Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN SN: Is Changing Allegiance Ever Ok?

MattFancy

I saw a Washington Post website comment yesterday which said something to the effect of, "Last season I started out rooting for local NFL team X, but I switched to local NFL team Y halfway through the season so I could root for a legit SB contender."

My immediate reaction: That guy was never really a fan of either team.

There are reasons for switching, but in my opinion they involve two possible types of situation:

1) A major life event, e.g. moving at least 100 miles; or

2) A slow shift away from one team and toward another, e.g. abandoning the Orioles by the late 2000s due to the accumulated asshattery of Peter Angelos.

I don't think moving is much of an excuse. I've been all over the world and never waivered.

Now sports I don't really give a **** about I'll switch teams no problem. But I wouldn't use the word "allegiance". More like interest.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't switch allegiance for any circumstance other than the team ceases to be.

There are reasons for switching, but in my opinion they involve two possible types of situation:

1) A major life event, e.g. moving at least 100 miles; or

2) A slow shift away from one team and toward another, e.g. abandoning the Orioles by the late 2000s due to the accumulated asshattery of Peter Angelos.

Speaking from experience, when I moved to Virginia Beach I was already a Reds fan by age 7. I kept that team despite the Mets having their AAA team one city over.

However, when I moved to California 17 years later, I met my future wife who was a Giants season ticket holder. I became a fan over time and rarely find myself cheering on the Reds these days.

Speaking from experience, when I moved to Virginia Beach I was already a Reds fan by age 7. I kept that team despite the Mets having their AAA team one city over.

However, when I moved to California 17 years later, I met my future wife who was a Giants season ticket holder. I became a fan over time and rarely find myself cheering on the Reds these days.

You were never really a Reds fan then.

In baseball I was always an Orioles fan. When the Nats started everyone asked me if I was going to be a Nats fan now, citing the team moving into your area codicile. I said if a major league team set up shop on my street, I'd still be an O's fan. No Sports Bigamy!

BTW, everyone in North carolina that switched allegiance from the Skins to the Panthers makes me sick!

Hail.

I saw a Washington Post website comment yesterday which said something to the effect of, "Last season I started out rooting for local NFL team X, but I switched to local NFL team Y halfway through the season so I could root for a legit SB contender."

This sounds exactly like a friend of mine from NYC who is a Jets and a Giants fan. The Jets are his favorite of the 2, but you never would have known it a couple years ago when the Gnats were making their superbowl run. He admits though that football is not his #1 sport, it just takes up time once baseball season is done (Yankees fan, would never root for the Mets).

I'm a hometown, DC-area sports fan. When I lived in San Diego I didn't grow to embrace the Chargers or Padres, I grew to hate them. Same thing in L.A. and especially Texas.

It's like the Olympics. If I move to Brazil, am I going to root for them in a gold metal match vs the US? Hell no. I'm going to be talking an unbelievable amount of ****. I can't dump my home.

Changing allegiance? Never ok. But I take no issue with someone who moves and supports the new home team in addition to their real team, so long as the new team is not in direct competition (and so long as they are not a rival) of the real team.

This sums me up....Before I moved to California, I enjoyed watching the Chargers since they are in no competition division or conference-wise with the Skins...so now that I live here, I have no hatred towards them. I root for them when the Skins aren't playing and especially when they play against the Raiders.

Now, I am a MUCH bigger Redskins fan than Chargers fan, so of course I'll be rooting for the Skins when we play SD in January.... but that game may actually make me hate the Chargers. We'll see.

Baseball- I grew up watching the Orioles (and I was also a Braves and Indians fan mostly because of Dave Justice), but when I moved out here, I started going to a TON of Padres games. So now I'm a Padres fan, but still have a special place in my heart for the Orioles. I was never a HUGE Orioles fan to begin with, though.

I was a die hard braves fan and still love them but when turner stopped carrying the games I was left with the orioles(who i still followed closely because i am from maryland) so Now I just follow The Os more bc they are always on tv and I LOVE THE YARD

When I went to the Os Braves game this summer I was very confused haha

by the grace of God I fell into being a Redskin fan.

I've never lived in DC and only been there twice in my life- however, when I was 7 we moved to the midwest-which is when I started watching football. I knew I was from Washington state and had no clue that the Washington Redskins were from DC...hey, I was 7. I guess my mom and older brother never paid much attention (he is a die hard steelers fan:doh:). The Redskins were really good in the early 80's- and I thought they were from the same Washington I was from. A few years later I realized the difference, but by then I was hooked. Been a fan now for 27 years. While I follow the Seahawks cuz they are a local team, I can't imagine switching alliances. I've already told people to bury me in Burg/Gold. Redskins fan til I die, and then some.

Archived