Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 5 Signs a Marriage Will Fail - Wedding Planning

jrockster21

Heard these on the radio this morning, and was curious how many of you had some of these things, and whether or not your marriages are still intact. These are from actual wedding planners, who apparently take tabs, and keep track of who gets divorced and what not. I heard this a couple hours ago, so I am definitely paraphrasing, and they may be out of order.

#5 - Bride does not accept groom's input on anything, or trivializes it.

#4 - Bride goes way over budget on the dress, without telling the groom.

#3 - Mother of the groom is too involved, trying to make all the decisions.

#2 - Bride flips out over the bachelor party.

#1 - Bride and groom constantly bicker over everything.

Let's see ...

#5 is on the Bride

#4 is on the Bride

#3 is on the Mother of the Groom

#2 is on the Bride

#1 is on the Bride and Groom

I'm noticing a pattern here. Somehow I doubt it's never the grooms fault. :)

#1 and #2 definitely applied to my wedding. But we chalked that up to the fact that planning an event like that is very stressful. We've very happily been married for 12 years.

Let's see ...

#5 is on the Bride

#4 is on the Bride

#3 is on the Mother of the Groom

#2 is on the Bride

#1 is on the Bride and Groom

#1 and #2 definitely applied to my wedding. But we chalked that up to the fact that planning an event like that is very stressful. We've very happily been married for 12 years.

Well, they are also on the Groom for sitting by and watching all of this happen without getting involved, especially #3 and #2, the groom can control those two.

#5 - He doesn't care about the planning and has left it up to me. The only thing he wanted input in was what he and the groomsmen were wearing. So I turned that over to him and enjoy not having to worry about that! He's even allowing me to plan the honeymoon because I've traveled a lot and know what to look for, etc. I'm having more fun planning that than dealing with all the stupid wedding details.

#4 - My parents generously paid for my dress and I stayed within their budget as my mom was with me when I picked it out and approved.

#3 - My future mother-in-law is great, I love her to death. She hasn't interjected herself with anything except to tell my family and I to let her know if we need any help.

#2 - I don't care what he does for his party. Hope he has at least HALF the fun I did at my Vegas party. :evilg:

#1 - No

I'm getting married in a couple weeks...hope this means we have a good forecast for our marriage!

Yep. It means that he got lucky and so did she. :point2sky

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. :D

People quote the "50% of all marriages end in divorce" stat a lot. But as Churchill said, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I don't know about the numbers you're using, but in college one of my sociology professors pointed out that the rate of remarriage is much higher than the rate of marriage, so that 50% number is rather skewed by the people that get married a bunch of times.

I don't know about the numbers you're using, but in college one of my sociology professors pointed out that the rate of remarriage is much higher than the rate of marriage, so that 50% number is rather skewed by the people that get married a bunch of times.

OK, I thought it was excessively off-topic, so I put this in the "random thoughts" thread. But now it seems to fit, better.

Folks at the table next to us in the restaurant, just now, talking to each other. One of them was claiming that, supposedly, in Jacksonville, 75% of marriages end in divorce. (As opposed to the national statistic, which is just slightly over half.)

The numbers behind successful marriage are much more telling.

95% of marriages succeed where:

1. The household income is over $150,000

2. Both parties come from an unbroken home

3. They have some form of religion in common

4. The spouses have had less than 3 sexual partners in their life

I realize those four qualifiers are a bit stringent, but that just blew my mind. Even if you take out one of them, the success rate doesn't drop much.

We have all but #1 (she's a stay-at-home mom). We've been married for seven years, and it's been great.

That goes without saying... but this is a list of things observed by wedding planners, who generally only witness a very limited scope of the relationship and stereotypically deal with the groom in an extremely limited fashion.

Funny thread.

Not to bring too much seriousness to this, but I found this amazing.

People quote the "50% of all marriages end in divorce" stat a lot. But as Churchill said, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

The numbers behind successful marriage are much more telling.

In short, "marriages before WW2".

:)

13% of the US right there. Not helping your point.

Another drill down.

average man sleep with 7 women in his lifetime. another drill down.

