Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: The future of coach Zorn rests in Campbell's hands

JimmiJo

Same can go for JC. If his performance is affecting the performance of other players on the field then yes he should be benched.

I don't hate JC or have a man crush on Colt - I just want the best player on the field to the job. Period!

Me too. This most definately is a make or break year for Campbell, but getting rid of Zorn based solely on that alone gives me an uneasy feeling about the FO. The team needs stabiliy and not another big name coach to come in and start over.

I actually don't agree with the assertion that Zorn is gone if they don't make the playoffs with Campbell. If Zorns offense falls flat and not Collins nor Brennan can make it work, then maybe. Otherwise I get the sneaking suspicion he will be kept around. This of course goes against what I EXPCECT Snyder to do. I'm just willing to bet he goes against his feelings on this one.

I don't think the line (which I agree, is questionable at best) has anything to do with Campbell's lack of field vision. There is also his unwillingness/inability to throw before the receiver makes a cut. Or in just getting the ball the hell out of there.

If you listen to Bugel coach he tells the line; "just give me two seconds, just be a speed bump."

Campbell needs to do better at setting, reading, and executing, before protection breaks down.

I'm not saying he cannot do these things, but I am saying he has not, at least, not after defenses have taken the run away.

The good and bad news is that defenses are going to play the Redskins the same way this year; crowd the box and put the safeties over top to take away the deep threat (why wouldn't they?).

We will see if Campbell can adjust.

I agree. I take what happened last year into context. Campbell again had two good receiving threats and teams not only took away the run, they took Moss out on 3rd and long and Cooley out of the red-zone(1 TD). I wish the best for Campbell obviously, but really if he does not show the growth you listed he needs to go early and give this years team a chance to flourish.

I would also blame Zorn for not adjusting the offense if opposing teams choose to defend us that way. End arounds, screens, inside slants, short passes in the flats and even some trick plays should be used to keep teams honest.

It has been stated that Colt would get a lot of playing time this preseason and some with the 1st string.

Where was that stated? I only heard the he would be getting second string time by switching with Collins for two of the four preseason games.

I don't agree with:

Campbell's biggest problem this season won't be blitzing linebackers around the right side, but teammates in his own locker room. They know Campbell is not the future quarterback, barring a Pro Bowl year that forces the Redskins to re-sign him. If Campbell and the team falter, there's curiosity over Colt Brennan getting his chance in the waning weeks.

I never saw or read anything which suggests that the team thinks he's not the future QB. And I don't see how anyone can know such a thing now anyway. In my opinion, going to the Pro Bowl seems like a silly thing to base an extension on, and to say that a Pro Bowl appearance would force the Skins to resign him is a weird way to put it. If Campbell makes it to the Pro Bowl, I'd say he has the upper hand to sign elsewhere rather than resign with the team that hasn't had much confidence in him and undermined him (deservedly or not). If the Skins don't want to resign him after having a Pro Bowl year, that's their stupidity.

Where was that stated? I only heard the he would be getting second string time by switching with Collins for two of the four preseason games.

Zorn on tv being asked questions by reporters. Not a press conference but outside with the pool of reporters around him.

In the off season Vinny on TV said Zorn and I have to make it work this year or else they both would will be out of a job. Not sure if he was being serious. I will take his comments with grain of salt.

Campbell should take it seriously, and maybe that was the intended message.

If Campbell makes it to the Pro Bowl, I'd say he has the upper hand to sign elsewhere rather than resign with the team that hasn't had much confidence in him and undermined him (deservedly or not). If the Skins don't want to resign him after having a Pro Bowl year, that's their stupidity.

Fwiw, Gus Frerotte had a Pro Bowl season. :2cents:

I agree with the perormance on the field issues, but to compare Col't willingness to thow the ball in the middle of the field during pre-season with the second and thrid stringers versus Campbell doing it real games versus the big boys is a stretch. I would like to see Colt in action against first teamers before I would annoit him the starter. I hope Zorn gives Colt at least one pre-season start, not only as a message to JC, but to measure what Colt can do if and when needed.

