Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Many Defensive Shutouts?

2Legit2Quit

When was the last time you can remember our D recording a shutout?

Looking at the potential of this defense makes me think that the elusive "0" on the scoreboard is a real possibility this year...

How many shutouts do you predict for the 2009 Skins D and what teams will be caught in our wrath?

Here's our opponents in 2009:

@ Giants

VS Rams

@ Lions

VS Buccaneers

@ Panthers

VS Chiefs

VS Eagles

@ Falcons

VS Broncos

@ Cowboys

@ Eagles

VS Saints

@ Raiders

VS Giants

VS Cowboys

@ Chargers

I say 2 shutouts:

Raiders- If Russel is still in the line up by that point in the year we can force him into alot of mistakes and keep him jumpy the whole game.

Eagles- Last year our defense played their best against McNabb and Co. and who's to say, with our additions, that we can't keep them scoreless?

I don't really care about shut outs, just like I don't care if we win by 49 points. I just want wins; ugly wins, dominating wins, whatever.

But since you asked, Detroit is always a possibility. Also, maybe the Bucs. Honestly though, I doubt we'll shut anyone out.

I say none. I think the defense may be a bit overhyped in the offseason. It wouldn't surprise me if we were actually somewhere about 5-10th in defense this year. You've got to remember that we were not playing like a 4th ranked defense last year, so we could improve and still slip in rankings.

Where I see out improvement is in turnovers and pass rush. Hopefully we'll be top 10 in those areas.

I don't really care about shut outs, just like I don't care if we win by 49 points. I just want wins; ugly wins, dominating wins, whatever.

But since you asked, Detroit is always a possibility.

Precisely. However, I'd like to see at least 1 just because, and I'm picking the Rams. They're the lowest scoring team from last season on our schedule this year, their O-line is porous, they don't have many playmakers beyond Stephen Jackson, and it's a home game.

I don't see us shutting out anyone this year, it's just too hard to do. Does anyone recall the last shutout?

I just looked it up. Our last shutout was in 1991 when we shut Philly out 23-0, which was the third home game shut out in a row that year.

I'd be happy with just one shut out to be honest. Though it doesn't matter so long as we win.

* Home Game Opponents:

Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Saints, Buccaneers, Rams, Broncos, Chiefs

* Away Game Opponents

Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Panthers, Falcons, Lions, Chargers, Raiders

I DO NOT see us shutting out the damn Eagles. I hate them but they have the best O-line in the league this year and they're offense WILL be a challenge. It will be a D vs. O type thing and very entertaining but no shutout.

I can see us shutting out Dallas. They are going to base their game from running and we will excel at stopping the run with all of the monsters we have up front.

I can also see us shutting out Oakland and Kansas City. Oakland had like 7 yards or something against an Atlanta defense last year so yeah...

I don't know, since free agency all the really hard core defenses are a thing of the past. I've only seen two...the 2000 ravens and the 2002 bucs that bring that hype.

Pitching a shutout is difficult in these times, I'd rather see a defense that puts up points

I don't know, since free agency all the really hard core defenses are a thing of the past. I've only seen two...the 2000 ravens and the 2002 bucs that bring that hype.

Pitching a shutout is difficult in these times, I'd rather see a defense that puts up points

I'll piggyback on that. A lot of times, shutouts also snowball. What I mean is, if your offense isn't scoring either, then the opponent can stay two dimensional. If we beat a team 13-0, there's really never a time when they have to abandon the running game and allow our D to tee off and dominate. So, long story short, our offense might have to pitch in to increase the likelihood of a shutout.

I just looked it up. Our last shutout was in 1991 when we shut Philly out 23-0, which was the third home game shut out in a row that year.

I'd be happy with just one shut out to be honest. Though it doesn't matter so long as we win.

Thank you, I had a feeling it was that season, but wasn't sure.

I'll piggyback on that. A lot of times, shutouts also snowball. What I mean is, if your offense isn't scoring either, then the opponent can stay two dimensional. If we beat a team 13-0, there's really never a time when they have to abandon the running game and allow our D to tee off and dominate. So, long story short, our offense might have to pitch in to increase the likelihood of a shutout.

I'd like to see that, Its been a while since the offense has allowed the defense to "Tee Off". that has to be a contributing variable as to why the defense doesn't turn the ball over or rack a high number of sacks. How many points above their opponent does a team need to be before a defense can start to Tee off? I'd think at least 10

Archived