Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need help in identifying possible international scam.

Mickalino

This is going to sound eerily much like a Nigerian scam, but at the same time, it is very different, and sounds legit. I just wanted to be sure.

A girl from the Dominican Republic is asking me to wire her money via Western Union, which by itself, sounds very questionable.

But here is the difference.

1) I have actually met this girl in-person, on a trip to the DR a few years ago.

2) She is wanting to send money to me via Paypal (not a check or money order, that can possibly be counterfeit) and then wire her the money via Western Union. If it's Paypal, it has to be legit, because I can pick it up in cash somewhere, right ?

Basically, several years ago, I started talking to this girl on a dating site, and I made a trip to see her in-person, in the Dominican Republic, and we went on some dates while I was there. It went really well. I enjoyed my time with her, but after I came back to the states, I stopped contacting her, because I realized I'd probably never see her again, or not enough to maintain a relationship. She was hurt by this.

So recently, in a diplomatic gesture, I IM'd her and apologized, and we turned into friends.

So, fast forward a couple months, and now she wants me to receive money in a Paypal account, because she cannot have open a Paypal account in her country.

She works in a travel business in the DR, and an Italian client sent her money via Paypal for a travel transaction, but she cannot receive it through paypal, due to the politics in her country. If I'm getting it through Paypal, it has to be legit, right ? And there is no risk in me sending the money to her, is there ?

Here is her email to me........

hola!! I am, Wendy from Dominican Rep

Hope you be good.

Excuse me if i bother you now, but i need someone help me with a transaction urgently and thought maybe you can to do it.

First of all, need to know if you have Paypal account, if you have one so can help me.

Look, I have this situation, I received money in my Paypal account, i need it now but can´t transfer to my account in my country.

it have to be to one account in USA and i have not account there.

So i need transfer my mone to other paypal account of other person and later this person send me the money via Western union o other company but the importan is that i need the money today.

Sorry if we not talk and i ask you for this favor, but i asking to everybody that i know and nobody can to do that.

please, answer me as soon as you can.

take care,

Wendy

Um, she has a paypal account, but can't access the money in it? Why would she have the account to begin with then?

Apparently, she opened the account just to receive this transaction, but she said she cannot access it, because in many Latin countries, they have restrictions to transfer it.

Now, she is saying, "if you can't do it, let me see what I can do....i may have to cancel the reservations, and refund the client."

Apparently, she opened the account just to receive this transaction, but she said she cannot access it, because in many Latin countries, they have restrictions to transfer it.

Obviously in asking if it's a scam, you're leary of it, and for good reason. If your gut is questioning the validity, I don't think it's a risk you should take.

Don't you think if she can't access it she could just send this guy the money back and have HIM transfer it through another company?

That's the worst grammar ever.

She lives in her native country, Dominican Republic, so she is just speaking her native country. I would not expect her to have excellent English grammar. She has always talked to me like this, when we talk in English.

"hola!! I am, Wendy from Dominican Rep

Hope you be good."

Nothing says scam like such an inpersonal greeting.

I have actually known her for about 4 or 5 years - it sounds impersonal because we have hardly talked in the last few years, and she is just trying to sound respectful in light of that....and throw in her poor English as a reason, too

Mick.... really?

I know this girl, I've met her....we made out...there is an emotional and physical connection.....so i feel obligated to try to help, if i can.

During the last 4 or 5 years, she's asked NOTHING of me, until now, except my company and affection.

I know this girl, I've met her....we made out...there is an emotional and physical connection.....so i feel obligated to try to help, if i can.

During the last 4 or 5 years, she's asked NOTHING of me, until now, except my company and affection.

So, it's a scam with a personal touch. Stay away from this Mick. Tell her politely that you just don't feel comfortable doing it. Did you ever think that maybe the reason she signed up for a dating site was to meet desperate guys who would eventually send her money? You could be one of many.

