Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley's blog: "Its all Bull ****"

ljs

I'm going to set up a hypothetical situation. Our 'Skins go into Detroit, plays really well and beats them. Let's say 31-13. Nice production.

They come back home the following Sunday against Tampa and eke out another win. Let's say 16-10. one TD and 3 FGs. I'm willing to bet a dollar to a donut that some numb nutt fans would start booing every FG attempt!!! Even though they would lead to another win. If that were to happen then they oughta be ashamed of themselves.

I agree...people can do whatever they want, but don't think that the players or other fans have to somehow agree with your respect childish behavior just because you say you're "fed up" with losing or the organization.

So yelling at a guy for dropping a pass is a sound football coaching strategy and what separates the great coaches from the bad ones? Please.

Well 1-15 to 9-7 with the Jets, or 1-15 11-5 in Miami, or 2-14 to 10-6 in New England. Without bringing up Dallas or the Giants.

But we still hear everybody defend Campbell because his receivers drop the ball much more than average. It's not going to change. Why would it?

When the coach can only say "well, you can't catch the ball for them" and then it happens again and again, with nobody riding pine, why even bring it up? Why decide to run the ball exclusively after that? Just keep throwing it up there, watching them fall. Zorn not only acknowledged the failure but he changed his whole game plan because of it and still will change nothing. It's a ****ing joke.

I agree...people can do whatever they want, but don't think that the players or other fans have to somehow agree with your respect childish behavior just because you say you're "fed up" with losing or the organization.

I agree totally but it works the other way as well. Whether the players or front office are going to like it or not should have no bearing what so ever on whether the fans voice their displeasure or not. The fans have a right to voice their displeasure and the players have a right not to like it. I personally don't care whether they like it or not. Comes with the territory.

some guys respond to that sort of coaching, others do not. but for you to say that yelling is never effective (which is what it sounds like youre saying) is not correct.

I am not saying that yelling is never effective. My point is that people have this knee-jerk reaction that a coach who is ranting on the sidelines and "fired up" must really be coaching his ass off. Mostly, it's fallacy. Getting in guys' faces and screaming at them might satisfy a frustrated fan at some visceral level, but how much does it really help? Sometimes, maybe. But I think fans way overblow the importance of a coach getting all fired up on the sidelines. It's window dressing.

Sometimes a well-timed outburst can shake up a lackadaisical player. A good coach can sense when and how much to scream. But really, how much would it help for Jim Zorn to scream at Mike Sellers for dropping that ball? Not a lot.

I agree totally but it works the other way as well. Whether the players or front office are going to like it or not should have no bearing what so ever on whether the fans voice their displeasure or not. The fans have a right to voice their displeasure and the players have a right not to like it. I personally don't care whether they like it or not. Comes with the territory.

Yep...exactly. I was originally talking about (and follow me here) people's complaints about Cooley's complaint about the booing.

Basically, they decided to either boo or agree with those who booed. Cooley decided to speak out against it. Both those actions are fine to me. However, you don't get to then turn around and say "What's Cooley's problem??" for reacting. Does that make any sense?

I am not saying that yelling is never effective. My point is that people have this knee-jerk reaction that a coach who is ranting on the sidelines and "fired up" must really be coaching his ass off. Mostly, it's fallacy. Getting in guys' faces and screaming at them might satisfy a frustrated fan at some visceral level, but how much does it really help? Sometimes, maybe. But I think fans way overblow the importance of a coach getting all fired up on the sidelines. It's window dressing.

Sometimes a well-timed outburst can shake up a lackadaisical player. A good coach can sense when and how much to scream. But really, how much would it help for Jim Zorn to scream at Mike Sellers for dropping that ball? Not a lot.

It's no use arguing with those that have made up their mind and refuse to listen to logic and reason...

how do you know that? what if sellers responds to that sort of coaching? obviously neither of us know but youre just making a huge assumption with that comment.

i dont think coaches getting angry is "window dressing" at all. its just how some coaches are. yeah theres dungys and bellichicks who stand there and look expressionless, then you have grudens and coughlins who explode all the time.

and how do you know our players arent lackadaisical? what if an outburst would help something? im assuming we'd have heard about it by now had zorn been doing it, it was always said that gibbs used to explode just not in public. something needs to change. if its not gonna be the players or coaches, maybe an attitude adjustment is in line?

what were doing now does not work, has not worked, and will not work. something needs to be changed. if it does not, you can expect these sort of comments from cooley, the fans booing, and us vastly underachieving on the scoreboard.

how do you know that? what if sellers responds to that sort of coaching? obviously neither of us know but youre just making a huge assumption with that comment.

It was always said that gibbs used to explode just not in public.

Just like you assume that Zorn doesn't fly off the handle in the locker room?

When the coach can only say "well, you can't catch the ball for them" and then it happens again and again, with nobody riding pine, why even bring it up? Why decide to run the ball exclusively after that? Just keep throwing it up there....

