Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets Face It - It's Time to Cut Portis

JaimeDeCurry

Come on man i know you have better football sense than this. If we have no passing threat the defense can load the box to stuff the run. And ill say it again, No downfield passing threat coupled with a busted O-line = poor running game.

One of the reasons we had no passing threat was precisely because of the O-Line, though lol...I mean it's not as if we had this high powered passing attack for the first 8 games when Portis was buring up the league.

Um, sweetheart? Take a look at my posting history when it comes to Portis. You may change your mind.

But anyway, care to answer the original post? Why is it that we blame the offensive line for all of Portis' awful play down the stretch, but when it comes to Campbell, we demand that not only does he play well with that same offensive line, but even make statements such as "good QBs make their offensive lines better."

Why couldn't Portis do that with the offensive line then?

He was beat the hell up, he played in games he shouldnt have played in. A lot of people believe that in order to have a good running game, you need a gun passing game. Vice versa I guess, but the fact was we had no downfield game, defenses were not scared of the long ball, cause it didnt exist, therefore they gameplanned to stop Portis, by stuffing the box, or gameplanned to stop our little 6 yard outs or slants, which also resulted in stuffing the box or the short field, which obviously affects the running game.

CP had a great start to last year, but it was obvious by the end of the season that he can't hack it in this league. Let's just face it, guys...he's not an NFL-caliber running back. His last half of the season was absolutely terrible. Look at these numbers:

First 8 games: 944 yards, 5.0 ypc, 7 tds, 6 games with rushes over 20 yds, 5 100+ yd games

Last 8 games: 543 yards, 3.5 ypc, 2 tds, 1 game with a rush over 20 yds, 1 100+ yd game

Portis just cant handle it anymore. His dramatic dropoff in the second half of the season is indicative of the fact that - at best - he's just an average running back in this league. We definitely should have traded him this offseason, and gotten somebody in here who can produce. Portis is just mediocre, quite frankly.

I want some of whatever your smoking. Portis is one of the top 5 backs in the league. Your just mediocre, quite frankly.

Come on man i know you have better football sense than this. If we have no passing threat the defense can load the box to stuff the run. And ill say it again, No downfield passing threat coupled with a busted O-line = poor running game.

Just to play devil's advocate, what if the opposite was true? What if teams knew that we had no running game left, and so were able to focus more on dropping into coverage, therefore making the passing game falter?

If you were to take Jason's first half stats and figure he would continue on the same pace, he would have had:

152/230, 3508 yds, 16 TDs, 0 INT, with an average passer rating of 99.

Now obviously it wouldn't look exactly like that, but that's a pretty efficient passing attack. I think it's fair to say that our passing game in the first half of the year made things significantly easier for Portis.

One of the reasons we had no passing threat was precisely because of the O-Line, though lol...I mean it's not as if we had this high powered passing attack for the first 8 games when Portis was buring up the league.

I think what really happened was we ran out of plays to tell you the truth. We did well when our offense was fresh and new. Once teams had plenty of game tape on us then we began to get shut down. Also add a banged up O-line not playing up to par and you have the Redskins 2008 last eight games all wrapped up in a neat box. Campbell had no picks the first 8 games (i think it was first 8) so our offense did look solid. Hopefully year two we can install much more of the playbook. This offense can succeed as a whole, we have all seen it.

Plus, Portis wasn't the same last season after Troy Polamalu tackled Portis helmet-first in his kneecap (which I consider a cheapshot, naturally all the Steelers fans up here disagree that Polamalu's patented "helmet to the knee" tackle isn't a cheap shot).

I think what really happened was we ran out of plays to tell you the truth. We did well when our offense was fresh and new. Once teams had plenty of game tape on us then we began to get shut down. Also add a banged up O-line not playing up to par and you have the Redskins 2008 last eight games all wrapped up in a neat box. Campbell had no picks the first 8 games (i think it was first 8) so our offense did look solid. Hopefully year two we can install much more of the playbook. This offense can suceed as a whole, we have all seen it.

All very true in my eyes as well :yes:...limited playbook, defenses catching up to Zorn, O-Line becoming a disaster, limited options at wr, and Campbell's own deficiencies all added up to a less-than-impressive 2nd half of the season. Hopefully a lot of these things have been improved on this year, though...well, maybe not the O-Line lol :(

Just to play devil's advocate, what if the opposite was true? What if teams knew that we had no running game left, and so were able to focus more on dropping into coverage, therefore making the passing game falter?

If you were to take Jason's first half stats and figure he would continue on the same pace, he would have had:

152/230, 3508 yds, 16 TDs, 0 INT, with an average passer rating of 99.

Now obviously it wouldn't look exactly like that, but that's a pretty efficient passing attack. I think it's fair to say that our passing game in the first half of the year made things significantly easier for Portis.

Hey i agree with you there. I support Jason Campbell and don't put the blame on any one player. The entire offense broke down from top to bottom. Do i favor Portis because he is one of my favorite players on the team.... probably so. Also, sorry i got a little personal with the cut you from extremeskins remark and the i know you have more football sense than that comment. No need to go there and i apologize. Speaks highly of you that you didn't come back with snide remarks. Read my post a few posts up, that's what i feel happened to the offense at the end of 2008.

