Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: The future of coach Zorn rests in Campbell's hands

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/The-future-of-coach-Zorn-7983833-51055257.html

The future of coach Zorn rests in Campbell's hands

By: Rick Snider

Examiner Sports Columnist

July 19, 2009

Albert Haynesworth won't determine the Washington Redskins' fortunes this fall. Neither will Brian Orakpo, Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley or Santana Moss.

It all comes down to quarterback Jason Campbell. Eleven days before training camp opens, the Redskins still wonder if Campbell can lead them.

Four years after trading two first-rounders to draft Campbell, the Redskins twice tried to replace him over the offseason. First the trade for Jay Cutler didn't work, then plans for drafting Mark Sanchez failed. Instead, Campbell is the lamest duck since Daffy.

Campbell is a free agent after this season. If he doesn't play well, coach Jim Zorn probably exits, too. Their fortunes and futures are intertwined.

Owner Dan Snyder wants the second coming of Brett Favre. Instead, the Redskins are saddled with a passer dealt more aces and eights than Wild Bill Hickock.

Campbell's biggest problem this season won't be blitzing linebackers around the right side, but teammates in his own locker room. They know Campbell is not the future quarterback, barring a Pro Bowl year that forces the Redskins to re-sign him. If Campbell and the team falter, there's curiosity over Colt Brennan getting his chance in the waning weeks.

Click the link to read the full article...

I have to say, I think Snider nailed it on this one.

For the most part, but JC did stick up for himself after the talk of a possible Sanchez draft and I heard/read several interviews from players who said they were proud of his attitude.

Just like, I don't think his biggest problem is in the lockerroom for the same reason. In every player interview that I have read the team backs him 100 percent. And I don't buy that they have to say that. They could find a tactful way to pull their support without actually saying it.

Zorn has the power to change the calculus though.

If Campbell struggles' date=' he can bench him. And then the argument can be made that he needs another year with the QB he wants.

I agree that if Zorn stays with Campbell all year and Campbell struggles, Zorn is done though.[/quote']

Then we get Shanny, re-trade for Cutler, and sign Marshall!

Its a win/win, really

A bunch of really obvious, repetitive stuff.

Does Rick Snider think this story constitutes "reporting?" I feel like I've read this article 100 times, from sports writers, bloggers, message board posters... I can't wait for the season to start so they can write something--ANYTHING--new. :yawnee:

This is exactly why Zorn won't wait until past week 4 to make a change if needed. If Jason is the QB to start the season and we go 0-4 or 1-3 he gets benched. If we are 2-2 he still might get benched depending on if he carried the team at all.

This is exactly why Zorn won't wait until past week 4 to make a change if needed. If Jason is the QB to start the season and we go 0-4 or 1-3 he gets benched. If we are 2-2 he still might get benched depending on if he carried the team at all.

Wow, you think that fast? That would be interesting.

If last year is any guide, Campbell should be fine based on the early part of the schedule.

Im as cynical as the rest, and don't think this season is going to go particularly well, but there is no way we go 0-3 against the rams, lions, and bucs.

2-2 is more likely with a loss to the giants, and the obligatory loss to a far inferior team.

Wow, you think that fast? That would be interesting.

If last year is any guide, Campbell should be fine based on the early part of the schedule.

Obviously it depends on how Zorn feels about his #2 (whoever that is) but yes if you go through the easier part of the schedule (except for ny) and aren't at least 2-2 that doesn't bode well for the rest of the year. If Jason has his normal average preseason and Todd or Colt lite it up I do see a early hook.

For the most part, but JC did stick up for himself after the talk of a possible Sanchez draft and I heard/read several interviews from players who said they were proud of his attitude.

Just like, I don't think his biggest problem is in the lockerroom for the same reason. In every player interview that I have read the team backs him 100 percent. And I don't buy that they have to say that. They could find a tactful way to pull their support without actually saying it.

And what does this have to do with his performance on the field where ones action are stronger then words. Show me what you got and not what you say!

What about when Stan Hixon comes on the radio and says the players love Colt because he is not afraid to throw in the middle and in double coverage. But some would argue that is just fluff talk and what you are saying can be the same as well. All players on a team will stick up for their teammates and they should.

Again that has nothing to do with their performace on the field. ;)

I have to say, I think Snider nailed it on this one.

Yet he failed to mention the offensive line and the issues it faced last year.

And that through eight games with a new playcaller at the helm again, he was taking care of the ball and was talk of the league. I'd say all the names he mentioned as not mattering to Campbell acutally matter quite a bit. And through in the names of Thomas and Kelly as well. If those players contribute, Campbell will look completely different than the Campbell in the second half of the season. So yeah, I don't think he nailed it, but glossed over it pretty well.