So basically if two people from a segment of a 10% or fewer population meet and marry... BAM they win. It's like that panther cologne, 30% of the time it works every time!

What constitutes an "unbroken home?" My parents divorced when I was 8. They lived a mile apart from each other and a split weeks between them until I went to college. Just wondering if that qualifies or not. If it does, I don't think we have anything going for us except #3, sort of. And #1 eventually, down the line.....awhile.

13% of the US right there. Not helping your point.

Another drill down.

average man sleep with 7 women in his lifetime. another drill down.

So basically if two people from a segment of a 10% or fewer population meet and marry... BAM they win. It's like that panther cologne, 30% of the time it works every time!

Why in the seven hells would you try to debunk a post with completely irrelevant data?

Since it's shark week...

Me: Whale sharks don't eat people.

You: But Great Whites do!!!! Your point is destroyed!!! HAAHAHAHAHA!!!

;)

What constitutes an "unbroken home?" My parents divorced when I was 8. They lived a mile apart from each other and a split weeks between them until I went to college. Just wondering if that qualifies or not. If it does, I don't think we have anything going for us except #3, sort of. And #1 eventually, down the line.....awhile.

For the purposes of the study, yeah, that'd be a "broken home." I have a close friend that's in that exact situation as a single mother. She's raised 4 kids, and they're exceptionally intelligent, gifted, and compassionate. They're some of the most well-rounded and well-adjusted people I've ever met. You got nothin' to worry about.

And hey, man -- the glass is half full. There's no study that says "people with only #3 get divorced 95% of the time." My two best friends married each other (yes, one's male and the other one's female) and they have exactly 0 of the criteria. I'd just about bet the farm that they're gonna be together forever.

We fail three of those. :D

Most of the wedding-related "indicators" of future divorce seem to be about a lack of trust and a lack of cooperation. I can see the vast majority of marriages failing when that is the case.

I had 2 1/2 of those when I was married and it didn't work. Of course, my ex husband was banging a chick at work. That sort of canceled everything else out. :doh:

#5 - Bride does not accept groom's input on anything, or trivializes it.

What did she say, "You ain't stickin' that little thing in me!":silly:

#4 - Bride goes way over budget on the dress, without telling the groom.

She wore a dress her mother had made. (Not a wedding dress)

#3 - Mother of the groom is too involved, trying to make all the decisions.

Got married at the courthouse. No family, no friends.

#2 - Bride flips out over the bachelor party.

Didn't need one. Plenty of years of being a single man whore.

#1 - Bride and groom constantly bicker over everything.

Nah. ***** knows her place.;)

Together now 28 years. 21 of them, married.

Til death do us part.

Weddings, dresses, and pictures don't make, or break, a marriage. It takes two people willing to work, together. If that will isn't there during the planning, it doesn't mean it won't eventually come, but sure is not the best way to start, one would think.

Sure sign of divorce = wedding planning.

I laughed. :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sometimes you see a couple for whom planning the wedding seems far more important than planning the marriage. Baaaaaaaad sign.

Men have exactly ONE role to play in a wedding- Show up, on time, dressed, sober.

I asked my wife (key word asked) for 2 things at our wedding. 1- A live band instead of a DJ. 2- A full liquor bar. She was fine with that.

Other than that, I have no idea why any man WANTS to be more involved.

Amen Brother Kilmer17!!!

I picked out my tux and who I wanted to be in the wedding in terms of my guys...other than that I let the wife run the show...we will be married for 6 years in exactly a month, with no issues at all.

Men have exactly ONE role to play in a wedding- Show up, on time, dressed, sober.

I asked my wife (key word asked) for 2 things at our wedding. 1- A live band instead of a DJ. 2- A full liquor bar. She was fine with that.

Other than that, I have no idea why any man WANTS to be more involved.

You nailed it.

The only things I was involved with in the wedding planning was what we were going to have for our rehearsal dinner (A crab feast), the choice of beer at the reception and what kind of Tux my Best Man, my Ushers and I wore.

Other then that I had no involvement and none of these things on the list happened to me.

I have been married for 27 years now.

Archived