Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaRon Landry was the best Cover Safety Last Year

21cents

My gripes with Landry are that he needs to tackle instead of gunning for the big hit and to keep his emotion in check. We can't afford continual mental lapses leading to a 15 yard penalty. I think he's solid, but with some fine tuning he could become great.

Great safeties accumulate personal fouls. ST did Rodney Harrison did, and Adrian Wilson still does.

All of them are ferocious hitters, the kind of murderous intensity you have to maintain all game long will inevitably lead to some personal fouls. You can't celebrate the big hits and then not expect the penalties.

Personally, I'll take 3 or 4 PFs a year if it means he never loses that intensity.

lol this is like the Campbell vs. Tom Brady thread.

Landry vs Ed Reed? Not even close

next up: Casey Rabach vs Kevin Mawae

Give it time. Landry is in his third year where Ed Reed is in his 9th. What they do on defense is also a bit different, but there will come a time when Landry will be as good as Reed is now.

I don't understand why so many have so quickly turned their back on Landry. It's not like he had a bad game Sunday, I watched the game too.

People will be back on his nuts by the end of the year.

Great safeties accumulate personal fouls. ST did Rodney Harrison did, and Adrian Wilson still does.

All of them are ferocious hitters, the kind of murderous intensity you have to maintain all game long will inevitably lead to some personal fouls. You can't celebrate the big hits and then not expect the penalties.

Personally, I'll take 3 or 4 PFs a year if it means he never loses that intensity.

But he doesn't tackle well anymore and he got I think two personal fouls in one game? Or am I making that up? Either way, he just goes for the hit instead of the stop, and he looked like he was on a revenge mission against Jacobs that failed miserably.

Give it time. Landry is in his third year where Ed Reed is in his 9th. What they do on defense is also a bit different, but there will come a time when Landry will be as good as Reed is now.

I don't understand why so many have so quickly turned their back on Landry. It's not like he had a bad game Sunday, I watched the game too.

the point of the thread wasn't that LL will develop into a great safety, it was that he was the best cover safety last year... I have hopes that as our pass rush develops, it will allow LL to play closer to the line and put him around the ball more cause he does have play making ability...

and he definitely has the skills to be a pro-bowler, whether he has the work ethic and drive remains to be seen...

I've mentioned this benchmark for measuring Laron Landry's maturity and effectiveness this year... if he ends up the season with more interceptions than personal foul penalties, I'll consider the season a success for him.

I'm keeping track. So far he's oh and one.

LOL......hes not off to a good start....

If in fact those stats are true, it's proof that they can be terribly misleading. Ed Reed is a first ballot HOFer.

I was just in a conversation yesterday about this very topic . . . and I said that BEHIND Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu, I'd take Laron Landry as the third best cover safety in the league (in terms of just pure coverage). If we played him in the box, I'm sure Dirty Thirty would make a strong case for best Strong Safety in the league.

I wouldn't.

Because with those personal fouls comes undisciplined tackling and poor mechanics and a lack of turnovers.

Great. He hits someone hard. They don't usually fumble and most of the time there's a flag after the hit.

Landry has tons of potential, but right now I don't even think he should be starting. Too careless and doesn't make enough plays to put up with the carelessness.

Unless you're the coach and you know what play was called how can you have a "thrown at" stat for safeties? Unless they're in Man and he's checking a LB which doesn't happen often for a FS. I question these stats. I'll go by every scout, analyst out there that would say Landry isn't in the same neighborhood as Ed Reed.

Thinking landry isnt going to be as good as the one of the best safety's in the NFL anytime soon isnt "turning your back" on him.

I'm not sure Landry prepares well enough to be on Ed Reed or Troy Palamalu's level. It annoys me no end that he misses offseason activities. What we hear is that laron doesn't need to show up to be in shape. He obviously doesn't need to be here to be in shape, he is always in shape. He needs to be here in film study. Ed Reed studies tape constantly, and we ought to here the same thing about Laron.

The 15 yard penalties are ridiculous, but Palamalu had two in week one, Sean had them constantly.

I think the tackling bit is overblown. The reason Laron misses tackles is that he is flying up from the deep secondary without time to break down. He doesn't miss tackles in deep coverage or when playing the LOS.

What goads me about Laron is that he has the physical talent to be as good es Ed or Troy, but doesn't seem to have the same instincts, which would put him a notch below, and also doesn't seem to put in the same preparation which puts him two notches below.

For those that keep calling for Laron to go, I think you'd be in for a rude surprise with Horton and Moore back there instead. laron is quite good, just not HOF caliber.

I dunno man, that last personal foul didn't seem very fear inducing, just stupid.

And it's not like I have it in for the guy. I said he was solid, he just needs to work on his game to make him that much better. I know everyone misses tackles, but a safety cannot miss a tackle because they are the last line of defense more times than not.

People tend think the Skins no.4 D is only because they were stout against the run, which is the identity of the line, but they were also like 7th against the pass . Landry is part of that .

