Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: The future of coach Zorn rests in Campbell's hands

JimmiJo

Agreed.

Edit: I would also like to see Zorn's offense run with a true WCO QB, whether that be Colt or whoever.

I left Jason out of the equation because I honestly don't believe that this offense takes advantage of his best attributes.

I share the same beliefs Brave.

What team do you think would take him ??

In one regard, an injury to some QB in the league during pre-season could open up interest in Campbell instantly.

Beyond that, there a are a number of teams lacking quality QB play. If Oakland could unload Russell, I think they might do it. Maybe a three-way trade with Campbell going to Oakland, Russell somewhere and we get something.

He could go to Tennessee to back up Kerry Collins and be groomed some more. Vince Young could be traded.

Others could include San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Minnesota, and more.

I think the premise that Zorn's future is tied to Campbell is unwarranted. Zorn's future is tied to Dan Snyder's opinion of his abilities. I think Snyder has a plan, at last, and wants continuity with it. Jim Zorn will keep or lose his job based on his own performance.

It doesn't matter who is taking the snaps this season if our O-Line can protect them. It will be very interesting to see how Campbell does this year with all of the offseason "motivation", a slightly improved line and Devin Thomas in his second year. Not to mention a more comfortable sense of the system. Hopefully he'll be able to execute more plays this year since they ran out of them last year. Maybe even a two-minute drill. Call me crazy! http://floridaskin.blogspot.com/

He didn't miss your point. You just glossed over the fact that Hixon said, "Bonehead", "Last Year" , "in a mild sense". Hixon also said that his receivers like that he throws into coverage allowing them to make plays. Meaning he trusts his receivers. Not sure if the next part is in jest, but the coaches don't want him to make plays like that. Meaning either they lack confidence in the QB and receivers to make plays, or they are too scared (My words) and want to play it safe. Either way, Colt has progressed to doing things the way the coaches want it done and has become technically more sound as a QB.

In other words, Hixon said Colt has improved and you are trying to twist the post into saying Colt is a Bonehead and continues to be a Bonehead. Or did I make a mistake?

Dude you are missing the point.

Colt made boneheaded mistakes and threw the ball up for grabs in practice, it doesn't make him a bad QB it just makes him a rookie 3rd string QB.

But, that isn't the point.

You're buddy Zskins pulled this statement out of thin air in an effort to show that:

Players say nice things about their teammates

and therefore when players say nice things about JC its "fluff" because players always say nice things about their teammates.

Okay, are you still with me?

The quote from Hixon clearly shows that a teammate/coach doesn't always say only nice things.

Which shows that Zskins is once again using flawed logic in an effort to prove a point.

What about when Stan Hixon comes on the radio and says the players love Colt because he is not afraid to throw in the middle and in double coverage. But some would argue that is just fluff talk and what you are saying can be the same as well. All players on a team will stick up for their teammates and they should.

Do you understand the point now?

I love how some of you are trying to get rid of Campbell before he's even taken a snap this season.

Patience is a virtue. Yeah, I know. You've been patient.

But tell me, geniuses: What would cutting him now, this close to the season, do for anyone besides make crap more difficult?

DG, maybe you should read that article by Cooley where he states that he has to say nice things but it helps when you believe them. Maybe he was joking, but I don't think so. Everyone knows that a team player doesn't want to call out his teammates and create strife. So, unless you want to be ostracized, you toe the team line and lingo. Besides, Campbell isn't really bad, I just don't think he's good or great.

Zskins basically paraphrased the same quote. I also agree with what he said, unless a player thinks he is above the organization and is confident that they can command the money from any team. To me, it sounds like you both agree that teammates should stick up for each other same as Redskins fans should do the same when talking about Dallas or the Giants.

Hixon's a coach, so he's supposed to be critical when appropriate. Tough balancing act to manage the personalities of 53 men. Can you imagine what it must be like to be the coach of a WNBA team?:doh:

DG, maybe you should read that article by Cooley where he states that he has to say nice things but it helps when you believe them. Maybe he was joking, but I don't think so. Everyone knows that a team player doesn't want to call out his teammates and create strife. So, unless you want to be ostracized, you toe the team line and lingo. Besides, Campbell isn't really bad, I just don't think he's good or great.

Zskins basically paraphrased the same quote. I also agree with what he said, unless a player thinks he is above the organization and is confident that they can command the money from any team. To me, it sounds like you both agree that teammates should stick up for each other same as Redskins fans should do the same when talking about Dallas or the Giants.

Hixon's a coach, so he's supposed to be critical when appropriate. Tough balancing act to manage the personalities of 53 men. Can you imagine what it must be like to be the coach of a WNBA team?:doh:

Dude, forget it...

HTTR!

I love how some of you are trying to get rid of Campbell before he's even taken a snap this season.

Patience is a virtue. Yeah, I know. You've been patient.

But tell me, geniuses: What would cutting him now, this close to the season, do for anyone besides make crap more difficult?

Hold on to him as a number 2, he will be a great number 2 in this league for a long time.

Zorn's future will be determined by 2 scenarios. First, JC does well this year and it is all attributed to Zorn. Or second, JC flops and Zorn needs to decide to what level he advocates for JC. If Zorn gives it the "let's just work through it" and we end up 4-8 in the first three quarters of the season, Zorn should start packing. But if we go 2-3 or 2-4 and Zorn pulls the plug on JC, he may have a chance to be around next year. Advocacy for a player is expected but if it's bad for the organization, you have to have that tough conversation.

Snider did nail it. And sadly for Zorn, I don't think JC will come through for him.

