Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Many Defensive Shutouts?

2Legit2Quit

I think we have the right team to cause shut outs. We control the clock. We run the ball a lot. Jason Campbell rarely throw interceptions. Jason Campbell rarely throws the deep bomb that'll lead to a quick score (putting the opposing offense on the field quicker)... Our defense usually did a really good job at hold teams till the last quarter. They would bend but not break (allowing just field goals or forcing punts). Though, as the game wore on, our players fatigued and began allowing touchdowns. I think with the defensive focus this offseason, we have greater depth and possible rising stars.

All that said, shut outs are very rare. I wouldn't be surprised if we got one but I sure won't bet on it.

Raiders- If Russel is still in the line up by that point in the year we can force him into alot of mistakes and keep him jumpy the whole game.

Eh, I think Russell is a little bit underrated, I see him having a decent year in 2009.

All I ask for are two shutouts.. :dallasuck

I'll piggyback on that. A lot of times, shutouts also snowball. What I mean is, if your offense isn't scoring either, then the opponent can stay two dimensional. If we beat a team 13-0, there's really never a time when they have to abandon the running game and allow our D to tee off and dominate. So, long story short, our offense might have to pitch in to increase the likelihood of a shutout.

If our offense would finaly pitch in and play as good as our D does, we could watching a Superbowl champion this season for real. If our D can finaly get some pressure and getto the QB, then we definitely have a shot at pitching a shut out this season.

I'm gonna' go out on a limb and say "none."

What he said. As nice as it would be, shutting down an opponent for the full 60 minutes is as rare as rocking horse ****.

As potentially great as the D could be this year, I hope folk temper their expectations and don't go over board on them in disappointment if they don't gel and click from the get-go; or if the O carries on in the vain it ended last year and the D subsequently suffers as a consequence of the burden of expectation carrying the team game on game, like last year.

Hail.

As much as a I love the Skins and the way we played "D" in 2008... I don't think we think we will pitch a shutout.

For us to do that we need a VERY VERY dominant D Line and awesome LBs. With the addition of Albert we have a decent D line. Our LBs are going to be our achilles heel this year. London is old, and getting slow ... and, there is noone else who is disruptive in the mold of Ray Lewis to create havoc in the backfield.

I'll piggyback on that. A lot of times, shutouts also snowball. What I mean is, if your offense isn't scoring either, then the opponent can stay two dimensional. If we beat a team 13-0, there's really never a time when they have to abandon the running game and allow our D to tee off and dominate. So, long story short, our offense might have to pitch in to increase the likelihood of a shutout.

To further piggy-back, at 13-0 in Q4, the opposition may go for the TD as opposed to the FG.

I say none. I think the defense may be a bit overhyped in the offseason. It wouldn't surprise me if we were actually somewhere about 5-10th in defense this year. You've got to remember that we were not playing like a 4th ranked defense last year, so we could improve and still slip in rankings.

Where I see out improvement is in turnovers and pass rush. Hopefully we'll be top 10 in those areas.

Not to mention that if our offense spends as little time as it usually does on the field then it's not going to matter anyhow and shut outs will be impossible.

Most shutouts rely on a big mistake or two by the team that gets shutout in addition to the winning team not making mistakes (except ones matched by another mistake on the part of the loser). Almost all of the shutouts I've seen include a missed FG or two or a dropped TD pass.

Precisely. However, I'd like to see at least 1 just because, and I'm picking the Rams. They're the lowest scoring team from last season on our schedule this year, their O-line is porous, they don't have many playmakers beyond Stephen Jackson, and it's a home game.

Remember the Rams game from last year ?

They'll be even better this year.

Precisely. However, I'd like to see at least 1 just because, and I'm picking the Rams. They're the lowest scoring team from last season on our schedule this year, their O-line is porous, they don't have many playmakers beyond Stephen Jackson, and it's a home game.

While I agree with you in theory, remember that the Rams marked the beginning of our free-fall last year. Bad news. :) I was there for that game and I've never been more depressed leaving the stadium :puke:

Archived