He's talking to Campbell, being a QB coach and telling him that it's not his fault, but he's the ****ing Head coach. He's not the QB coach. (Hold them accountable, pull them out of the game and put Marko Mitchell in, put Mason in, whatever it takes.) Don't just stand there on the sideline telling no one in particular that we'd have more points if the players executed. Light their asses up personally.

Then he changes his entire game plan and says "I don't think they've stopped us yet, but I'll tell you what I'm gonna do, is I'm gonna run the ball in the red zone right now, just because you seem not to be able to hang onto the ball in the red zone."

Then we saw a run from the 9, a run from the 8, and a Portis pass into the endzone.

First of all, any run from the 5-9 yard line is a total waste unless your OL is totally blowing up 8 in the box, which our OL never does, and you have a John Riggins type bulldozer in the back field, which we don't, and you are comfortably winning. We were down 7-6. We got 3 points and never got closer than 8 yards in. We started at first and goal at the 9. Pathetic.

Here's the video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d812dca56/Sound-FX-A-QBs-tutelage

i saw the video and it was very telling. now looking at that video all we saw was him being a QB coach. maybe hes yelling at guys elsewhere and holding them accountable, but who knows. i agree that he needs to stop the jason attention and focus on others as well, but maybe he does and we just didnt see it.

this will continue happening until we change personnel or the coach, because this formula has been the same for well over a year and the results have been identical every week.

i mentioned in another thread, 20 out of 32 teams last week scored 20 points, its not difficult to do. yet the mere thought of us scoring 17 on two dropped TD passes is somehow improvement.

This is the part I didn't like from his blog:

Does it irritate players when a fan refers to his favorite team as "we"? "We" are the fan's team. That's why we are here playing football. I think it's great to have loyal fans that feel like we are their team. The only time guys get tired of the "we" thing is when fans tell us what we should and shouldn't be doing on the field. There is a reason that fans are fans. My job is to play tight end and yours is to cheer loud. To be the best "we" all gotta play our roles.

Sounds like CC is taking things a little too seriously. When I ask a player why he didn't run a fade route instead of a wheel route, it is only an opinionated question or a general question just for conversation. I am not criticizing him. We are hear to do more than cheer. Without the so-called fan, there wouldn't be any sports. Don't believe it, look at all the other defunct football leagues that couldn't stay afloat because of the lack of fans. Fans buy tickets, fans buy sports merchandise, fans buy concessions, and fans buy sponsors' items whether it be GEICO, Budweiser, or FEDEX. So you see, without the fan, you the player, do not exist. We are part of the team.

Here's the video:

You do understand the whole purpose of the video was to show how a coach coaches his QB right? The video is titled "A QB's Tutelage", not "Coach goes Parcells on his offensive line for not blocking" It was an edited 5 minutes out of the whole game specifically about how a head coach coaches his QB throughout the game...

(Hold them accountable, pull them out of the game and put Marko Mitchell in, put Mason in, whatever it takes.) Don't just stand there on the sideline telling no one in particular that we'd have more points if the players executed. Light their asses up personally.

So yelling at a guy for dropping a pass is a sound football coaching strategy and what separates the great coaches from the bad ones? Please.

You do understand the whole purpose of the video was to show how a coach coaches his QB right? The video is titled "A QB's Tutelage", not "Coach goes Parcells on his offensive line for not blocking" It was an edited 5 minutes out of the whole game specifically about how a head coach coaches his QB throughout the game...

Ding.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

Fans pay good money and can choose to conduct themselves any way they see fit. But they have to be OK with the consequences. You can't have it both ways...booing the team and ripping them on message boards and then always be referred to as "the best fans in the NFL" by players, coaches, and ownership.

It's a free country so you can boo all you want...but nobody has to like it or respect you for doing it.

I'm going to set up a hypothetical situation. Our 'Skins go into Detroit, plays really well and beats them. Let's say 31-13. Nice production.

They come back home the following Sunday against Tampa and eke out another win. Let's say 16-10. one TD and 3 FGs. I'm willing to bet a dollar to a donut that some numb nutt fans would start booing every FG attempt!!! Even though they would lead to another win. If that were to happen then they oughta be ashamed of themselves.

So yelling at a guy for dropping a pass is a sound football coaching strategy and what separates the great coaches from the bad ones? Please.

i think hes saying he wants players held accountable. all we hear about his constant mistakes over and over and over. its bad coaching to continually allow mistakes to happen wouldnt you agree? especially when no changes are being made.

this offense has looked the same for over a year now: unproductive. its jim zorns job to fix that. and hes not fixing it or making any changes to aid in that fix. maybe yelling at a guy would help? some guys need that.

baseball related, but ryan zimmerman for the nats was in favor of the fiery angry frank robinson being in his face when he made mistakes, and if youve seen him play, the results speak for themselves. some guys respond to that sort of coaching, others do not. but for you to say that yelling is never effective (which is what it sounds like youre saying) is not correct.

you REALLY need to get the hell outta here with that crap. :mad: :chair: :doh:

Archived