Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A legal cheat in Dallas???

joeknows

i just read an article about the Tennessee and dallas game. admittedly i havent watched the game and this is the only article i have read.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Punt-hits-video-screen-at-new-Cowboys-Stadium?urn=nfl,184487

after reading about how a punt hit the score board... a thought sprang to mind....

if a punt hits the score board... it is a non play.....

jones has said he WILL NOT be raising the board.......

so in effect... punters cannot put the hang time on the ball allowing coverage to get under the ball... with a lower scoreboard ...punters have to kick at a lower trajectory... thereby losing their "loft".

with the coverage team not getting "under" the ball.... the receiving team has an advantage in open field before being met by any defender.

now i understand the argument that it "works both ways" .....but im inclined to feel that home field advantage is just that.

i feel something like this gives the cowboys an unfair advantage over visiting teams.....

what are your thoughts on this subject???

Their punter is under the same conditions. If one team has to kick it straight and low or funnel it down one side or another, so do they, and they have 8 games a year to deal with it.

I think he should put a big tube that will catch any ball that hits the board and then spits it out the other end like you have in a miniature golf course.

~Bang

Their punter is under the same conditions. If one team has to kick it straight and low or funnel it down one side or another, so do they, and they have 8 games a year to deal with it.

I think he should put a big tube that will catch any ball that hits the board and then spits it out the other end like you have in a miniature golf course.

~Bang

Ooh, and maybe a windmill?

~Bang

Why do I get a feeling that a brilliant new cartoon will be dealing with this subject? :D

Sure hope so. The humor from it is endless.

~Bang

:hysterical::hysterical:

Goddamn, that was funny!

Mind if I use that when I talk smack to Cowboys fans??

The advantage would lie in the fact that the Cowpatties play 8 games per year under the low-rider scoreboard, while visiting teams play only 1 game per year under those conditions and most NFL teams play 0.

So the Cowpies could conceivably build their special teams for ultra speed, to take advantage of those low-hangtime punts and the lack of downfield presence the kicking team suffers.

Now, as the kicking team, the Cowpukes would have the same disadvantage in coverage. But as the receiving team, their speed-tuned special teams would have an advantage over any visiting team, which by necessity would have a special teams corps tuned to returning the longer hang-time punts that they experience at their home field and at all other away games.

A return for a TD could make a difference in a game or two during the regular season. And imagine home-field advantage during the playoffs! Jerks.

Maybe a differently tuned punt return corps would cause a disadvantage during games at other stadiums. But since the Cowdingleberries can't win a playoff game anyway, they're only playing 16-17 games per year and it's basically a 50% advantage, 50% disadvantage situation given their 8 home games.

An incremental advantage at the new stadium (nickname: God's Butthole) might also lead to incrementally happier, more spend-happy home crowds. And that's good for Jerry's business.

The height of the thing was brought to the cowboys attention while it was being built, and they did nothing about it. Now that there are issues with it, they refuse to move it higher? :doh:

Why doesnt GOODELL or however you spell his name step in here? :chair:

I did watch the game and according to what was said. The rules are if the ball touches the scoreboard during a kick it is considered dead and will be kicked over. Basically a do over kick.

One issue that was brought up was that no one knows if touching the scoreboard is a reviewable play if no ref witnesses it. Like that particular game non of the refs saw it and did review it, but no one was aware of a rule that says it is during regular play.

However this will get interesting because if I was a coach of the opposing team, I would at no point instruct my kicker to do anything different with his kicks if they were being interfered with by the low hanging scoreboard.

I would kick it over and over and over again with hangtime to prove a valuable point to the NFL and mr. jones.

If one punt or kickoff took 13 tries because it was hitting the scoreboard I would do it!!

I'm am actually surprised that this was allowed by the league. I have a hunch that at some point in the season this will become and issue and mr. jones will be moving or raising the board per instructed by the league.

The advantage would lie in the fact that the Cowpatties play 8 games per year under the low-rider scoreboard, while visiting teams play only 1 game per year under those conditions and most NFL teams play 0.

So the Cowpies could conceivably build their special teams for ultra speed, to take advantage of those low-hangtime punts and the lack of downfield presence the kicking team suffers.

Now, as the kicking team, the Cowpukes would have the same disadvantage in coverage. But as the receiving team, their speed-tuned special teams would have an advantage over any visiting team, which by necessity would have a special teams corps tuned to returning the longer hang-time punts that they experience at their home field and at all other away games.

A return for a TD could make a difference in a game or two during the regular season. And imagine home-field advantage during the playoffs! Jerks.

Maybe a differently tuned punt return corps would cause a disadvantage during games at other stadiums. But since the Cowdingleberries can't win a playoff game anyway, they're only playing 16-17 games per year and it's basically a 50% advantage, 50% disadvantage situation given their 8 home games.

An incremental advantage at the new stadium (nickname: God's Butthole) might also lead to incrementally happier, more spend-happy home crowds. And that's good for Jerry's business.

this is exactly what i thought as i read the article..... i do feel it can be an advantage for exactly the reasons you stated...

one or 2 returns can affect a game and a season as well under conditions such as this...

I did watch the game and according to what was said. The rules are if the ball touches the scoreboard during a kick it is considered dead and will be kicked over. Basically a do over kick.

One issue that was brought up was that no one knows if touching the scoreboard is a reviewable play if no ref witnesses it. Like that particular game non of the refs saw it and did review it, but no one was aware of a rule that says it is during regular play.

However this will get interesting because if I was a coach of the opposing team, I would at no point instruct my kicker to do anything different with his kicks if they were being interfered with by the low hanging scoreboard.

I would kick it over and over and over again with hangtime to prove a valuable point to the NFL and mr. jones.

If one punt or kickoff took 13 tries because it was hitting the scoreboard I would do it!!

I'm am actually surprised that this was allowed by the league. I have a hunch that at some point in the season this will become and issue and mr. jones will be moving or raising the board per instructed by the league.

On a "do-over", do they reset the clock? One way this can be a huge advantage, and I hope a visiting does this, prefferably the Redskins, is to intentiaonally hit it to run out time in a half or game. Let's say you are up by less then 1 score, and you tried to run down the clock, but couldn't do it. There is around 1 minute left when you have to punt. You just keep kicking it off the scoreboard, until time runs out. Then on the last punt, if there is no time, you take a knee, or just kick it out of bounds.

Now, if they reset the clock, that play is no good. But I remember a coach in college doing the same thing a few years ago when they had the running clock on kickoffs. He had a guy stand offsides on every kick. Then they kept re-kicking until time ran out.

I'm surprised that's the rule.

I would have thought the rule would be either:

1) That if the ball strikes part of the stadium, then it's ignored.

(Just like the rule for officials: The official cannot interfere with the play. If, say, a thrown ball hits a ref in the chest, then some invisible force caused that ball to stop in midair right there.)

(Which, I think, is the rule for that "flying camera". It doesn't exist.)

2) Or that the stadium is out of bounds.

"Do over" seems like a bad rule, to me.

(Which, I think, is the rule for that "flying camera". It doesn't exist.)

2) Or that the stadium is out of bounds.

"Do over" seems like a bad rule, to me.

Actually that is why the topic during the game got brought up. They are applying the same rule for the flying camera above the field for the large screens above.

It the ball where to hit the flying camera above, it is considered a dead ball and there would be a do-over.

Archived