I agree. Colt has to prove something against the big dogs. He has not done anything yet.This is not just about Campbell. WR's and playcalling need to be better. I think (hope) that it will be as the 2nd year for Thomas, Kelly and Zorn.

Spot on piece by Snider, just telling it like it is, and it leaves you with little to no sympathy for Zorn if Jason doesn't improve any and his head rolls.

Last year, by all accounts, the option to change QB's was out of his hands. This year, given management finally having enough and their VERY public thumbs down to the current starter this off-season, you get the impression they'd have Zorn's back whichever guy he went with.

He lives, and I sadly believe, (for both him and us after yet another wasted year), falls by his blind faith in Jason.

Hail.

This is exactly why Zorn won't wait until past week 4 to make a change if needed. If Jason is the QB to start the season and we go 0-4 or 1-3 he gets benched. If we are 2-2 he still might get benched depending on if he carried the team at all.

I think Campbell might get traded asap. Campbell may need a new start somewhere else, and some other team might need any kind of starting QB. If either Collins or Brennan step up, or ideally both, in training camp, it might be best to get something for Campbell before the season starts.

I think it's been 70% positive and 30% negative for Campbell so far. What are your thoughts? Do the Redskins just have to win for Campbell to retain the starting position or does he need to win convincingly? By convincingly, I mean by scoring at least 2 TDs through the air a game or show that Campbell can carry the team with a balanced attack that produces down field yardage. So, what are your thoughts?

I think Campbell might get traded asap. Campbell may need a new start somewhere else, and some other team might need any kind of starting QB. If either Collins or Brennan step up, or ideally both, in training camp, it might be best to get something for Campbell before the season starts.

What team do you think would take him ??

And what does this have to do with his performance on the field where ones action are stronger then words. Show me what you got and not what you say!

Dude, stop it.

I think we both know that RocketCity was refering to the article which made it seem as if JC did and said nothing and that his teammates didn't notice JC's response:

Campbell should have responded to the attempted offseason moves with a swagger, saying this was his job no matter who arrives. Teammates would have noticed. Instead, Campbell seemed fragile. That's not good.
For the most part, but JC did stick up for himself after the talk of a possible Sanchez draft and I heard/read several interviews from players who said they were proud of his attitude.

Just like, I don't think his biggest problem is in the lockerroom for the same reason. In every player interview that I have read the team backs him 100 percent. And I don't buy that they have to say that. They could find a tactful way to pull their support without actually saying it.

RocketCity is right several teammates and coaches and other NFL analyst actually commented and commended JC for the way he handled everything and the resolve he showed.

What about when Stan Hixon comes on the radio and says the players love Colt because he is not afraid to throw in the middle and in double coverage. But some would argue that is just fluff talk and what you are saying can be the same as well. All players on a team will stick up for their teammates and they should.

Did you actually listen to the Stan Hixon interview?

This is a loose transcript courtesy of:

...Brennan came in early on and tried things he used to use in Hawaii and got torched badly by the secondary in practice LAST YEAR which is normal for a rookie. He said that NFL secondaries "can't be exploited the way he did in Hawaii."

He used the word "boneheaded" to describe some decisions by Brennan as a rookie in practice LAST YEAR (he used the word in a mild sense.) He says that Brennan has come along well though in OTAs THIS YEAR. He says receivers love Colt because he throws into coverage letting them make plays. Clearly this isn't the way the coaches want him to make plays, but he is progressing very well now and is doing things the way the coaches want. We are going to see a much more "technique conscious" player this season according to Hixon.

Not quite as complimentary as you imply.

C'mon Zskins:doh:

Zorn on tv being asked questions by reporters. Not a press conference but outside with the pool of reporters around him.

That's interesting. Did you see it on Redskins.com? Do you remeber if it was during OTA's? I'd like to try and dig it up.

Read it again.