Lets not also forget it was not until Taylor was in his third year he played well . Landry is entering into that third year and only his second playing deep center field exclusively .

The word "great" should never be mentioned amongst Rodney Harrison or Adrian Wilson...Second, this might be one of the most blindly "homerific" (I know that's not a word) that I have ever read here on ES...is someone SERIOUSLY comparing Ed Reed to Laron Landry. I also read the "Laron Landry is in his 3rd year and Reed is in his 9th" argument...well, how about you check and see how Reed fared in his 3rd season? This thread is laughable on many levels...You can debate on whether or not Landry is even a top 5 safety in the NFL right now. He borders on "overrated" IMO...

Sorry, but Landry couldn't carry Ed Reed's jock. Landry is an absolute beast physically, but is a headcase and a waste of talent. He goes for the big hit way too much and misses more often than not. And there's no excuse for the stupid 15 yard cheap shots at this point.

If he grows up mentally he has all the tools. But right now he's not even worth comparing to a guy like Reed.

I dunno man, that last personal foul didn't seem very fear inducing, just stupid.

And it's not like I have it in for the guy. I said he was solid, he just needs to work on his game to make him that much better. I know everyone misses tackles, but a safety cannot miss a tackle because they are the last line of defense more times than not.

Yeah, I could take ST's personal fouls because he absolutely mauled people out there. I saw him generate inertia with his body that seemed to violate the laws of physics. He just didn't seem to have enough mass to hit someone and have them get blown away as much as they did. It was unreal. And I've seen plenty of tape of receivers ducking out of a ST hit they could feel was coming, even when he pulled off.

Landry misses way too many tackles. Regardless of why, he cannot do that. The position is named Safety for a reason. He is supposed to be the last line of defense, literally. Even if he's not the last one with an opportunity to make the tackle during the play, his job is simply to not allow anyone to get by him. Ever. And by trying to make the knockout hit he all too often does just that.

I'm not saying he is not a very talented Safety. I'm saying he needs a lot of work on his fundamentals. Or, more importantly, his emotions. I have the strong suspicion he, like Moss, actually has better fundamentals than we see sometimes, but abandons them somewhat when he starts playing on pure emotion.

LaRon Landry was. He was only thrown at 19 times last season.

Lets compare him to ed reed.

For comparison's Reed was thrown at 32 times and allowed 15 Receptions for 190 Yards and 3 TDs. Landry was thrown at 19 times and allowed 8 Receptions for 148 Yards(mainly due to how deep off he played) and 0 TDs. Team's avoided LaRon more than they avoided Ed Last year.

PH2007082202938.jpg

OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Not stats!!! the haters only weakness..... oh wait, i forgot they just make all this up as they go along and pay no attention to the TRUTH

I wouldn't.

Because with those personal fouls comes undisciplined tackling and poor mechanics and a lack of turnovers.

Great. He hits someone hard. They don't usually fumble and most of the time there's a flag after the hit.

Landry has tons of potential, but right now I don't even think he should be starting. Too careless and doesn't make enough plays to put up with the carelessness.

I disagree that he doesn't make plays for us because he makes them more often than anyone else in the secondary--including Horton. He was one of two integral parts of our interception on Sunday (the other being Carter's pressure). Also he made a ton of huge tackles both around the line and in the open field, and he is playing so far off of the ball that it's impressive he can consistently get involved at all.

Yeah, I could take ST's personal fouls because he absolutely mauled people out there. I saw him generate inertia with his body that seemed to violate the laws of physics. He just didn't seem to have enough mass to hit someone and have them get blown away as much as they did. It was unreal. And I've seen plenty of tape of receivers ducking out of a ST hit they could feel was coming, even when he pulled off.
Sean made a lot of stupid penalties/late hits too. I don't understand your justification for letting him off and not Landry.
Landry misses way too many tackles. Regardless of why, he cannot do that. The position is named Safety for a reason. He is supposed to be the last line of defense, literally. Even if he's not the last one with an opportunity to make the tackle during the play, his job is simply to not allow anyone to get by him. Ever. And by trying to make the knockout hit he all too often does just that.
can you point out an instance Sunday where he missed the tackle for trying to go for a knockout and it burned us? I think I remember watching one or two missed tackles and both were near the LoS as he was getting blocked out of the play. And I saw Horton miss tackles too, everyone does. Landry almost never misses in the open field.

If in fact those stats are true, it's proof that they can be terribly misleading. Ed Reed is a first ballot HOFer.

I was just in a conversation yesterday about this very topic . . . and I said that BEHIND Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu, I'd take Laron Landry as the third best cover safety in the league (in terms of just pure coverage). If we played him in the box, I'm sure Dirty Thirty would make a strong case for best Strong Safety in the league.

Polamalu isn't that great at coverage. He gets beat a lot. Kerry Rhodes is way better and possibly Michael Griffin is too. Plus Polamalu doesn't play centerfield.

Archived