Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW - Redskins rookie Orakpo adjusts to double duty

@DCGoldPants

Would you want your organs donated?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want your organs donated?

• Yes
    • No

http://m.profootballweekly.com/NFL_features/3643/full/;jsessionid=372157BC5B6196C2DA494E59CD20DB9F.wap2

Redskins rookie Orakpo adjusts to double duty

Andrew Struckmeyer

UPDATED: 06/27/2009

Rookie first-round draft picks in the NFL face the daunting task of adjusting to the speed of the professional level, living up to lofty expectations, and not drowning in the sea of information that is thrown their way in learning the schemes. Redskins rookie Brian Orakpo, the team's first-round draft pick this past season, faces those same challenges, plus one more: He is trying to do all of those things at two positions, not one.

The Redskins' coaches plan to use Orakpo as a stand-up strong-side linebacker on running downs and as a defensive end on passing downs this season. This means learning two positions, including one that Orakpo never played in college at Texas.

Although Orakpo didn't see much game action at linebacker at Texas, defensive coordinator Will Muschamp used both 3-4 and 4-3 concepts in his weekly game plan. This gave Orakpo the opportunity to perform LB duties in certain schemes, even though Muschamp might not have chosen to use that particular scheme come game time.

"The coaches and I are very comfortable with what I bring to the table and that I can play that position. It's challenging, but I'm up to the task," said Orakpo.

The Redskins' coaching staff also believes that these two positions will utilize Orakpo's skills most effectively.

"[LB coach] Kirk Olivadotti liked what he saw of Orakpo at [the] strong-side linebacker position [during minicamp], and he felt like that was a pretty good position for him, as well. So, Brian is going to be a real versatile athlete," said Redskins head coach Jim Zorn.

Recently, the transition from college defensive end to NFL linebacker has produced mixed results. Jets OLB Vernon Gholston, the sixth overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft out of Ohio State, had a trying season last year learning his new position and played sparingly on defense. Jason Babin, the 27th overall pick of the Texans in 2004, has also struggled. Babin played defensive end at Western Michigan but has been unable to adapt to the LB position in the NFL, having bounced around with three teams in only five seasons.

However, the Ravens' Terrell Suggs has had great success since moving from defensive end to linebacker after he was drafted in 2003. Suggs was named the Defensive Rookie of the Year in his first year in the league and since has been chosen for two Pro Bowls at outside linebacker. Cowboys OLB DeMarcus Ware, a defensive end at Troy, has also thrived as an outside linebacker. Ware has made the Pro Bowl in three of his four seasons and twice has been named to the All-Pro team.

Orakpo not only has to master the transition to linebacker, but he must also work on his pass-rushing technique, as he faces bigger and stronger offensive linemen at the professional level. And he has to do all of this quickly, because the Redskins appear to have him penciled in as the starter at strong-side linebacker and third-down pass rusher.

"[brian] understands what we're trying to do with him, both with [DL coach John] Palermo and myself," Olivadotti said. "He knows that it's not all about being in the exact most comfortable position that he is used to being in, but right now is the time to see if we can get him comfortable doing some things, in order for him to be the most effective all the time."

One thing that will help Orakpo in his transition is his relentless work ethic. He chiseled his body while at Texas, leaving with less than 10 percent body fat. Orakpo entered college weighing only 210 pounds but left at a sturdy 265 pounds.

"Brian is as mature a college player as I've been around," said Muschamp. "He really approaches things in a serious manner and takes things to heart with his work ethic and his approach to the game."

Orakpo also has been praised by Redskins coaches for his ability to learn quickly and pick up the defensive schemes as he goes. He definitely made a strong impression at the Redskins' minicamps.

"I saw a guy that is a tremendous athlete, and he tried to hustle. He was in a lot of plays. I don't know if it was rain or sweat, but he was drenched pretty good, so I think he was working hard," said Zorn.

Orakpo also has had help in this process from the veterans on the Redskins' defense, which finished fourth in the NFL last season in yards allowed per game.

"London Fletcher, Philip Daniels, Andre Carter and all the guys have been really helpful," said Orakpo. "When I came in, I was just thrown in with the first team, learning on the fly, and if I missed an assignment, they would just tell me how to correct it right there on the fly, without the coaches having to talk to me."

In addition to leaning on the veterans for knowledge, Orakpo also will be aided by the Redskins' biggest offseason addition, DT Albert Haynesworth. Haynesworth was a first-team All-Pro each of the past two seasons and has 14½ sacks over that span. His pass-rushing capabilities should take some of the pressure and focus off Orakpo on passing downs.

