Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Military Greatest list

nonniey

OK here is a fun subject (at least to me). Put what or who you think is the greatest in each catagory.

General

Admiral

Battle

Wooden Ship

Battleship

Carrier

Bomber

Fighter

Attack Aircraft (ie Fighter Bombers)

Tank

AFV (armoured Fighting Vehicle or Personnel Carrier)

Rifle

Mine are

General - Hannible

Admiral - Nelson

Battle - Stalingrad

Wooden Ship - HMS Victory

Battleship - HMS Warspite (greatest overall ship)

Carrier - Enterprise (WWII)

Bomber - B52

Fighter - P51

Attack Aircraft - IL 2 (Sturmovik)

Tank - T34

AFV - M3 (Personnel Carrier)

Rifle - AK 47

General - Patton

Admiral - Halsey

Battle - Gettysburg

Wooden Ship - USS Constitution

Battleship - USS Missouri

Carrier - USS Enterprise

Bomber - B52

Fighter - F16

Attack Aircraft (ie Fighter Bombers) - A 10

Tank- M1A1

AFV (armoured Fighting Vehicle or Personnel Carrier) - Bradley

Rifle - Kalishnikov

Oh, and greatest military vehicle ever made - US Jeep (and its not even close)

Definately. BTW F16? Most would say the F15 has had the superior history as well as performance during the same time period as the F16.

General - Napoleon or Alexander the Great

Admiral - Nelson

Battle - D-Day

Battleship - USS Missouri (greatest overall ship)

Carrier - USS George Washington

Bomber - B52 and now the B2

Fighter - F 15 Eagle now F22 Raptor

Attack Aircraft - Thunderbolt

Tank - M1 Abrams

AFV - M3 (Personnel Carrier)

Rifle - AK 47

Definately. BTW F16? Most would say the F15 has had the superior history as well as performance during the same time period as the F16.

Well they are two different kinds of fighters. F 16 is a multi-purpose and the F15 is air superiority (and what a fighter it is/soon to be was)

BTW one may be surprised at the Battleship I picked (Warspite). Missouri is a worthy candidate but no ship gave out as much damage and survived as much damage as the Warspite. She was at Jutland and took 29 hits (15 large caliber), In WWII she was the main player in the destruction of 10 Destroyers, 3 heavy cruisers and a submarine (1st sub ever sunk by aircraft - Warspite's spotter plane) . Additionally she damaged a modern battleship with the longest shot ever recorded. While supporting US soldiers during the Invasion of Italy she was hit by a 3000lb guided bomb causing crippling damage (The new Battleship Roma was destroyed by one of these bombs -believe Warspite was the only ship to survive a hit by one). She was partially repaired and then provided support at D-DAY, then hit a mine but still survived. After the war the Labour government scrapped her (Vandalism of historic proportions IMO). She didn't go quietly though, breaking free of the Tugs and running aground.

Here is a video dedication that I found.

Any pilot who ever had the good fortune to fly an F16 will say there was never more fun to be had.

Sure lots of planes had much more advanced radar and weapons systems, but there has never been another plane like the F16. It was the Lamborghini of the skies

jmo of course

Any pilot who ever had the good fortune to fly an F16 will say there was never more fun to be had.

Sure lots of planes had much more advanced radar and weapons systems, but there has never been another plane like the F16. It was the Lamborghini of the skies

jmo of course

Ok I'll ask (I'm working with an F16 pilot for the next three months).

General - Sun Tzu

Admiral - Nelson

Battle - Gettysburg

Battleship - Yamato

Carrier - USS Intrepid

Bomber - B29

Fighter - Spitfire

Attack Aircraft - P38

Tank - German Tiger

AFV (armoured Fighting Vehicle or Personnel Carrier) - Higgins Boat

Rifle - AK47

... I'm a WWII buff. Sue me. :)

General Patton

Admiral Nimitz

Battle of Normandy

Wooden Ship - USS Constitution

Battleship - Bismark

Carrier - USS Enterprise CVN-65

Bomber - B-17

Fighter - F-14

Attack Aircraft A-6

Tank - M-1 Abrams

AFV - M-2 Bradley

Rifle AK-47

Just my opinion.

I don't see why Gettysburg is any greater / more important than Yorkstown or Saratoga. Is preservation more important than creation?