Plus it is a valid point - I have yet to hear any criticism of Portis for our offensive failings down the stretch, yet everyone is ready to behead Campbell and leave him at FedEx as a warning to all future Washington QBs.

Whether you think Jason is or isn't the answer at QB, your comparison to Portis is flawed.

Portis has established himself as a premier player in this league.

While Jason otoh, is trying to ascend to that same level. :2cents:

So that being case, it's only natural that Portis gets the benefit of the doubt.

Hey i agree with you there. I support Jason Campbell and don't put the blame on any one player. The entire offense broke down from top to bottom. Do i favor Portis because he is one of my favorite players on the team.... probably so. Also, sorry i got a little personal with the cut you from extremeskins remark and the i know you have more football sense than that comment. No need to go there and i apologize. Speaks highly of you that you didn't come back with snide remarks. Read my post a few posts up, that's what i feel happened to the offense at the end of 2008.

Portis is one of my favorite players on the team, as well. And I was fully aware that this thread was going to create some rather mean backlash, so no hard feelings there whatsoever. Some of the tags on this thread are pretty humorous as well. But threads around here have gotten boring lately, and I do think it's a valid point that nobody has really mentioned the utter failure of our running game as a major contributor to our offensive quagmire last season. Nothing wrong with stirring the pot a little.

Yeah, because when he runs for 500 yards less in the second half of the season, the fault obviously belongs to Portis.

Portis is the workhorse of this team. Our QB and WR issues are less imminent simply because 1) our defense, and 2) the fact that Portis can take the load and win us a game.

Thoughts of cutting him are unprecedented, and if you ask me, foolish.

Don't forget the "we have no change-of-pace homerun hitter to spell Portis".

Yeah, because when he runs for 500 yards less in the second half of the season, the fault obviously belongs to Portis.

Portis is the workhorse of this team. Our QB and WR issues are less imminent simply because 1) our defense, and 2) the fact that Portis can take the load and win us a game.

Thoughts of cutting him are unprecedented, and if you ask me, foolish.

Why is it that when Portis' production drops by half in the second half of the season we all attribute it to the fact that our offensive line was falling apart, but when Campbell's production does the same, the blame goes to him?

Portis is one of my favorite players on the team, as well. And I was fully aware that this thread was going to create some rather mean backlash, so no hard feelings there whatsoever. Some of the tags on this thread are pretty humorous as well. But threads around here have gotten boring lately, and I do think it's a valid point that nobody has really mentioned the utter failure of our running game as a major contributor to our offensive quagmire last season. Nothing wrong with stirring the pot a little.

I just look at Portis putting us on his back in 2005 and 2007 getting us to the playoffs. 2006 was a wash because he got hurt in preseason and then had his season shut down during the middle of the year. Last year he started strong and then like i said a few posts ago many things contributed to his diminished numbers for the 2nd half of the year. So i give him the benefit of the doubt.

The reason his production dropped off was because teams lost respect for our passing game and put more effort into stopping our biggest threat. Our passing game faultered due to injury along the line and JC not being able to make teams pay for sending the house at us. JC was not able to make teams pay because his options were either double covered and/or not getting open. JC is/was not the type to force it ala Farve, or your favorite QB. But with risk comes reward.

HTTr

CP had a great start to last year, but it was obvious by the end of the season that he can't hack it in this league. Let's just face it, guys...he's not an NFL-caliber running back. His last half of the season was absolutely terrible. Look at these numbers:

First 8 games: 944 yards, 5.0 ypc, 7 tds, 6 games with rushes over 20 yds, 5 100+ yd games

Last 8 games: 543 yards, 3.5 ypc, 2 tds, 1 game with a rush over 20 yds, 1 100+ yd game

Portis just cant handle it anymore. His dramatic dropoff in the second half of the season is indicative of the fact that - at best - he's just an average running back in this league. We definitely should have traded him this offseason, and gotten somebody in here who can produce. Portis is just mediocre, quite frankly.

Dude, it aint even worth it on here. I'll be glad when the day comes when we get our new, young, fresh legged BEAST RB. Portis doesnt have that take it to the house on any given run" speed any more. I'm tired of seeing him have wide open runs only to get tackled but someone he had no business getting tackled by. Thats the ONLY reason Im ready for him to not be our main back anymore. We cant keep leaving points on the board. Especially with our suspect QB and offense in general....Seeing what AP and DeAngelo Williams has done for their offense has convinced me that we are long over due for a new monster back. I love CP as much as the next fan, but dude cant be our starting back for the next 10 years, he's gotta go soon....

Why is it that when Portis' production drops by half in the second half of the season we all attribute it to the fact that our offensive line was falling apart, but when Campbell's production does the same, the blame goes to him?

Because only people who don't understand football believe that?

It IS the offensive line AND the lack of receivers that led to BOTH Portis and Campbell's struggles. No receivers and a non-existent line? Fourteen players in the box. Done.

That's how it was. It's not Portis at all, and he's easily the best offensive player that we have on the team, and he has been for, well, this decade.

Archived