Even though Orakpo is viewed as a starter in the upcoming season, he is not the only Redskin preparing for double duty. Third-year DE Chris Wilson also is attempting to learn both linebacker and defensive end, and he has provided some company and competition for Orakpo.

"We call ourselves the hybrids," Orakpo said. "It's a unique position, and we think of ourselves as special. We brag a lot about being the only guys who can play two positions. We're both trying to learn both positions, and we push each other and feed off of each other."

While the spotlight definitely will be on Orakpo this season, he is more focused on team goals than individual accomplishments.

"My goal is just to win," Orakpo said. "I'm a team-oriented guy; I don't care about all that individual stuff. Every year I put up goals, and the primary goals are always team goals. I just want to put up as many wins as we can and try to get to the postseason."

Orakpo still may have a long road ahead of him to make a name for himself in the NFL, but he certainly has the attributes, both physical and mental, to get there.

"Football is very important to him; he has a great blue-collar work ethic and attitude and approach. I think that he'll be successful because he's very talented, but he will handle that lifestyle very well off the field because he's a very mature person," Muschamp said.

The more I read about Orakpo, the more I become excited about the things he can do for us. The fact that's he willing to work at it relentlessly and is learning quickly is a sign of good things to come from #98! :)

Encouraging to read. Not that I'm not still high on our top three picks from last year coming into this season, but its nice to have our top draft pick have a head on his shoulders, a great work ethic, and a knowledge of what needs to be done, unlike last year. That will take him far, and being an athletic beast to go along with it can hopefully make him into a special player for us.

One thing that will help Orakpo in his transition is his relentless work ethic.

Orakpo also has been praised by Redskins coaches for his ability to learn quickly and pick up the defensive schemes as he goes. He definitely made a strong impression at the Redskins' minicamps.

http://m.profootballweekly.com/NFL_features/3643/full/;jsessionid=372157BC5B6196C2DA494E59CD20DB9F.wap2

....Dude i'm excited for the defense this year.

I can't wait to watch teams try to pass protect our DL+Orakpo blitzing from the SAM.

If they only double Haynesworth that leaves everyone else singled up and either Orakpo or Carter matched up against 1-on-1 vs a TE or RB.:D

232x256.jpg?center=0.5,0232x298.jpg?center=0.5,0

They talk about Terrell Suggs and Demarcus Ware making the switch successfully, but they fail to mention that they were successful in a 3-4 scheme and most of the time they were just rushing the passer. They still struggled in coverage, often. Most of the best defenses in the NFL run the 3-4, I'm just wondering when we will. I know Fat Albert is more of a 4-3 guy, so it's probably a moot point for the foreseeable future.

But beyond that, I'm concerned that B.Orapko is going to struggle at strong-side linebacker having to drop back in coverage and cover tight ends or take on the blocking tight ends on 1st and 2nd down. Will they wear him down and reduce his effectiveness on 3rd down getting to the QB. Questions I ask myself that I really have heard or seen discussed.............

They talk about Terrell Suggs and Demarcus Ware making the switch successfully, but they fail to mention that they were successful in a 3-4 scheme and most of the time they were just rushing the passer. They still struggled in coverage, often. Most of the best defenses in the NFL run the 3-4, I'm just wondering when we will. I know Fat Albert is more of a 4-3 guy, so it's probably a moot point for the foreseeable future.

But beyond that, I'm concerned that B.Orapko is going to struggle at strong-side linebacker having to drop back in coverage and cover tight ends or take on the blocking tight ends on 1st and 2nd down. Will they wear him down and reduce his effectiveness on 3rd down getting to the QB. Questions I ask myself that I really have heard or seen discussed.............

Actually it has been discussed in several very long and pretty heated threads here. I have the same reservations with the move. So do alot of people here. However there are alot of others who think it's a great move. And some in between.

One thing that will help Orakpo in his transition is his relentless work ethic.

....Dude i'm excited for the defense this year.

I can't wait to watch teams try to pass protect our DL+Orakpo blitzing from the SAM.

If they only double Haynesworth that leaves everyone else singled up and either Orakpo or Carter matched up against 1-on-1 vs a TE or RB.:D

Yup....but please do not forget how fast and explosive Fletcher can be. We will see things out of Mcintosh as well.

I think the kid is a natural, and could also be a heck of a fullback, H-Back, or whatever. He has a zest for the game and will do everything the coaches ask of him. This is the kind of player coaches LOVE......and the Skins picked a WINNER when they drafted Brian Orakpo!

