Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN/FF: Portis not worthy of No. 12 pick

bishtw

This is a write up pretaining to FF but also speaks to Clinton's bad 2nd half and L.Betts new roles. I knew he was gonna be the 3rd down back but I didn't know he is the 2min situation back too. Also gives opinion on Clintons preseason preformance so far.

Portis not worthy of No. 12 pick

By Christopher Harris

ESPN.com

Clinton Portis is currently being drafted as the 12th running back in ESPN drafts. Is that too low? Or is it too high?

Clinton Portis was a beast in the first half of 2008: 944 rushing yards and seven scores, which put him among the league leaders in both categories. Unfortunately, in the season's final eight games, Portis battled an MCL injury and a decimated Redskins offensive line, managed only 281 yards on just 98 carries and didn't have a single run of more than 15 yards. He's still only 28 years old, but he leads NFL rushers in carries over the past two seasons by a wide margin, and is fifth among all active rushers in career carries. In other words: He's a ripened 28.

So which guy is Portis: the first-half star (when he was healthy) or the second-half dud (when he wasn't)? I have to admit that when I've done chats and answered e-mails over the summer about Portis, I've considered him borderline first-round material even in a 10-team fantasy draft. Simply based on talent, he is one of the 10 best backs in football, and you wouldn't consider him injury-prone. He's powerful, shifty, a terrific guy in blitz pickup, a valuable receiver and a great goal-line rusher. On multiple occasions this summer, I've been asked whether Portis should be a consideration over one of the stud wide receivers (say, Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson), and I've answered that he should at least be in the conversation. But now I'm not so sure. In fact, now I think Portis has lately turned into one of the 2009 preseason's most vexing players.

From what I saw in Washington's most recent preseason game, Portis looks a little slower to the hole, and thus a little more hesitant. No, a few exhibition carries shouldn't be enough to doom a guy to the old-age home, but I think we've seen enough formerly amazing backs lose that edge in their quickness over the past, say, five years to be leery when the first signs of a slowdown rear their head. Perhaps Portis' preseason "issues" (if issues they be) are related more to the Redskins' offensive line, which has to deal with a very beaten-up Chris Samuels at left tackle (his knee is already bothering him) and no Jon Jansen around for depth. Regardless, even the staunchest Portis apologist would have a difficult time beaming with pride over how the guy has looked so far. But by the same token, I don't feel sure enough of this assessment to automatically downgrade Portis.

Click here for the rest of the article

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2k9redskins32Q

He wasn't grabbed until something like 14 or 15 in my recent draft, and, honestly, I can't disagree with any of the earlier picks.

And DButz, you're really falling into the "kill the messenger" trap. Journalism gets kicked in the ass when all that matters is your Q rating. Read the damn article and judge it on its merits, not its byline.

He wasn't grabbed until something like 14 or 15 in my recent draft, and, honestly, I can't disagree with any of the earlier picks.

14th or 15th over all?

This guy doesn't think Portis is in the top half (16) of all starting RUNNING BACKS in the NFL.

Quoted from the article

"But anything earlier than, say, No. 17 or No. 18 among rushers, and I think the risk outweighs the potential reward. In other words: Yes, I think that as the No. 12 fantasy rusher in ESPN.com drafts, Portis is going significantly too high."

And DButz, you're really falling into the "kill the messenger" trap. Journalism gets kicked in the ass when all that matters is your Q rating. Read the damn article and judge it on its merits, not its byline.

The damn article? Alright

After reading

So which guy is Portis: the first-half star (when he was healthy) or the second-half dud (when he wasn't)
I stopped there because we all know it starts up front unless you are Barry Saunders, and honestly we will never see another runner like him. And when was he hurt? I dont seem to recall him getting injured, does he know something no one else does? I think not and he was just taking a jab at CP there, when in fact the OLine fell apart (it all starts up front)

I took Portis with my second pick I believe. My Fantasy Team is as follows:

Starters:

Tom Brady, QB

Clinton Portis, RB

Willie Parker, RB

Chris Chambers, WR

Terrell Owens, WR

Laveraneus Coles, WR

Chris Cooley, TE

Nate Kaeding, K

Redskins, DST

Bench:

Matt Hasselbeck, QB

Felix Jones, RB

Patrick Crayton, WR

Tony Scheffler(crap), TE

Cardinals, DST

I Chose Portis because I think he'll put up even bigger numbers this year. He was the number one fantasy rb the first half of last year.

