Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Many Defensive Shutouts?

2Legit2Quit

I don't really care about shut outs, just like I don't care if we win by 49 points. I just want wins; ugly wins, dominating wins, whatever.

But since you asked, Detroit is always a possibility. Also, maybe the Bucs. Honestly though, I doubt we'll shut anyone out.

I sorta see where you're coming from, but i'm going to disagree. If we're winning ugly, that is not the sign of a dominant team with superbowl probabilities, it is a sign of a team that is 1 play, call, or lucky/unlucky event away from a win/loss, probably still has a lot of weaknesses and isnt a complete team yet.

I sorta see where you're coming from, but i'm going to disagree. If we're winning ugly, that is not the sign of a dominant team with superbowl probabilities, it is a sign of a team that is 1 play, call, or lucky/unlucky event away from a win/loss, probably still has a lot of weaknesses and isnt a complete team yet.

I don't quite agree that winning ugly means a team can't go all the way. The Steelers certainly won ugly a few games, and by a lot of improbable plays. Including in the SB. And don't forget the Pats-Ravens game from 2007. That was the definition of winning ugly. I'm not saying we're the Pats or Steelers, but total domination all the time isn't always necessary, or likely.

The play of your offense and special teams contributes a lot more than you'd think when it comes to Defensive shutouts. Our Defense could have all the talent in the world, but if our offense doesn't hold on to the ball for long stretches or if our teams guys don't get our D solid field position, they're just not going to shut out anybody.

Another key to getting shutouts is turnovers. Our D just doesn't force enough turnovers to be able to prevent points regardless of field position. I mean, it's easy to give up a field goal by no fault of your own if your offense gives the ball away; you have to be able to get the ball back if your O gives the other team a short field. The addition of Haynesworth might help the pass rush a little, but forgive me if I don't expect big improvements in the turnover department, especially with a defensive end playing linebacker.

If our D can become extremely more opportunistic, which again I doubt, especially in our bend and not break scheme, and if our offense can improve to the level of at least average, we have a shot at getting one. However, it's far more likely that we don't get any at all. The D scheme is built to give up 3 points or 30 yards of field position almost every series instead of a TD, our offense goes three and out too much, and our special teams aren't going to be giving us great field position very often. Shutouts seem very unlikely.

I do think that they will keep teams from scoring a lot of TD's but Blache has a tendency to let teams get FG's as long as he keeps teams from getting "6". Because of Blache's style, I don't think we'll shut many teams out, if any. Blache is not Rex Ryan who doesn't play soft at all, like almost never. Blache is kind of a situational type D signal caller. At times he get's super aggressive, but then there are times when it seems like he plays prevent/soft D if they've got the lead. Blache is the ultimate "bend but don't break guy", so unless that changes b/c of some of the new talent he has on the D line, I don't think they'll shut out a single opponent this year. Just sayin'.

^^^^

see....I didn't even read beyond the first page. Ask PCS, he'll tell ya ;) I don't often read more than the first page lol! I agree with that guy ^^^^^

I don't quite agree that winning ugly means a team can't go all the way. The Steelers certainly won ugly a few games, and by a lot of improbable plays. Including in the SB. And don't forget the Pats-Ravens game from 2007. That was the definition of winning ugly. I'm not saying we're the Pats or Steelers, but total domination all the time isn't always necessary, or likely.

Sure vs another high calibre team, i'll take an ugly win, but that can be attributed to 2 top teams facing off and one wins ugly. but when ugly wins become the norm, that is not a good sign, and being complacent and saying a win's a win, even if we played like ****, is not acceptable.

As the resident Detroit-based Skins nut, I feel compelled to point out that the worst team in the history of the NFL was not shut out a single time last year. The chances of us shutting anyone out aren't great.

In fact...and this hurts...the Lions scored more points per game than the Redskins. That single fact scares the jeepers out of me. We have no reason other than unbridled optimism to believe things will be better on the offensive side of the ball. Of course, I'm an unbridled optimist, so I'm drinking the "Second year, Campbell's better, young WRs are stepping up, Zorn's a genius" Kool Aid.

And just so I don't get accused of hijacking a thread with offensive doom and gloom...

1 shutout. Against..hmmm...the Bucs.

I don't see us shutting out anyone this year, it's just too hard to do. Does anyone recall the last shutout?
I ...But since you asked, Detroit is always a possibility. Also....
Detroit is definitely a possibility.

Damn - we almost shut out Dallas in '05, remember that? That would have been sweet. Still 35-7 is nothing to be ashamed of.

IIRC we beat Detroit 20-0 on Thanksgiving Day quite a while back. Not sure if that was our last one.

When was the last time you can remember our D recording a shutout?

Looking at the potential of this defense makes me think that the elusive "0" on the scoreboard is a real possibility this year...

How many shutouts do you predict for the 2009 Skins D and what teams will be caught in our wrath?

Here's our opponents in 2009:

@ Giants

VS Rams

@ Lions

VS Buccaneers

@ Panthers

VS Chiefs

VS Eagles

@ Falcons

VS Broncos

@ Cowboys

@ Eagles

VS Saints

@ Raiders

VS Giants

VS Cowboys

@ Chargers

I say 2 shutouts:

Raiders- If Russel is still in the line up by that point in the year we can force him into alot of mistakes and keep him jumpy the whole game.

Eagles- Last year our defense played their best against McNabb and Co. and who's to say, with our additions, that we can't keep them scoreless?

You can guess the age of the thread starter by the topic. LOL.

We are going to finish in third or fourth place in our division. Again.

I don't think you can predict a shutout. It depends on how team is playing going in. If they've been struggling to score points, then the likelihood is stronger. For the Skins, I think it's possible that they can shut somebody out, but not a guarantee. As other have already said, shutouts are very rare in this league, especially when the rules have been changed so that there are more points scored.

You can guess the age of the thread starter by the topic. LOL.

We are going to finish in third or fourth place in our division. Again.

you can also guess the age of the replier by the pessimistic and condescending replies that don't even pertain to the thread topic.scrooge

you can also guess the age of the replier by the pessimistic and condescending replies that don't even pertain to the thread topic.scrooge

Please. You are still wet behind your ears. I was watching games while you were just a gleam in your dad's eye.

Your youth tells you that if someone doesn't say pleasant things, then they must be a pessimist. Sit back, and listen. It will help you grow up faster.

I just looked it up. Our last shutout was in 1991 when we shut Philly out 23-0, which was the third home game shut out in a row that year.

I'd be happy with just one shut out to be honest. Though it doesn't matter so long as we win.

slightly OT, but yeaaaaah Brett Favre... week 11, 56-17 smashing of the Falcons, he went 0/4 with 2 picks. I didn't remember that he played against the 91 team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199111100was.htm

Archived