Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Anyone Give some Blu-Ray Player Advice?

#98QBKiller

I got a pretty nice LCD TV from my girlfriend for my birthday last month, and now I'm thinking about buying a Blu-Ray player.

I've looked at them all over the web and they vary in price from $200-$500. Has anyone bought one of the cheaper models? And if so, do you have any advice, complaints, etc.?

I've thought about the PS3 but I can't bring myself to pay $400 for one. If they do a big price slice I would definitely consider it, but I've already got a Wii plus all of my old game systems sitting around.

HD DVD's dead now right?

HD DVD is dead. Cheap disks may be had, as long as you don't mind owning a dead hardware format for which no additional big-ticket media will ever be released again.

Go with the PS3. It's an incredible device and IMO the best Blu-ray player out there.

I've been using the PS3 as well. And like most here, I watch more movies with it then I do gaming. That said, it's one unit that lets you do both though.

And you can get firmware updates unlike most standalone blu ray players. That right there is the biggest reason I bought the PS3

I've thought about the PS3 but I can't bring myself to pay $400 for one. If they do a big price slice I would definitely consider it, but I've already got a Wii plus all of my old game systems sitting around.

They're supposedly cutting the price to $300 around early August. If/when that does happen it'll be a pretty decent bargain based on its merits as a player alone.

And you can get firmware updates unlike most standalone blu ray players. That right there is the biggest reason I bought the PS3

Exactly. The PS3 is about 2.5 years old now but it's blu-ray capabilities still rank among the best pure players out there thanks to it's online capabilities and firmware upgrades.

They're supposedly cutting the price to $300 around early August. If/when that does happen it'll be a pretty decent bargain based on its merits as a player alone.

If that's true then I'll rush out and get one. I almost feel cheap that $100 makes that kind of difference but at the same time, that's a 1/4 of the price cut off right there.

If that's true then I'll rush out and get one. I almost feel cheap that $100 makes that kind of difference but at the same time, that's a 1/4 of the price cut off right there.

And exclusive gaming titles like Little Big Planet and Resistance are a nice added bonus.

I'd check this out first, http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?query=blu-ray&tag=srch

I bought my blu-ray player from dell.com around Christmas time last year. It was $200 and its a Sony. So if you can wait, that's what I would do because I'm sure that will be the big thing on sale this year.

Good idea. I think I am going to wait it out and at least see if Sony drops the PS3 price.

I think I am going to wait it out and at least see if Sony drops the PS3.

That's not a bad idea either. I got my blu-ray player for Christmas so it was great! But mine can be plugged into the internet to get updates too. I have a 360 so it was kinda pointless to buy a PS3, but with the prices coming down it would be sweet to have 2 blu-ray players.

Good idea. I think I am going to wait it out and at least see if Sony drops the PS3 price.

There is also a rumor that Sony will be coming out with a slimline PS3 as well, like the PS2 before it.

Certainly a price drop will get me to seriously consider upgrading. (I'm still having fun with my old PS2 and the games available for it.)

That's not a bad idea either. I got my blu-ray player for Christmas so it was great! But mine can be plugged into the internet to get updates too. I have a 360 so it was kinda pointless to buy a PS3, but with the prices coming down it would be sweet to have 2 blu-ray players.

Yep I definitely know what you mean. They'll see sales jump for a while if they do drop the price. There are a ton of people that have been holding out like I have just because they have a Wii or a 360 and just can't afford to shell out $400-$500 for a PS3.

(I'm still having fun with my old PS2 and the games available for it.)

Same here. I still play it a lot.

Does the PS3 play the old PS2 games, like PS2 did with the original Play Station games?

Archived