And that through eight games with a new playcaller at the helm again, he was taking care of the ball and was talk of the league. I'd say all the names he mentioned as not mattering to Campbell acutally matter quite a bit. And through in the names of Thomas and Kelly as well. If those players contribute, Campbell will look completely different than the Campbell in the second half of the season. So yeah, I don't think he nailed it, but glossed over it pretty well.

I think you are wrong in this matter. Zorn was originally brought in to make JC a better QB so yes Zorn's future does lay in front of JC's feet.

I don't disagree with that scenario. I think Campbell should be given a short leash considering his career so far. But I don't think the team's performance should be put on just one guy's shoulders, however Campbell's should be wider then others. And with that he needs to have a good early start.

I think you are wrong in this matter. Zorn was originally brought in to make JC a better QB so yes Zorn's future does lay in front of JC's feet.

Zorn did not select JC did he? To rest Zorn's abilities as a head coach on one QB is not only unfair, it is particularly unproductive for a team. But hey this is Snyder's Redskins. I hope Zorn sticks around to be successful. A two year hook is a short hook even for the NFL. Barring a disasterous less than .500 I hope Zorn gets another year.

I really do believe though if the FO is telling Zorn that this is a make it or break it year than the QB leash will be as short as mentioned in this thread, if not shorter based on JC's play and maybe even training camp and pre-season evaluations.

I don't disagree with that scenario. I think Campbell should be given a short leash considering his career so far. But I don't think the team's performance should be put on just one guy's shoulders, however Campbell's should be wider then others. And with that he needs to have a good early start.

Same can go for JC. If his performance is affecting the performance of other players on the field then yes he should be benched.

I don't hate JC or have a man crush on Colt - I just want the best player on the field to the job. Period!

And what does this have to do with his performance on the field where ones action are stronger then words. Show me what you got and not what you say!

What about when Stan Hixon comes on the radio and says the players love Colt because he is not afraid to throw in the middle and in double coverage. But some would argue that is just fluff talk and what you are saying can be the same as well. All players on a team will stick up for their teammates and they should.

Again that has nothing to do with their performace on the field. ;)

I agree with the perormance on the field issues, but to compare Col't willingness to thow the ball in the middle of the field during pre-season with the second and thrid stringers versus Campbell doing it real games versus the big boys is a stretch. I would like to see Colt in action against first teamers before I would annoit him the starter. I hope Zorn gives Colt at least one pre-season start, not only as a message to JC, but to measure what Colt can do if and when needed.

Zorn did not select JC did he? To rest Zorn's abilities as a head coach on one QB is not only unfair, it is particularly unproductive for a team. But hey this is Snyder's Redskins. I hope Zorn sticks around to be successful. A two year hook is a short hook even for the NFL. Barring a disasterous less than .500 I hope Zorn gets another year.

I really do believe though if the FO is telling Zorn that this is a make it or break it year than the QB leash will be as short as mentioned in this thread, if not shorter based on JC's play and maybe even training camp and pre-season evaluations.

In the off season Vinny on TV said Zorn and I have to make it work this year or else they both would will be out of a job. Not sure if he was being serious. I will take his comments with grain of salt.

I agree with the perormance on the field issues, but to compare Col't willingness to thow the ball in the middle of the field during pre-season with the second and thrid stringers versus Campbell doing it real games versus the big boys is a stretch. I would like to see Colt in action against first teamers before I would annoit him the starter. I hope Zorn gives Colt at least one pre-season start, not only as a message to JC, but to measure what Colt can do if and when needed.

Stan Hixon was not talking about the pre-seaon. But his performance during the OTAs.

Edit: Crap I forgot to use the mutli-quote feature. Sorry mods.

I don't think the line (which I agree, is questionable at best) has anything to do with Campbell's lack of field vision. There is also his unwillingness/inability to throw before the receiver makes a cut. Or in just getting the ball the hell out of there.

If you listen to Bugel coach he tells the line; "just give me two seconds, just be a speed bump."

Campbell needs to do better at setting, reading, and executing, before protection breaks down.

I'm not saying he cannot do these things, but I am saying he has not, at least, not after defenses have taken the run away.

The good and bad news is that defenses are going to play the Redskins the same way this year; crowd the box and put the safeties over top to take away the deep threat (why wouldn't they?).

We will see if Campbell can adjust.

It has been stated that Colt would get a lot of playing time this preseason and some with the 1st string.

Archived