He used the word "boneheaded" to describe some decisions by Brennan as a rookie in practice LAST YEAR (he used the word in a mild sense.) He says that Brennan has come along well though in OTAs THIS YEAR. He says receivers love Colt because he throws into coverage letting them make plays. Clearly this isn't the way the coaches want him to make plays, but he is progressing very well now and is doing things the way the coaches want. We are going to see a much more "technique conscious" player this season according to Hixon.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6535372&postcount=1

So according to Hixon, last year Brennan was making rookie mistakes and relying on how he used to do things in college. This year, he is doing what his NFL coaches have trained and asked him to do. You know, Real Progress.

Dude, stop it.

I think we both know that RocketCity was refering to the article which made it seem as if JC did and said nothing and that his teammates didn't notice JC's response:

RocketCity is right several teammates and coaches and other NFL analyst actually commented and commended JC for the way he handled everything and the resolve he showed.

Fine. But I guess you didn't read where I said I don't give a crap about how he felt and how the players felt about his feelings I just want someone who can show me what he can do on the field and not in the locker room.

No I like to make up **** as I go along. :rolleyes:

Thanks HT for backing me up!

For you I have bolded the text below I was referring to. I said double coverage instead of just coverage. But my point is still valid.

"He says receivers love Colt because he throws into coverage letting them make plays."

Thanks HT for backing me up. :cheers:

This reminds me of that thread: Jason Campbell: Coach killer?

It might deserve a good bump, or a continued discussion here. I don't remember the specifics, but the idea was simple: every coach Jason had has gone to the wayside.

Other than Al Saunders, name me one HC or OC that lost his job when JC was the quarterback. I don't care what rumors you've seen on this board, I can give you facts. And do you think Saunders system might have had anything to do with him being out of a job. You know, he's out of another OC position with the Rams. But you'll find someway to pin that one on JC, too.

Fine. But I guess you didn't read where I said I don't give a crap about how he felt and how the players felt about his feelings I just want someone who can show me what he can do on the field and not in the locker room.

I don't give a crap that you don't give a crap.

However you need to address this to Rick Snider because he wrote the article that you agree with soo much and he was the one that brought up how the players felt.

RocketCity was just pointing out that Snider comment's in the article about how the players felt wasn't accurate.

All players on a team will stick up for their teammates and they should.

Maybe you're missing my point.

Hixon called some of Colts mistakes "boneheaded" and said that he got eating alive by the secondary.

If that's what ou consider "fluff" then i guess there's one more thing that we disagree about.

Maybe you're missing my point.

Hixon called some of Colts mistakes "boneheaded" and said that he got eating alive by the secondary.

If that's what ou consider "fluff" then i guess there's one more thing that we disagree about.

He didn't miss your point. You just glossed over the fact that Hixon said, "Bonehead", "Last Year" , "in a mild sense". Hixon also said that his receivers like that he throws into coverage allowing them to make plays. Meaning he trusts his receivers. Not sure if the next part is in jest, but the coaches don't want him to make plays like that. Meaning either they lack confidence in the QB and receivers to make plays, or they are too scared (My words) and want to play it safe. Either way, Colt has progressed to doing things the way the coaches want it done and has become technically more sound as a QB.

In other words, Hixon said Colt has improved and you are trying to twist the post into saying Colt is a Bonehead and continues to be a Bonehead. Or did I make a mistake?

Zorn has the power to change the calculus though.

If Campbell struggles' date=' he can bench him. And then the argument can be made that he needs another year with the QB he wants.

I agree that if Zorn stays with Campbell all year and Campbell struggles, Zorn is done though.[/quote']

I would like to see Zorn given more time regardless of what does or doesn't happen this season. My one gripe with the F.O would be this if they decided to go on another head coach search.Learning sysyem after sytem after system offensively has not gotten us anywhere but further behind.

I wish JC,Colt,Todd Collins and Chase Daniel all well as any of them maybe called upon to step up and lead the team.

I would like to see Zorn given more time regardless of what does or doesn't happen this season.

Agreed.

Edit: I would also like to see Zorn's offense run with a true WCO QB, whether that be Colt or whoever.

I left Jason out of the equation because I honestly don't believe that this offense takes advantage of his best attributes.

Archived