I took Portis with my second pick I believe. My Fantasy Team is as follows:

Starters:

Tom Brady, QB

Clinton Portis, RB

Willie Parker, RB

Chris Chambers, WR

Terrell Owens, WR

Laveraneus Coles, WR

Chris Cooley, TE

Nate Kaeding, K

Redskins, DST

Bench:

Matt Hasselbeck, QB

Felix Jones, RB

Patrick Crayton, WR

Tony Scheffler(crap), TE

Cardinals, DST

I Chose Portis because I think he'll put up even bigger numbers this year. He was the number one fantasy rb the first half of last year.

Willie Parker is going to kill you.

The damn article? Alright

After reading I stopped there because we all know it starts up front unless you are Barry Saunders, and honestly we will never see another runner like him. And when was he hurt? I dont seem to recall him getting injured, does he know something no one else does? I think not and he was just taking a jab at CP there, when in fact the OLine fell apart (it all starts up front)

He took a helmet to the knee in the pittsburgh game i think. I think Betts is a better pass catcher than Portis so im okay if we are just throwing in a two min drive, but on a third and short must have running down, Portis better be in on that third down.

Unfortunately, in the season's final eight games, Portis battled an MCL injury and a decimated Redskins offensive line, managed only 281 yards on just 98 carries and didn't have a single run of more than 15 yards.

This is bogus.

He had more yards than that in 3 of those last 8 games.

I guess math is hard so the ESPN guys just make **** up.

Seattle 143 yards

SF 80 yards

Cin 77 yards

Add those 3 numbers up and every time it comes out MORE than their 281 number.

In fact, you can add up the lowest 6 yard games last year and Portis had more than 281 yards. So I have no idea where they got that number from, but it's BS.

And I counted 155 carries.

This is bogus.

He had more yards than that in 3 of those last 8 games.

I guess math is hard so the ESPN guys just make **** up.

Seattle 143 yards

SF 80 yards

Cin 77 yards

Add those 3 numbers up and every time it comes out MORE than their 281 number.

In fact, you can add up the lowest 6 yard games last year and Portis had more than 281 yards. So I have no idea where they got that number from, but it's BS.

And I counted 155 carries.

When I first read it I was like, no way... maybe the last few games not 8.

That is simply unacceptable journalism. Epic fail, really. :doh:

Portis is worth a 12th pick. I would not fall in love with the guy, though. If, like last year, he is our only offense for the first 8 weeks and gets way too many touches, I would trade him. If he has less than 150 touches at the halfway mark, he'll have a huge 2nd half.

Sweet. I love that every year, Portis is a consensus late second round pick on ESPN because that means I get him every year along with another stud running back. Suffice to say, except for 2006 when he was injured, he's never let me down.

As a Redskins fan who is very familiar with Portis as a player, it is HUGELY beneficial to me when ESPN scares people away from Portis. Portis is about as automatic as they come for FF, you know he is going to get you at least 1,200 yards and like 8+ tds every single year. Only LT is more consistently productive.

Currently I've got a team in five different FF leagues and Portis is on every single one of them. Unfortunately, the two leagues I'm in for money haven't drafted yet and they are both filled with other Redskins fans so maybe I won't be able to get him in those. We'll see what happens.

When I first read it I was like, no way... maybe the last few games not 8.

That is simply unacceptable journalism. Epic fail, really. :doh:

Yeah his last 8 games were 543 yards on 155 carries. I don't know where Harris got his numbers. He only got 2 touchdowns during that span but I've suffered much worse from a 1st round RB in FF (cough tiki barber and Shawn Alexander ruined me in FF in back to back years).

o-line o-line o-line o-line o-line o-line o-line o-line o-line o-line o-line

o-line o-line o-line o-line o-line o-line o-line

How mnay times does it have to be said.... o-line performance dwindled

in the second half due to injury.... If your line doesn't open holes for you,

then what can you do???

Archived