Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offseason Question for those with high Pain Tolerance

alwaysaskin

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

After seeing the Spurrier thread and replying I got to thinking, which was a worse time to be a 'Skins fan, I ask this because I remember the Norv Years. I remember losing under Norv and realizing how soul shattering those losses were, it was like Norv had no answer, this guy defined the 1990's as the worst sports period of my life, second half collapses, inexplicable turnovers, Heath Schuler! I remember thinking why doesn't JCK or Casserly fire this clown? Norv had 6 1/2 years to prove what a disaster he was as a head coach. I mean the 7-7 tie, the 3-0 loss to the Jets, blowing leads left and right that was Norvitis.

Spurrier on the other hand was two years of bad, but he couldn't do much more damage, and Gibbs came back after Spurrier left, I guess I just don't associate the pain of Norv with Spurrier

Steve "5 and 11, 'aint too good now" Spurrier. *Shudders

Truth be told, I've tried to erase both periods from my memory, and I can't honestly decide which was the more cruddy, as both more or less stunk the joint up; but at least Norv did make the playoffs, shrugs.

Out of the two men, I much prefer Norv. A real likeable guy who sadly just isn't HC material. He's an outstanding offensive coordinator, but it all goes to **** when he get's full control of a team. Spurrier, on the other hand, should stick to his level, college ball.

Hail.

After seeing the Spurrier thread and replying I got to thinking, which was a worse time to be a 'Skins fan, I ask this because I remember the Norv Years. I remember losing under Norv and realizing how soul shattering those losses were, it was like Norv had no answer, this guy defined the 1990's as the worst sports period of my life, second half collapses, inexplicable turnovers, Heath Schuler! I remember thinking why doesn't JCK or Casserly fire this clown? Norv had 6 1/2 years to prove what a disaster he was as a head coach. I mean the 7-7 tie, the 3-0 loss to the Jets, blowing leads left and right that was Norvitis.

Spurrier on the other hand was two years of bad, but he couldn't do much more damage, and Gibbs came back after Spurrier left, I guess I just don't associate the pain of Norv with Spurrier

I absolutely hated the Norv years. It just kept going and going and going. I felt like every single year, he'd do something, just enough, to secure his job for yet another year. I didn't care WHO took his place, he just needed to go. Like five years before he actually went.

Norv was this dull pain, I compare him to jason Campbell, he wasn't toooo bad but he wasn't great either. Spurrier is the ryan leaf of coaches IMO. Hyped up and failed completely. so I pick Spurrier.

Norv gave us the term "norvous" because we would jump to leads after his brilliantly scripted beginnings. We'd be up, but we'd be "norvous" becuase we just knew the rug was about to be pulled.

Spurrier was bad enough that many like me never really thought we had much of a chance after the bullets of the regular season started flying. I'm still annoyed we got rid of Marty for him. Marty can at least build a team. Failing in the playoffs means you made it. So Spurrier has the added baggage of having replaced a coach of ability. Norv was coming off some pretty bad coaching when he came to the job, and we were expecting a rebuild at that point. My expectations for the two were drastically different.

At least with Spurrier, you knew Snyder wouldn't have that much patience with him, so it was relatively quick, like ripping off a bandaid.

Norv was long and drawn out torture, as we would continue to find ways to lose games. "These guys fought awful hard."

It took too long to give Norv the hook (and I still can't figure out why teams keep giving him 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances).

Spurrier should be erased from the history of the Redskins....literally. I'm talking Stalin-style photoshop, where he is cut out from pictures. Redskins fans should also have access to free therapy to try to get over those two god awful, tragedies of humankind years.

Spurrier...during his 2nd year right after the bye week the team played Dallas in dallas and looked like they had NO clue what so ever...and that started a tail-spin.

Norv at least got this team to the playoffs. Spurrier quit on this franchise.

The Norv years were way worse. Six out of seven seasons of failure and heartbreak compounded by aged Dallass rejects and "What we do here works" quotes from the coach. I hate Norv as a human being and wish nothing but failure and pain for him.

Spurrier at least quit and put us out of our misery. He was a worse coach but the experience as a fan was better.

The Norv years were way worse. Six out of seven seasons of failure and heartbreak compounded by aged Dallass rejects and "What we do here works" quotes from the coach. I hate Norv as a human being and wish nothing but failure and pain for him.

Spurrier at least quit and put us out of our misery. He was a worse coach but the experience as a fan was better.

:rotflmao:

Norv was the coach when the Skins won the NFC East in 1999 and they had two other years when they were at least competitive. Spurrier was just awful. Norv might have been mediocre to below average but Spurrier was just abysmal. I still get sick thinking about Stephen Davis being replaced by Trung Canidate. Excuse me I have to go throw up now.:puke:

Norv was painful. Looking back, in all but 2 seasons, it always seemed that just enough went wrong to prevent success. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. Falling apart in the second half of 1996 season and letting Dallass score 27 straight points on us in 1999 are two of my worst memories.

SOOOOO many Noob fans....

Norv and its not close, ffs the man screamed mediocrity, we were always just good enough to get beat, we never built anything and he left the cupboard damn near bare when he finally got tossed.

Who can forget the hallmark of Norvous teams? poor special teams, TE's that couldnt block , a running game that was always decent but crap at times when we needed it, and a passing game that always started well and finished poorly. The only saving grace of this team for a long time was its defence and even that suffered from neglect as I cannot remember the last time we had any sort of presence from a DE (smith had moments but was way past his prime).

I will take a couple horrid years as frankly you build your talent base with draft picks but we have never done that, our issue has been simple, as a team we would rather just barley make or miss the playoffs and be mediocre than have a few rebuilding years and then dominate, because Dan has always been a win now guy. (not Dan bashing as the little bugger has always been willing to spend the money, he just needs to learn some patience)

Archived