Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: London Fletcher hits hard

themurf

maroney083109.JPG

photo by Brian Murphy

It goes without saying that football is a physical sport.

Roughly seven minutes into the game Friday night, this was emphatically reinforced when Washington Redskins linebacker London Fletcher delivered a crushing blow to New England Patriots running back Laurence Maroney (as seen above).

Our initial reaction when we saw the photo was – damn, all that for a two-yard gain? But then we got to thinking – how would Redskins players react to the image? We decided to have a little fun in the post-game locker room. We simply walked up to a player, showed the photo and asked him to describe what he saw.

“I see a hit like that and I think it’s fantastic,” said defensive end Andre Carter. “That’s just fantastic. As Marcus Washington used to say, ‘That’s Riddell on Riddell.’ And on that play, the Redskins’ Riddell got the best of the Patriots’ Riddell.”

Naturally, offensive players had a different reaction.

“I’m just praying for the guy that he’s okay,” said tackle Chris Samuels. “That looks crazy, right there. I’m just gonna pray that he’s okay.”

Some players saw the hit as a possibility of things to come.

“I see a very hurt Patriot and a very happy Redskin,” said cornerback Fred Smoot. “That’s the image we want to have for our defense – very physical. We don’t care about all the other accolades. We just want to be very physical. We want offenses to know that when they play us, they gonna get hit.”

Is the body meant to bend that way?

“No, man,” he said. “That’s what football does. You get bent in ways the body can’t go, but we bounce back. We’re athletes.”

Some players saw the play as a missed opportunity.

Click here for the full article.

“Dang,” Landry said. “Ass all up in the air. Head all in the ground. Can I really say what I want to say?”

Absolutely.

“He got ****ed up,” Landry said. “That’s what I see.”

Yes he did, LaRon. Yes he did.

:rotflmao:

:rotflmao: at Landry's comment!

Murf, I know I always say this, but great article. I especially loved it and others because this is the kind of stuff you won't get anywhere. Great idea taking that picture around asking for thoughts on it, very original :applause:

Thanks a lot. Honestly, the entire idea was a big fluke. For some reason, I came up at halftime and uploaded my photos. That's not something I've ever done in the four or five years I've been around the team.

As the photos were going up on Flickr, I came across this shot and got the idea. I had the photo up on my phone and just let the guys have some fun with it. Thankfully, the Redskins locker room is a little friendlier than the Patriots' (As Tanner Cooley taught us this weekend) and the guys are used to my shenanigans.

I honestly was worried for Fletcher on that play when it happened... that was a crazy collision, and did you hear the sound it made?

But then I saw Fletch just get up and look to the sideline for the call like nothing happened and I was like "ok, that guy's a freak", lol.

Funny thing is.. Fletch missed the tackle on Maroney the play before to give up the first down on 3rd and short. He had a kill shot on Maroney but took a bad angle and kinda slipped subsequently attempting to arm tackle his legs. I guess Fletch decided to return the favor! I played MLB so when I saw this hit I had to rewind my DVR over and over and over just to hear the collision!

Great article..

PS: Man I miss Marcus Washington "Riddell on Riddell "! ha ha.. Can't we bring him back for some type of role on our defense?

Fletcher is my Duke.

LITANY AGAINST FEAR

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear - From Frank Herbert's Dune Book Series

© 1965 and 1984 Frank Herbert

Archived