Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskinsblog: Robert Henson Interacts With The Public In A Much Better Way

DixieFlatline

I debated, but felt like this was different enough to be in its own separate thread. From the redskins blog

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/09/22/robert-henson-interacts-with-the-public-in-a-much-better-way/

Rookie linebacker Robert Henson made the front page of the newpaper today, and it wasn't a good thing. As most people have probably heard, Henson was shaken by the negative reaction of the crowd at Sunday's game and expressed his disapproval very publicly via Twitter, which then got more public when the mainstream media picked it up. I'm not going to go over the whole story here; the front page story on the Washington Post describes all the lurid details, and you can read it there if that's what you're looking for.

That whole incident took me completely by surprise, and not just for the obvious reason that you don't expect a football player to berate the fans. Here's the thing: when the rookies came in this year, Henson came across as a level-headed guy who was extremely grateful for the opportunity he had received, and the more I found out about him, the more I felt like that initial impression was confirmed.

Lest you think this is just me backing up someone who's part of the organization, the guys over at Hogs Haven -- as talented and independent of bloggers as you could hope to find -- managed to somehow arrange a dinner with Henson and his family, and came away with pretty much the same impression.

What didn't surprise me was that Henson apologized for the incident; anyone would've, of course, but talking to him, I thought he seemed legitimately contrite.

And, through a mostly fortunate quirk of timing, Henson got a chance today to reach out to the public in a different, MUCH more constructive way, leading more than 40 burn survivors on a tour of FedExField.

Let me jump the obvious, cynical response first: this is not, repeat NOT, an opportunistic headline grab. "I don't want people to think I threw this together last minute," Henson told me. "We set it up probably about a month ago; it's a foundation that I feel is very close to my personal experiences as a child."

The timing of the event was built around two separate things: first, Henson actually making the team, and second, the schedule of this year's International Burn Camp. The purpose of a burn camp, according to Tony Burke of the International Association of Fire Fighters Burn Foundation, is to give "them a chance to meet other survivors and gain strength and know they're not alone. It gives them a place of being safe and comfortable."

The injuries from burns, Burke explains, go beyond the physical. "Our society is cruel for the most part; they ridicule and it's all about looks, and if you have a facial disfigurement or scars on your body from your injury, it's really challenging to live through that," he explained. "A burn injury is something that lasts a lifetime, and it's important for us to give them opportunities to build some skills, some courage, and some self-esteem."

see above link for full story

I wasn't one who cared THAT MUCH about Henson's tweet. It shouldn't have been said ("dimwits" and "McDonald's") but I wasn't interested in seeing him cut or suffer beyond a public rebuke.

As we should remember on this board, because someone gets upset with something we say doesn't mean they're actually a jerk and terrible human being, even if they overreact or say the wrong things in response.

Pretty cool of him.

I still don't get the "outrage" over what he said.

I think a lot of people took offense to the way he belittled the people who work at McDonald's and the people that don't make as much money as him.

He's lucky he ended up having the physical talent to be a professional athlete and be able to make that much money. He's got to be more humble.

I think a lot of people took offense to the way he belittled the people who work at McDonald's and the people that don't make as much money as him.

He's lucky he ended up having the physical talent to be a professional athlete and be able to make that much money. He's got to be more humble.

It was misinterpreted.....

He was basically saying that the average joe has no idea what is best for the team and he is completely on the money. We all really don't have a clue most of the time.

It was misinterpreted.....

He was basically saying that the average joe has no idea what is best for the team and he is completely on the money. We all really don't have a clue most of the time.

While that may be true, he also said something along the lines of "No I didn't play and I still made more money than you in a year."

I don't see how that can also be misinterpreted.

While that may be true, he also said something along the lines of "No I didn't play and I still made more money than you in a year."

I don't see how that can also be misinterpreted.

...and that was a dick comment out of anger, but a dick comment nonetheless.

I just don't see why people want to crucify the guy for being upset with the fans.

exactly.

i don't care if he lashes back at the fans when they boo them out of the stadium (I was one of the boo'ers, its a shame he didn't understand what we were booing)

i care about the fact that he basically casted aside anyone who works a lower level job (< 20k /year i would say) in a way that mad ehim look like he honestly thinks he's better than those people. a guy who can't use correct grammar, and makes 400+k a year to sit on the sidelines not even dressed up.

I just don't see why people want to crucify the guy for being upset with the fans.

you mean his employers.

we're completely justified in boo'ing.

he's not justified in what he did.

if my boss comes and tells me i did a crappy job, and i turn around and say 'I'm better than you, what do you know?' then my ass is fired.

we can't directly fire hanson.

but we can boo him every chance we get when he steps on the field at fedex.

and this is coming from a person who (on this board, and to my friends) said I wanted hanson to make the team during preseason.

Me neither. I think he had a right to be upset at being booed after a win.

That being said, you don't say things like that. Read Hardcore's post. People that have had to struggle to get by in their lives have all the right in the world to be offended by those comments, made out of anger or otherwise.

Athletes are often viewed as people to look up to, people that work and train hard to make the money they do. He's got to live up to that and not take for granted what he's been gifted with. Honestly, a contract like his could be used up VERY quickly and he could very well end up being that 9 to 5 McDonald's guy unless he emerges as a better person and player from this ordeal.

you mean his employers.

we're completely justified in boo'ing.

he's not justified in what he did.

if my boss comes and tells me i did a crappy job, and i turn around and say 'I'm better than you, what do you know?' then my ass is fired.

we can't directly fire hanson.

but we can boo him every chance we get when he steps on the field at fedex.

and this is coming from a person who (on this board, and to my friends) said I wanted hanson to make the team during preseason.

Employers? You are in no way his boss...You had no say on whether or not he made the team, and your booing has little to no effect on whether or not he stays on the team....

exactly.

i don't care if he lashes back at the fans when they boo them out of the stadium (I was one of the boo'ers, its a shame he didn't understand what we were booing)

i care about the fact that he basically casted aside anyone who works a lower level job (< 20k /year i would say) in a way that mad ehim look like he honestly thinks he's better than those people. a guy who can't use correct grammar, and makes 400+k a year to sit on the sidelines not even dressed up.

An ware did yoo lurn yer grammer?

Archived