I really want to see JC do it this year, but I don't think he will either. The worst part about it is we might not be able to see how good Jim Zorn's offense really is because of the poor qb play. If Todd Collins or Colt Brennan comes out burning it up in preseason, and JC can't get over his scoring drought by week 5, hopefully Zorn will fear for his job and make that change.

Yet another thread hijacked by the Coltists... :doh:
I think Colt is going to be something special, but if a change is made as of now it won't be Colt replacing JC, it will be Collins. For all we know, this guy could come in and save the season again. Plain and simple Jason Campbell has earned a short leash!

I wish people would understand that JC is constantly playing behind an old beat up o-line, with a RB that runs way more then he should and is beat before mid season, different offense every year (saunders and gibbs were not on the same page i dont care what you say), and poor play calling. I do agree that he makes some bad decisions at times but he's still improved every single year and imo i think if we replace him he's gonna exel somewhere else and make the skins look like idiots. Seriously Campbell excels when he calls his own plays in the hurry up offense then the coaches start calling plays once we get in redzone and we dont score

A comment to those unhappy about the emergence of a Campbell vs. Brennan debate:

A thread about Zorn's fate being linked to Campbell's success is going to result in people speculating on Campbell's success.

And if some people have doubts about Campbell being successful; then they'll want to speculate on what Zorn could do. That in turn brings up the question of whether Zorn brings in Collins, Brennan, or some other veteran QB skilled in the WCO. Some would dispute whether Zorn should put all his eggs in Campbell's basket and stick with him the whole season, regardless of how the offense was performing under Campbell.

Consequently, it's natural there would be speculation about the Skins' talent at QB -- which in turn gives rise to ES posts on each of the QB's ability to lead the team. ...So maybe we should relax a bit if someone (Colt fans, Jason fans, Todd fans, etc) favors one particular QB over another, or points out how their 'guy' might be the best candidate. After all, it's off-season speculation, right?

Hopefully we have several bona-fide NFL starter quality QBs in the fold, and that they can guide the Skins offense to putting up lots of points!

^^ Gets old doesn't it? I just mentioned it in another thread...the guy has done zilch and he's the second coming of Sammy Baugh.

Glad to see you are coming around:D:laugh::D

Yeah, I don't think Campbell has any option to stop a QB controversy other than winning games by throwing some passes. If he flounders a ground swell of boos at home with rise to levels not heard since Brad Johnson/Jeff George. Just seeing those two names together makes me ill. I don't know what Colt will do this pre-season but it is going to be watched very closely. I do wish Campbell the best in this, his make it or break it year with the Redskins. And NO, he won't be staying on as the number two, it just does not happen that way.

And Zorn has too much riding on this year to let Campbell flounder around.

For me, this thread's main focus is whether Zorn's fate should rely on Campbell having a great 2009 season, and the Redskins making the playoffs. I don't think this is fair to Zorn. Most coaches get at least 3 years and a chance to get 'their' players plugged into the system that the coach developed

Zorn inherited a lot of different types of players designed to different systems. You have Saunders' type of QBs, fun-&-gun QBs, Gibbs types of RBs and WRs, and an aging 'Hog-like' line being asked to handle a differnt type style of offense then they ae used to. Then, to top it off, you have a starting QB who's a mix of about 6 different systems, and it's not clear what kind of system he's the best fit for. Sorting this all out will take time.

I think Zorn is a coach with a lot of upside -- he's innovative, but needs time to build in the fundamentals of his offense before he goes too razzle-dazzle. And building in the fundamentals isn't all about changing the playbook -- sometimes it's about developing/changing the players too. Even with a good coach -- these things take time to gel, or to get sorted out.

Let's also be candid about QB. Zorn needs the right QB to run his offense -- Zorn's WCO may have had to allow a Gibbs power running game grafted onto it, but it's a quick and decisive passing game that is needed for the offense to be successful. So the Skins offense's fate is linked to Campbell's emergence as a bona-fide franchise-style QB. Will Campbell bloom this year? If he doesn't show significant progress this season, how much time does Zorn get to show he can be successful with another QB --one he didn't inherit?

Dan Snyder has patiently waited 4 years plus Campbell. He should give Zorn the same kind of consideration. I think Zorn will turn out to be one of the better coaches in the league. I earnestly believe that --given time and owner support in managing the players --Zorn will be better than either Cowher or Shanahan.

Does Rick Snider think this story constitutes "reporting?" I feel like I've read this article 100 times, from sports writers, bloggers, message board posters... I can't wait for the season to start so they can write something--ANYTHING--new. :yawnee:

Excellent point!

Bottom line is no one knows. Right now, there are no games, so there is nothing else to talk about except this kind of stuff and uniforms. Training camp starts soon, then we can start to see how the team chemistry is.

I never saw or read anything which suggests that the team thinks he's not the future QB.

Huh?

Are you serious?

What about trying to trade for Cutler? What about trying to trade for Sanchez? What about bringing in Leftwich (and don't buy that BS about bringing him purely for backup)? Drafting Colt and then Chase Daniel to have options at the position?

Or, I don't know.... maybe.... REFUSING TO EXTEND HIS CONTRACT OR EVEN DISCUSS IT?

Those kind of signaled pretty strongly the team thinks he is not the future at QB.

Does Rick Snider think this story constitutes "reporting?" I feel like I've read this article 100 times, from sports writers, bloggers, message board posters... I can't wait for the season to start so they can write something--ANYTHING--new. :yawnee:

Actually, there was a new tidbit in there that I didn't know - Jason Campbell was traded for 2 first rounders.

Four years after trading two first-rounders to draft Campbell...

Here I thought that the Redskins essentially gave up a 4th and a future 3rd to use their 2006 1st a year early. Who knew?

Archived