I do agree with you somewhat on this.

Sonny Jurgensen used to call his own plays, and LOTS of times if one of his receivers had a bad drop on a pass, he would go right back to that guy on the very next play. That's smart for a number of reasons. He KNEW the guy would hold on to the ball with every ounce of his being so he didn't ef up two plays in a row. And invariably the guy would make the catch. It showed the guy that Sonny still had confidence in him. And it allowed the guy to shake off the bad play immediately without letting it stew, and get his head back in the game.

ok cooley maybe we,the fans, are over reacting or maybe not. check this out win we play dallas, philadelphia,giants,atlanta, field goals alone will not beat these teams. we all not this is a fact, so the only way the redskins can change our mind about the season is to score more touchdowns, preferrably more than 17 pts. i haven't given up on the team but if i was to make a judgement on the last two games we will not win the division or make the playoffs. score touchdowns and silence the crowd. i agree a win is a win but we can't keep winning by field goals alone. :point2sky

I do agree with you somewhat on this.

Sonny Jurgensen used to call his own plays, and LOTS of times if one of his receivers had a bad drop on a pass, he would go right back to that guy on the very next play. That's smart for a number of reasons. He KNEW the guy would hold on to the ball with every ounce of his being so he didn't ef up two plays in a row. And invariably the guy would make the catch. It showed the guy that Sonny still had confidence in him. And it allowed the guy to shake off the bad play immediately without letting it stew, and get his head back in the game.

That was 1/2 my point, but the other half is that Zorn shouldn't let non performance effect his game plan and replace the non performers with players who are hungry for action. Marko Mitchell could be Jerry Rice or maybe only a Sterling Sharpe, we don't know that yet, but he has the drive to succeed and he's not dogging it like Moss out there.

Don't just get all but hurt on the sideline and decide to waste a drive by running 2 times from 1st and goal at the 9 because you are mad at the receivers you chose to be in on those plays. Play to win. Zorn isn't doing that.

in your opinion, do you think the walkouts for the detroit lions and baltimore orioles had anything to do with them firing their GMs?

I know little and care less about baseball. But I would suggest that losing game after game, season after season was the reason the Lions fired Millen not some fan protest.

Its all about winning. Win and it makes everything else OK. Lose and the opposite tends to be the case.

I know little and care less about baseball. But I would suggest that losing game after game, season after season was the reason the Lions fired Millen not some fan protest.

Its all about winning. Win and it makes everything else OK. Lose and the opposite tends to be the case.

the lions were averaging 4 wins a season for millens first 4 years, and he kept his job almost 4 years after that. i think the walkout might have had a bigger impact than you think it did.

the lions were averaging 4 wins a season for millens first 4 years, and he kept his job almost 4 years after that. i think the walkout might have had a bigger impact than you think it did.

But believe it or not, his biggest downfall, the WR position, we spent more draft picks on than he did in the same span.

We are 1-1 and its game 3 coming up. If, say, we win the next 3 games by an average of 3 points and are 4-1 what then? Are you going to storm the Bastile and demand the head of Dan Snyder because we are 4-1 but not scoring enough points?

I agree with you that we need to produce more points on offense or, in the long run we will not be competing for anything this year. But ultimatley the objective is to win - you don't get extra syle points or a better record for winning margin.

Lets just wait and see how this all plays out before we start organising the lynch mobs.

I like Cooley and I think he's been one of the few bright spots this season. It's just funny how it seems Chris and everyone on the team are echoing the sentiments that "A win is a win." Most times that is the case and I would agree with SSM in saying that I would take 9-7 wins all the way to the Superbowl. What bothers me were the comments from last week about how they could/should be blowing teams out, yet when we get a hapless team in here, they can't manage to put up on touchdown. Not to mention the fact that the week before we only saw one offensive touchdown. It just seems like we've been seeing this :pooh: for the last 8 or 9 years and it's growing old.

We are 1-1 and its game 3 coming up. If, say, we win the next 3 games by an average of 3 points and are 4-1 what then? Are you going to storm the Bastile and demand the head of Dan Snyder because we are 4-1 but not scoring enough points?

I agree with you that we need to produce more points on offense or, in the long run we will not be competing for anything this year. But ultimatley the objective is to win - you don't get extra syle points or a better record for winning margin.

Lets just wait and see how this all plays out before we start organising the lynch mobs.

agreed the objective is to win, and style points do not matter. however, if we can only muster 9 against the rams that does not bode well for playing any of our division rivals or any of the other good teams in the league. so while yes, a 2 point victory over a 2-14 team from last year is still a victory, it gives no confidence for other games.

and our offensive woes are not woes at this point, they are a trend, and if that trend isnt stopped and were losing because of that trend, the pitchforks and torches will be out in full force.

Archived