Well I didn't go by importance. I went with a combination of scope/tactics/size ... in my opinion Gettysburg is fascinating on many levels, importance only being one of them.

General: Ike - Kept all the other generals in line, especially Patton (who needed to be kept on a leash at all times).

Admiral: Rickover - Pivotal in arguably the most significant development in propulsion ever.

Battle: Cambrai - Showed the feasibility of massed armor tactics.

Wooden Ship: U.S.S. Monitor - With it's iron-cladding, steam propulsion, and guns mounted in a turret, it pointed the way to the warships of the 20th Century.

Battleship: H.M.S. Dreadnought - The prototype of the modern battleship, it set in motion the first arms race of the 20th century. It's most significant features were it's turbine engines and single-caliber main guns.

Carrier: U.S.S. Enterprise (CVN 65) - The first nuclear powered carrier, she has served continuously since 1961.

Bomber: B-52 - Through constant upgrades, has been in service since 1955.

Fighter: F-14 - This is my sentimental pick. Looks bad-ass, was fast, maneuverable, and innovative for it's time.

Attack Aircraft (ie Fighter Bombers): DeHaviland Mosquito - A wooden aircraft that possessed speed, agility, and low radar observability, yet still packed enough punch with it's 4 guns in the nose and 4000 lbs of bombs to inflict heavy damage on the enemy, often in precision bombing raids.

Tank: Tiger - Nothing could beat it one-on-one on the battlefield.

AFV (armoured Fighting Vehicle or Personnel Carrier): M-113 - Workhorse that did it's job and didn't try to be a tank like the Bradley. It also didn't store it's fuel inside the doors like the BMP-1. :doh:

Rifle: AK-47 - It just works no matter what you do to it. Pour water and sand into it, it'll still fire. Simple to operate, rugged and reliable. Also produced in massive numbers. The proliferation of this weapon around the world is mind-blowing.

EDIT: I am a WWI/WWII guy, as you can probably tell by my list. That's where I'm most focused, just don't know quite as much about the equipment/leaders before the 20th Century.

General - Napoleon

Admiral - Yi Sun-Sin (16th century Korean admiral)

Battle - Myeongnyang (Yi Sun-sin's greatest victory) or the Battle off Samar (the US Navy's most ridiculous victory)

Wooden Ship - USS Constitution (Still afloat!)

Battleship - USS Missouri

Carrier - USS Yorktown

Bomber - B-52 (Set to fly up to 78 years after they stopped production. Imagine an American army using Civil War-era howitzers during World War II.)

Fighter - Spitfire (

)

Attack Aircraft (ie Fighter Bombers) - A-10

Tank - T-34 (the Soviets didn't deserve to have this)

AFV (armoured Fighting Vehicle or Personnel Carrier) - Bradley

Rifle - AK-47

General: Ike - Kept all the other generals in line, especially Patton (who needed to be kept on a leash at all times).

Tank: Tiger - Nothing could beat it one-on-one on the battlefield.

QUOTE]

Nothing? How about the JSII which outclassed the Tiger in everyway (even the King Tiger).

General - Alexander the Great

Admiral - Nelson

Battle - Moscow in WWII

Battleship - Bismarck

Carrier - USS Enterprise

Bomber - B-52

Fighter - P-51 Mustang

Attack Aircraft - Jaguar

Tank - Leopard 2

AFV - M3 half-track

Rifle - M14

Battleship - Bismarck

Good choice- I was thinking about that one myself. By far the most impressive ship ever constructed... had the Germans had any kind of Navy to support her, she would have wreaked some serious damage

The only reason I didn't pick it is that the British sunk her almost immediately

The historical range is far too wide for any list to be legitimate.

For example

Little/Big Willie (first widely used tank in warfare) was incredibly groundbreaking and changed warfare a great deal. The T34 dominated German Tiger tanks and was considered the best tank of World War II. Neither of those widely known tanks can hold a candle to the M1 Abrams.

A list of all the modern weapons will beat out any list with antique weapons, which is why this thread really should have had a time period attached to it.

*EDIT* I should say that there are a couple items on the list that can be used as a history-wide inquiry. Such as the best general, admiral, and battle. I was referring more to the technical aspect of the list.

Archived