Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There's 1 Roster spot left.. Mitchell or Mason?

BleedinBurgNGold

I am going to say Mitchell because he is a draft pick and can learn way more than Mason. I think Mason is what he is a practice squad player. Mitchell on the other hand has the capabilities if brought along appropriately will be a stud. Besides, I think Alrdidge is the change of pace back that the Redskins are banking on. If Aldridge sees the field this week and remain injury free, I think this question will be mute.

If there is one spot left, I'd take Mitchell. He's exactly what this offense needs right now. He'll be great in the red zone for us during the season, if he makes this team.

I like Mason also but we're deep at RB. Mitchell can cause mis-matches as a 5th receiver. I'm really pulling for him to make this team. :helmet:

We need to implement the spread offense in practice in order for it to work in games and I don't think Zorn is going that route. It is a shame though.. That really would be something!

I say Mitchell! Cut Betts and sign Mason

Excellent post IMO as I that is what I think as well.:)

The dreaded Marko

No poll?

610x.jpg

He's an insurance policy for Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas.

He has Kelly size and Thomas speed.

There ought to be a, "caption this pic" thread for this pic. The amazing thing about it, is that Mitchell was well on his way down ehen he caught the ball.

I already voted Mitchell, but I'm voting for him a second time just for having the best nickname on the skins, Lanky Livingston!

Mitchell. easy.

in my ideal world, we would also:

-replace Betts with Mason, and

-replace Cartwright with Dorsey (or Aldridge, but only if he shows up BIG time now that he's healthy again)

then we'd have a poor man's Clinton Portis as our number two (that's Betts to a T, only with more effort), and a scatback as our #3. that sounds better to me than just the same skillset at all three spots, with decreasing talent down the line.

i don't like what i've seen from Betts since the 2006 season ended and, with other young guys stepping up on special teams, i don't think Cartwright is as indispensable as he once was. Dorsey/Aldridge can do the returns, Fred Davis and other young guys can handle coverage.

i admit that i don't know Betts' cap situation right now, so maybe he can't be cut.

Mitchell by a long shot for me

I agree, I feel Mitchell was completely underestimated by scouts around the league, including us. He is smart, tall, fast and has terrific hands. The guy doesn't drop the ball if given the opportunity.

I'd be pretty upset if he doesn't make the team as the #5 wideout. He could be used in goal line situations with the two tight end set, or one tight end, Malcolm, Mitchell, and Moss.

I don't see Alridge making the roster. I think Dorsey will make it before Alridge or Mason, just because he's more of a ST threat.

Alridge has to have a beast game to be kept i think. He is capable of it, but his back is against the wall now. He better make use of what healthy time he has left.

He is smart, tall, fast and has terrific hands. The guy doesn't drop the ball if given the opportunity.

I'd be pretty upset if he doesn't make the team as the #5 wideout. .

I agree with this. Mitchell is everything we wanted Kelly to be in his rookie year... minus the damaged knees.

The potential of this kid is big.

I think if we try to stash him on practice squad he is gone...

He is the perfect replacement for Kelly or Thomas if either goes down or cant perform.

Its the competition that both Kelly and Thomas have needed.

Ill be upset if he doesnt make the active roster.

Mitchell without a doubt!

Would love to get everyones thoughts. I say both if possible. But if we all had to pick just one based on what we have seen and know. Who would it be and Why?

I say... Mason by a hair. That's a tough one...

Have at it

Hail

:helmet:

For the record, Marko Mitchell ran a 4.49 in the 40 in the combine. Comparably, the Eagles' much hyped 1st round receiver Jeremy Maclin ran a 4.48, officially.

6'5, runs a 4.48, good hands and a good attitude - what's not to love? These types of players are the gems that you hang on to and nurture and develop over some years. Kudos to Vinny Cerrato, Scott Campbell and the rest of the FO for unearthing someone with such tremendous potential.

With all the praise he's received in camp, and given how much better he's looked as a receiver than his competition, he's got to be the surefire choice for the 5th receiver spot.

It would be a HUGE mistake to let Mitchell fall to another club. He is a true diamond in the rough! And I believe Kelly has now passed Thomas by from what I've seen of game film. And if Thomas is not careful, he may fall behind Mitchell. Mitchell is pushing both of them hard!! Mitchell could be one of the great steals of this draft!

Dorsey has played pretty well too, but he has muffed the ball twice so far as well, which may come back to haunt him. I can't wait to get a good look at Alridge this week, he's supposed to have blazing speed.

It would be a HUGE mistake to let Mitchell fall to another club. He is a true diamond in the rough! And I believe Kelly has now passed Thomas by from what I've seen of game film. And if Thomas is not careful' date=' he may fall behind Mitchell. Mitchell is pushing both of them hard!! Mitchell could be one of the great steals of this draft![/quote']

Where'd you get game film!?

:)

Mitchell by a mile. Over the past 3 years when was the last time one of our Top 3 Wrs have played all season, we need good receivers and that is what this kid is going to be. Portis and Betts will not miss to many games between the two of them. I would love to see Mason at least play against a 1st team defense at some point to see if he can do it. He has proved he can beat up on the 2nd and 3rd strings but that is it.

One thing about this argument is it's two totally different positions, chances are one won't affect the other.

There IS an open WR spot at #5, which Mitchell could easily surpass by the end of the season should he get picked up and continue to get improve

RB is not as open on the other hand. To secure a spot someone will have to demonstrate good RB skills, not just running the ball but also blocking and other duties that often get overlooked. The other alternative ,and more likely scenario, is to demonstrate superior special teams play, being a return guy would be a necessity. This means that Dorsey or Aldridge probably have a better shot. Mason most likely would have been picked up by now if he was usable, that's why he was released last year. He will most likely be offered a spot on the practice squad. He wasn't offerd a PS position last year because the FO thought he had a chance to play somewhere else, he got his chance and other teams had the same feeling we did.

In conclusion, Mitchell will most likely secure the 5th spot. Dorsey and aldrige have a decent shot at a return guy espeacilly if one can demonstrate potential as backup RB as well. Mason will be offer a spot on PS.

One thing about this argument is it's two totally different positions, chances are one won't affect the other.

Ahh, but you're missing the point. There's only 1 spot left and these are your only two choices. That may be unrealistic but it is the premise of this thread.

How is this even a question?

Lets see:

We have had issues at WR for many years.

Mason has struggled to pick up the playbook, blitz pickups and provides no special teams value.

In his first year, Mitchell has impressed in training camp, has improved in the areas they have asked like kick coverage on special teams, and is still improving.

I think its a no brainer.

Archived