I just re-watched the Browns game. Marcus Washington was actually on the field, and he played almost exclusively, up, on the line of scrimmage in a 4-3 under on first and second downs. He attacked, up-field, vs the run, and rushed the passer just about every snap. I saw only one play where he had coverage on a shallow flat. Washington was freed up from coverage responsibility because Horton was always in his hip pocket. Horton would man the TE, or pass him off and pick up a back releasing into pass routes. With about the 8 minutes left in the game the defense did shift back to a traditional 4-3.

It had been mentioned that the last Eagle game was a good example of how Orakpo may be used in a SAM role. I think the Browns game provides a much better example. If you can watch it check it out. I re-watched all the games some several times with NFL REWIND.

Anyway its exactly what has been discussed with Orakpo in a hybrid role. It was just one game where the 4-3 under was used extensively. But it showed how the SAM can be used with almost no responsibility in coverage and used purely to attack up-field.

I don't know if Orkapo could be used in that role in the 4-3 under, on a weekly basis, as part of a regular defensive game plan, against every offense. Doing so would represent a significant shift in scheme and philosophy. But it might give some insight on how Orakpo may be used. And alleviate some of the concerns about him getting forced into, and exposed in coverage. I wouldn't expect wholesale changes, but, I would guess that the more success that Orakpo has, and we have as a defensive unit the more frequently we will see it.

i'm not sold on him as a linebacker, but he appears to have the right mentality for picking up the position

his work ethic and attitude towards the change and the team in general has been everything we could have hoped for

I would definitely have Orakpo at DE full time, but if he believes he can be successful doing both things, more power to him.

I'm happy with Orakpo rushing every play. Sure teams know that's what he will be doing but I'm hoping the 2009 Redskins are a different animal to the 2008 ones. Last year 's pass rush was slide Carter wide and watch for a blitzer.

We're going to be tough to run on still. Haynesworth will have to be doubled. Carter is a beast (who will hopefully get a rest at times rather than be an every down player, I want to see what Chris Wilson has). Orakpo will be coming from????

If a team can run through our DT rotation, or outside of Daniels with Fletcher sweeping behind, or pass on the (potential) pass rush on our excellent DB corps well enough to beat us then they deserve the win.

We won't know for real until the season plays out but we look better and younger than we have for a long time. The only question mark is Haynesworth desire now he isn't in a contract year but he has said in an interview on the main site he wants into the HoF. If that was truthful, which is how it came across, we are making a big jump on D from an inflated 4th to a real ?.

Teams have far more than Orakpo to worry about. Should help him ease into the Pros.

The expectations for Rak are so high I will be happy if he fullfills 50%.

I'm hoping that they are smart enough to rotate a lot of players on D this year. I think you can't put any guy out there 100% of the time unless he is a real vet. Even then, I like rotation.

The same goes for Haynesworth.

Rotates your DL and LB's. Keep guys fresh and experienced.

I'm hoping that they are smart enough to rotate a lot of players on D this year. I think you can't put any guy out there 100% of the time unless he is a real vet. Even then, I like rotation.

The same goes for Haynesworth.

Rotates your DL and LB's. Keep guys fresh and experienced.

That's Blanche's basic scheme... rotate guys constantly according to packages. He calls his defense according to plays not personnel so that's a plus.

We will find out in the first Defensive Series against The Giants because you can count on the fact that they will put him in a position to cover somebody. Probably the very first play.

The trepedation people have about this is how he will fare in coverage. Who's to say he won't be good at it?? Maybe he'll be just fine covering backs and TE's. Nobody knows the answer to this question.

Personally, I want this guy attacking QB's as much as possible. The flip side of this whole thing is that leaving him at DE all the time would make for a weaker run defense. So I personally believe the coaching staff is using him in such a manner as to have him on the field as much as possible. SAM on Running Downs and DE on Passing Downs.

We've got a couple months before we'll know if this is going to work. I'm willing to give them time to prove their plan is the right one.

We will find out in the first Defensive Series against The Giants because you can count on the fact that they will put him in a position to cover somebody. Probably the very first play.

The trepedation people have about this is how he will fare in coverage. Who's to say he won't be good at it?? Maybe he'll be just fine covering backs and TE's. Nobody knows the answer to this question.

Pass protection wont be much of an issue because he wont be a full time SAM, and as much as people like to complain about it, Marcus Washington was horrible in pass protection these past few year. Yet we didnt stubble too much with him in there.

With Albert in the middle our DE will not get doubled. My biggest issue is relying heavily on a very old and often injured Daniels in front of RAK. I think the FO fears this also, and thats why there also pushing Chris Wilson to do the same. IMO it's only a matter of time b4 Daniels goes down. I cant see him lasting the whole season. RAK will start and Chris will be behind him.

Archived