Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: The 2009 Redskins Practice Squad Takes Shape

corrupt3d

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/09/06/sunday-september-6-the-2009-redskins-practice-squad-takes-shap/

• Safety Lendy Holmes, he of the distinctive haircut
  • Fullback Eddie Williams, one of the team's 2009 draft picks (and now the second of two guys named Ed Williams in the locker room, with offensive lineman Edwin Williams)
  • Wide receiver Trent Shelton, which marks a great stride at repairing yesterday's damage to the team's Twitter presence
  • Defensive end Rob Jackson, a 2008 draft pick who spent last season on the active roster
  • Defensive end J.D. Skolnitsky, adding another local guy to the locker room

No Chase so far?

How many guys make the PS?

i liked the way holmes plays. he's a very solid tackler and always around the ball.

i think 7 was the max?

here are the rules son

The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad:

(i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience;

(ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s).

An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment. A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and been a member of the club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during his third Practice Squad season.\

Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $5,200 per week for the 2008-10 League Years and the 2011 League Year if it is an Uncapped Year, and $5,700 per week for the 2011 League Year if it is a Capped Year and the 2012 League Year, including postseason weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs. Higher salary can be negotiated.

In addition, a player under contract to a club as a Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with another NFL club during the season in order to be on the second club's Active/Inactive (i.e., 53 man) list.

A practice squad player may not sign an NFL Player Contract with his Club’s next opponent later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the sixth day preceding the game (except in bye weeks, when the prohibition commences on the tenth day preceding the game).

If another club signs a Practice Squad player to its 53 man roster it does not have to provide any sort of compensation to the player's former club but it generally must keep the player on the 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks, thereby mandating that he earns in 2007 the minimum first year salary for said 3 week period ($285,000 prorated weekly).

Also note that a team can add and release players from the practice squad as often as it desires and the eight (8) man limit does not have to be maintained. A player may be on the practice squad for two seasons; three weeks on the practice squad count as a season.

The League may elect to allow some or all Clubs to add to their practice squads one additional player, who shall not count against the limit above, whose citizenship and principal place of residence are outside the United States and its Territories (“International Player”). The League’s election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season

Did he sign somewhere? Somebody has to run the scout team during practice....

I asked that question in another thread but got no answers. So, what are the restriction regarding PS members. Can a PS player be active in the practices?

If all we need a 3rd QB for is to run the scout team, then why not bring in any other QB like Brohm (re-signed by the packers) or Booty? I believe they are better pro QBs than Chase. If taller makes a better NFL QB >_<

What does "First-year Player" mean? Is that the same as an undrafted rookie?

First year player means they never previously played in the NFL until this "first year"

DD played in the CFL (Dorsey signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2005) but haven't any NFL experience. And because AA never played a snap in the NFL (injured during last years' Denver camp) he is also considered a "first Year" player.

I think.

Exactly. I won't guarantee Chase is signed but they need somebody who is PS eligible to run the scout team. If they sign any of the other quarterbacks out there they have to cut somebody from the active roster. Don't see that happening.

Only if we sign from another team's PS. We can sign a waiver-wire player (those that have been cut) with two or fewer years NFL experience (minus those vets that have contract restrictions like Brohm of the Packers that make them really pricey to attain) and place him on our practice squad with no need to release a player from our active roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/06/brohm-decides-to-join-packers-practice-squad/

I think this is correct.

Vinny said that there was going to be a QB on the practice squad in his presser yesterday. The thought would be that it would be Daniel. However, it could be somebody else. All we're talking about here is running the scout team, so it doesn't really matter who it is for the purposes of development in the 'Skins offense.

Like that Holmes and Jackson got signed. Bummed that Dixon got picked up by the Eagles. Would like to see Brohm signed to the PS if he's eligible?

Dixon we be a stud with the Eagles..we will be left with Daniels,Wynn,Carter..LMfao we will have no pass rush for another year:chair:

I asked that question in another thread but got no answers. So, what are the restriction regarding PS members. Can a PS player be active in the practices?

If all we need a 3rd QB for is to run the scout team, then why not bring in any other QB like Brohm (re-signed by the packers) or Booty? I believe they are better pro QBs than Chase. If taller makes a better NFL QB >_<

A ps players purpose is practice. Before FA, IR guys could practice, so I could fill my practice needs with those guys while also developing them. The PS allows you to have a group of guys to practice with but not really develop them (except with a risk). It was a concession by the PA to make IR a true IR.

Archived