Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN: Beer Prices are going up

MattFancy

Next post in this thread had damn well better be related to the the article and/or not have anything close to politics it. Anyone who is guilty of either or both,drinks a 12 of "The Beast".

Light.

At room temperature.

From the can. battle-6.gif

So, that's how you found this message. Welcome.

Bottoms up. :chug:

I just moved from Chicago to DC. DC has no idea how expensive the alcohol here is. You can still get a 24 case of Bud/Coors/Miller Lite for 12 bucks there. You can get a 30 pack of High Life/Busch Light/Oldstyle/Icehouse for 12 bucks as well.

This whole area just has high prices for everything. It sucks.

Thanks, I've wanted to try brewing my own for some time now. When I can afford the equipment, I'll give it a try.

Check online, there are several places that will sell you the entire kit plus the recipe materials, you might also try some of the larger package stores in your area. I know mine carries home-brew stuff. I haven't yet made the plunge into home brewing but it certainly has an appeal.

Good call. :secret: You know, you can also build a kegerator too that works just as good, or better, than the commercially made units

Shoot me a PM before you buy, and I can point you in the right direction.

My kegerator was gifted, but it was old and beat-up. I brought it back from the dead and pimped it out, Redskins style. (I can't post pics from work, but I did post it ) Here's the old thread, I don't even know if the you can see the pics anymore http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=201690 I've actually upgraded it since then, (added a new door liner, door gasket, circulating fan and a stainless forward sealing faucet)

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I learned a lot about kegerators when I rehabbed this one. I can give you the type of information needed to make an informed decision before you purchase. In addition to being one of "those" beer snobs, I'm also a cheap ****, so you may end up saving money too!

Here's a good place to start. http://www.micromatic.com/Forum/us-en/ Best site on the web, bar none, when it comes to kegerators and beer dispensing. (No...I don't work for them...wish I did though!)

BTW, you do realize a savings, but the true joy of owning a kegerator isn't in the money saved. It's the fact that you have fresh draft beer anytime that you want! :pint:

I do admit that a pint for less than a buck beats the hell out of $4.00 - $5.00that they charge at your local bar!

I definitely remember your kegerator (its' a beaut) and thanks for the forums link, I'll be sure to do some research. I do know that you can buy one of the kits and build a kegerator yourself which I need to look into, although I'm not the most mechanically-inclined person around, which is what turned me off of trying that in the first place. But I will look into it and I will send you a PM for some guidance before making any decisions.

:cheers:

About how many cases do you get out of a batch of homebrew?

I used the Mr. Beer kit (which is why I called it a rookie beer, very easy to make) but the beer was great and you get about two gallons (about 21 12oz beers if I'm not mistaken).

I made their "High Country Canadian Draft" which tasted wheaty like a Hefeweizen, but they have a lot of varieties to choose from.

The hardest part is just being patient and waiting on it to mature and knowing the importance of having everything very clean and sterile.

I'd definitely recommend Mr. Beer for a first-time homebrewer.

A few years ago Tarhog brought a homebrew to the tailgate that had Makers Mark somehow incorporated in the brew and it was great.

That's the one. Miami opener 2007. That was an amazing batch of home brew. Had the effect of making the English language optional too. :2drunks:

That's the one. Miami opener 2007. That was an amazing batch of home brew. Had the effect of making the English language optional too. :2drunks:

I love how when things get like that people find a way to communicate with each other perfectly.

I took a trip to Northern Europe a few years back and got completely hammered with my buddy and some Germans in Copenhagen. One of them knew a moderate amount of English and we knew a minimal amount of German. When we first met, we got by on the small amount of each other's languages that we knew between each of us, but by the end of the night when we were all four completely gone, we were speaking in English and they were speaking in German, but all four of us understood everything perfectly.

I love how when things get like that people find a way to communicate with each other perfectly.

I took a trip to Northern Europe a few years back and got completely hammered with my buddy and some Germans in Copenhagen. One of them knew a moderate amount of English and we knew a minimal amount of German. When we first met, we got by on the small amount of each other's languages that we knew between each of us, but by the end of the night when we were all four completely gone, we were speaking in English and they were speaking in German, but all four of us understood everything perfectly.

Drunkese. The ultimate universal translator. ;)

Another option for DC-area people is Shenandoah Brewery on Pickett Street in Alexandria. You can brew and bottle your own beer on premises there. No muss no fuss, and you come out with really good beer. It ends up costing just a tad less than what you'd pay for premium beer retail. Each batch yields about 5 cases of beer. They have recipes to choose from for a variety of beers. You can use them, tweak them a little, or if you're more experienced, bring your own.

I would recommend it to any beer lover just to see how it's made. The results are really good.

A group of us made two batches earlier this summer - a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone and a Belgian Ale that was tweaked to taste like Chimay Red. Both turned out really good.

Drunkese. The ultimate universal translator. ;)

When we first deployed to Bosnia my little unit of 8 was the only one at the time that brought in Refrigerators which we filled with beer. During time off I went down to the Bar inside the Hotel we used as a Base of Operation and traded their hot cans of beer for our ice cold ones. A great way to make friends and network as well as be invited to cookouts by the Brits, Italians, germans, greeks, etc. :D :D

When we first deployed to Bosnia my little unit of 8 was the only one at the time that brought in Refrigerators which we filled with beer. During time off I went down to the Bar inside the Hotel we used as a Base of Operation and traded their hot cans of beer for our ice cold ones. A great way to make friends and network as well as be invited to cookouts by the Brits, Italians, germans, greeks, etc. :D :D

See? Beer brings nations together!

Ok, that's it, I'm craving now...goin' home gonna set a bottle of Young's Double Chocolate Stout out and by the time the kids are in bed it should be perfect!

C-ya

You've inspired me, my friend. I've hoarded a few of cases of Clipper City Heavy Seas Below Decks, ('06, '07 & '08 )

It's a Barleywine that just gets better and better with age. I'm drinking a bottle of the '06 right now.

It's indescribably smooth & delicious. It's so smooth that you don't even notice the ABV of 10%:evilg:

These days I pretty much only drink beer in the way of Heineken and Corona, and that's usually to top off my Margaritas. Magaritas made with Cabo or Patron.

I am also a huge fan of Grey Goose Vodka. The best Vodka out there (even if it does come from France)...you can pound shots of it like it's nothing. Never had a hangover after a night of Grey Goose either.

:cheers:

Ok, that's it, I'm craving now...goin' home gonna set a bottle of Young's Double Chocolate Stout out and by the time the kids are in bed it should be perfect!

C-ya

Sure. I can see it now. A night of watching MSNBC and drooling all over what Keith Olbermann has to say, you just drown yourself in all the alcohol you have(how much do you have in your house?) :silly:

Archived