Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason La Canfora interview (Redskins mentions)

Chrisbob74

I managed to snag an interview with Jason La Canfora, formerly the Redskins beat reporter for the Washington Post and now the NFL Network's chief reporter. A few Redskin bits in there and he avoided a question I asked about if the team could ever win with Dan Snyder in charge.

JLC interview

FD:

Given you followed them for so long, how do you see your old beat, the Redskins, doing in 2009?

JLC:

I think they could be a 7-9 win team, at best, but I can't see them making the playoffs in that division.

Follow Football Diner at facebook or via Twitter too.

What a surprise! He predicted them to win 5 games in 2005 on Comcast. Loser. I can't even watch the NFL Channel now that he is on.
If you check out some other NFL team boards, a lot of people are upset La Canfora replaced Schefter. I was never a big Schefter fan myself, but it still boggles my mind that JLC got such a high profile gig.

If you check out some other NFL team boards, a lot of people are upset La Canfora replaced Schefter. I was never a big Schefter fan myself, but it still boggles my mind that JLC got such a high profile gig.

If you read the interview, he talks a little about his struggles when the Redskins made it clear they weren't his number one fan but to his credit he still broke stories on them. I think that has helped him earn a good reputation within the media community.

If you read the interview, he talks a little about his struggles when the Redskins made it clear they weren't his number one fan but to his credit he still broke stories on them. I think that has helped him earn a good reputation within the media community.
I also recall him being fairly petty in his reporting, with his obvious dislike of Snyder, Cerrato, and probably other people inside Redskins Park showing through in a decent amount of his articles.

Jason Reid so far is twice the beat reporter JLC was.

I also recall him being fairly petty in his reporting, with his obvious dislike of Snyder, Cerrato, and probably other people inside Redskins Park showing through in a decent amount of his articles.

Jason Reid so far is twice the beat reporter JLC was.

A matter of opinion I guess. Regardless of that, he still managed to get most of the breaking news despite the team trying hard to keep him on the outside.

I like JLC, but I can't believe he is saying he can't see us in the playoffs. We are the only team in the division that get better in the offseason. The Giants lost Buress, Toomer, and Spangnolo; The Cowboys lost TO; the Eagles lost Dawkins and unfortunately the late Jimmy Johnson. We lost Springs, but have the depth to cover it, added Haynesworth, Rak and Dock. The Giants may have added to their strength on the d-line, but they ignored all their weaknesses, and lost a great d-cord.

I know that you hate Campbell, the whole world does, but Portis too? Seriously?

I'm not sure I understand you Cliche. Does the whole world "hate Campbell" or are you suggesting that the whole world knows that "I" hate Campbell. In any event, you should not personalize. Its rude. The only thing I hate is losing. The Skins' Offense ... centered on Campbell and Portis is inept ... time to move on ... the sooner the better ... otherwise that great Defense will toil in vain.

I like JLC, but I can't believe he is saying he can't see us in the playoffs. We are the only team in the division that get better in the offseason. The Giants lost Buress, Toomer, and Spangnolo; The Cowboys lost TO; the Eagles lost Dawkins and unfortunately the late Jimmy Johnson. We lost Springs, but have the depth to cover it, added Haynesworth, Rak and Dock. The Giants may have added to their strength on the d-line, but they ignored all their weaknesses, and lost a great d-cord.

I agree, others just don't see it. GOOD. :point2sky

A matter of opinion I guess. Regardless of that, he still managed to get most of the breaking news despite the team trying hard to keep him on the outside.

It's true, JLC did get most of the breaking news, from all his sources at ESPN. His breaking news just happenned to be behind everyone elses breaking news. Hmmmm, maybe there was something to that.

Oh, and my favorite line of the entire interview was his response about being fair and objective and then calling for the Pats to win it all this season. Yes, as a Patriots fan and Boston homer, very very fair and objective. Fantastic job as always JLC!

Not really. In the last 12 months of his beat he got regularly schooled by other reporters (mostly national) to scoops right in his own backyard (Taylor and Cutler to be precise). He was considered more of a Redskins Outsider than a Redskins Insider.

Archived