Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More surprising: Top 5 Offense or Bottom 5 Defense?

kkauffman

This is an interesting question. You should make it a poll.

I'd be way more surprised if we were a bottom 5 defense. That would be shocking. I'm sure the more negative among us would say top 5 offense though.

The only way we are a top 5 offense is a young WR, Kelly, Thomas or Mitchell becomes a pro bowler type of player. And if our offensive line can find a way to gel.

The only way we are a bottom 5 Defense is if we lose Fletcher and Haynesworth for a serious amount of time.

We have had top ten defenses for the past five years, except for that one off year, 2006, when we were 31. So, stranger things have happened than to be surprised about having an off year with the defense.

However, the last time we had a top five offense was with Brad Johnson at the helm. I think a lot of Redskins fans have forgatten what a top 5 offense looks likes. And, I would be surprised if we broke that decade trend this year.

Clearly offense. Our defense has already proven itself formidable in the past few years, yet our offense has consistently lagged behind.

If we are a top 5 offense then that would presumably mean we have very good QB play, which would surprise more than just me. But I certainly wouldn't object to it :)

sweet thread,

i would say top 5 offense woiuld surprise me more...

Like others have said bottom 5 defense is unlikely but given injuries, offensive blunders, whatever it could happen its more about things we could lose that would make our defense suck

a top 5 offense hinges on a lot more, particularly our passing game and o-line to step it up which the last few years really hasn't shown much

Its much easier to play below expectations than it is to play above expectations so the top 5 offense would surprise me more. Honestly though, if we stay healthy on offense while other teams take injury hits, it is possible our offense could be up there. Injuries make or break our season quite often.

For me, I would be more shocked if our defense slipped to the bottom 5 than if our offense jumped up to top 5.

Like others said, it would take drastic injuries for this defense to drop that low. And even with injuries, this defense has shown in the past that they can still be somewhat effective with little talent. There is no way in my mind that the defense slips that low, even with injrues.

On the other side though, while it is very unlikely, we have the weapons on offense that are capable of a good offense. We have tons of weapons on offense, its just a matter of putting it all together (how many times have we heard that?). I would not be totally shocked to see us with a top 5 or top 10 offense. We have the tools, just gotta put it together.

Uhh....

what's more surprising: something that has a 0% chance of occurring OR something that has a 0% chance of occurring?

I lack the ability to answer that question because neither is happening.

our D has a chance to be top 5 again, although im not sure it will. top 10 most likely, even if we end up at number 6 thats more than awesome IMO.

going from 4th to 6th seems logical for the D.

going from 23rd to 5th does not seem logical for the offense.

Archived