Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I the only one who thinks our secondary might be best in the league?

truskin4life

The Ravens just are not a very consistant team. One year they are in the hunt the next there in the bottom half of the division. That usually ment in the down years an injury to if not both ray lewis and ed reed. Great defense bad offense,Now that mason is hanging them up who is going to get those catches? I felt they should have made the move for boldin.I know darklight your going to come on here talking about the amazing depth and growth of the 2nd reciever i forget his name but the kid from ok.

Back to Samari rolle. Are we talking about the guy who sits out for 6-8 games a season? Its no mystery that he is the weak link in your backfield,and i cannot believe he got a multi year deal. I wasnt talking about 1 game. My best friend who is also my roomate,a guy i have to sit next to for most ravens games points it out everytime.

this is direct from the mouth of a ravens fanatic,not mine. he says while there a good team they just wont have the firepower this year and losing rex ryan means that the warden is gone and the players are going to rebel and play like they want. The man is good enough to be head coach,it doesnt matter who the next d cordinator is...he wont be as good.

The Ravens just are not a very consistant team. One year they are in the hunt the next there in the bottom half of the division. That usually ment in the down years an injury to if not both ray lewis and ed reed.

Well, there's the pot calling the kettle black.

The inconsistency certainly had much to do with key injuries, but those down years can also be correlated with the quarterback situation.

Primary starting qbs

2008: Joe Flacco 11-5

2007: Kyle Boller 5-11

2006: Steve McNair 13-3

2005: Kyle Boller: 6-10

Great defense bad offense,Now that mason is hanging them up who is going to get those catches? I felt they should have made the move for boldin..I know darklight your going to come on here talking about the amazing depth and growth of the 2nd reciever i forget his name but the kid from ok

Show me one post where I mention Mark Clayton as being more than an afterthought.

Arizona just does not want to give up Boldin; that really isn't a viable option. Besides we're talking two high round picks and a brand new contract;who can afford all of that? Oh wait, aren't there certain teams who are known for doing that? How does it usually work out?

Back to Samari rolle. Are we talking about the guy who sits out for 6-8 games a season? Its no mystery that he is the weak link in your backfield,and i cannot believe he got a multi year deal. I wasnt talking about 1 game. My best friend who is also my roomate,a guy i have to sit next to for most ravens games points it out everytime.

Yeah, Samari Rolle is the reason we've never had a top defense.

this is direct from the mouth of a ravens fanatic,not mine. he says while there a good team they just wont have the firepower this year and losing rex ryan means that the warden is gone and the players are going to rebel and play like they want.

LOL Rex Ryan is a warden? Are you kidding me? The Jets players are already like "Oh, he's so much easier on us, he treats us like adults, he doesn't make all these dumb rules."

One of the new Ravens coaches benched a pro-bowler during a playoff game for his infraction.

The man is good enough to be head coach,it doesnt matter who the next d cordinator is...he wont be as good.

Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan were good enough to be head coaches. No one could ever replace them as DCs in Baltimore.

It's funny how people forget that the Ravens have had a top ten (heck, might be top six) defense for 9/10 years this decade. I guess the FO couldn't possibly know what they're doing.

Your friend is such a great fan. You gotta admire that relentless pessimism. :D

• 3 months later...
Shawn Springs was the real coach of the secondary. All the coaches involved were just siphoning off of HIS experience and leadership.

Are you just bumping every thread from the preaseason that turned out to be wrong? it was the offseason on a fan message board, did you expect anything else but optimism?

The secondary took a monumental hit when ST passed away and it has never recovered. Rogers is average at best at CB and he probably will be somewhere else next season. Landry obviously lacks discipline which is huge for a safety. Horton has shown that he can be exposed in certain situations and Hall is an overpaid idiot that would rather mix it up with an opposing coach than show any effort on the field.

Yes. You are the ONLY one!

We have guys who COULD make up (one of) the best unit(s) in the league. But until they can stop playing 5-7 yards off of the receiver and when they can start TACKLING players rather than just bouncing off of them, then they are not that good!

Reed Doughty has been excellent and Horton's been ok.

Doughty has been great, yes, but an "ok" Horton isn't cutting it.

If we didn't have the talent that we had and we were performing like this, then that's actually pretty good.

However, we have someone who really was in the running for DROTY, another guy who was in the same position the year before as well as being a Pro Bowl alternate, a two-time Pro Bowler, and a damned talented corner who just can't catch.

With that amount of talent, we shouldn't be anything but dominant.

But I guess that's the story of the Washington Redskins under Snyder.

Well statistically after 8 games our avg. defensive pass yards per game is 159.9 which is ranked 1st in the league. But our defensive run yards per game is 126.4 ranked 25th... from one extreme to the other there. Which is a bit alarming imo given the fact we went out and got big al, who is a DT that can penetrate the line and not only put qb's on their back but stop rb's in their tracks. :doh:

IMO, the best secondary in the NFL last year belong to the Tennessee Titans, lead by Finnegan and Chris Hope, with Nick Harper and Michael Griffin. They too benefited from DL pressure, the same pressure I hope we get from a certain ex-Titan. I would further argue that Green Bay has a better secondary that the aforementioned Steelers and Ravens, as they have the handicap of a similar derth of pressure to the Skins.

1. Titans (all four peaking)

2. Packers (worried about the CBs ages)

3. Steelers (benefit from best supporting cast)

4. Redskins (young core primed to realize potential with more complete D)

Thread bumps are the worst

Discounting tackles, how did the Giants get ranked #1 by moseley? Ridiculous! I know that our DBs don't tackle, but seriously the giants secondary has been exposed over the last few games. The reason that they even get mentioned is because of the pressure created up front. Hell, even I could play DB for the Giants if you generate that kind of pressure from your front 4 players.

Discounting tackles, how did the Giants get ranked #1 by moseley? Ridiculous! I know that our DBs don't tackle, but seriously the giants secondary has been exposed over the last few games. The reason that they even get mentioned is because of the pressure created up front. Hell, even I could play DB for the Giants if you generate that kind of pressure from your front 4 players.
I think most of us have come to accept bad results for the rest of this year but some players are getting their moments. But if I was a Giants fans.... I would be pretty upset right now, they started off perfect and the last 4 games went to 100% pure poop. Their defense getting torn apart.

Well statistically after 8 games our avg. defensive pass yards per game is 159.9 which is ranked 1st in the league. But our defensive run yards per game is 126.4 ranked 25th... from one extreme to the other there. Which is a bit alarming imo given the fact we went out and got big al, who is a DT that can penetrate the line and not only put qb's on their back but stop rb's in their tracks. :doh:

Aside from the few big runs (that should have been stopped by our secondary) we have been solid against the run.

Our main culprit has been lousy over-all safety play (Laundry and Horton.) The pass rush has been fierce. The opposing offense has adjusted by running the ball more. When they need to run the ball, other teams have not been able to.

We are vulnerable mostly to the sides of the field. Up the middle we are very strong with big Al and Fletch. We are week on the parameters.

Our corner backs are really not that bad. The lack of safety support though, is killing us.

People see us as 'laying off' when most of the time we are playing soft zone.

Other teams are almost always playing with the lead, hence more running.

• 3 months later...

Archived