So' date=' it's a scam with a personal touch. Stay away from this Mick. Tell her politely that you just don't feel comfortable doing it. Did you ever think that maybe the reason she signed up for a dating site was to meet desperate guys who would eventually send her money? You could be one of many.[/quote']

But what could the risk be, of me withdrawing Cash from Paypal ?

You'd have to ask PayPal what would happen if she tried to rescind the transaction.

Is it really plausible that you are the best contact for her in the whole world to do this transaction and her client won't pay in another way?

Is it really plausible that you are the best contact for her in the whole world to do this transaction and her client won't pay in another way?

Quite possible.

I could be the only guy in the U.S., that she knows, AND trusts enough with her money.....since i have known her a while.

Plus, she is not even pressuring, me....she keeps saying, "i dont want to bother you - if you can't do it, it's okay - i'll just refund my client's money, and cancel the reservation"

I think you are putting too much faith in Paypal and not enough in the loopholes. I don't know Paypal well enough to say anything definitively, but couldn't she do the Paypal transaction, have you send her the cash, then dispute the original transaction, only to leave you in the lurch? I'm not a scammer or a Paypal frequent user, but there are a lot of Nigerians wearing thick ass gold chains because people weren't able to see a catch.

Also, what's the risk of NOT doing this? Losing a long-distance friend who you've made-out with? I feel that this risks outweigh the rewards, but I also don't like helping people.

I think you are putting too much faith in Paypal and not enough in the loopholes. I don't know Paypal well enough to say anything definitively' date=' but couldn't she do the Paypal transaction, have you send her the cash, then dispute the original transaction, only to leave you in the lurch? I'm not a scammer or a Paypal frequent user, but there are a lot of Nigerians wearing thick ass gold chains because people weren't able to see a catch.[/quote']

If that was possible, wouldn't we have heard reports of that happening already by now, with all the different types of transactions Paypal generates ?

What about this? Does anyone think this is a scam? :silly:

Dear Email Owner,

The Board of Directors and the International Promotion Department of Euro Millions Intl wishes to congratulate you on your success for being one of our lucky prize winners of Ђ735,110.17 (euros) in our NEWYEAR CRISIS SOLUTION PROMO. This notice will come to you as a surprise, the results of the 2009 electronic online email sweepstakes is out, and your email ID won Ђ735,110.17 in category 2A, attached to Qualification Number EF/2709/EUSA and lucky winning Number 25/33/36/38/42/6/7

This is a program aimed to help families with the current Global crisis and aimed also at encouraging Internet users, hence no ticket sold. We request you pay attention to this notice and follow, the Steps and conditions below to claim your prize. To file for your claim contact the appointed paying finance agent on the telephone number and email given below.

EURO CASH S.L

Mr. David Williams

Tel: +34 634 153 636

Valencia, Spain

Email to: infoeuroespana@aol.com & eurocashsls@mixmail.com

STEPS & CONDITIONS TO CLAIM YOUR WINNING PRIZE.

1. Quote your Qualification Number, winning number, your full name, Address, Country, Telephone, Mobile, Fax number and occupation via email to enable the process of your winning.

2. All lucky participants would be required to obtain the Legalization Task Clearance document from the Local Government of Valencia for endorsement of your Winning Certificate of Ђ735,110.17 on your name and prize cheque.

Congratulations in Advance!! We wish you the best of luck as you spend your good fortune.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Maria Gomez.

Promotional Manager.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: REPLY TO infoeuroespana@aol.com & eurocashsls@mixmail.com AND ALSO CALL MR. DAVID WILLIAMS ON +34 634 153 636, FOR MORE DETAILS AND YOU ARE TO KEEP ALL INFORMATION'S FROM PUBLIC AS WE WILL NOT ENTERTAIN CASES OF MULTIPLE CLAIMS. "BE WARNED!!

Copyright© 1994-2009 Euromillions Spanish Online Lottery Inc.

All rights reserved. Terms of Service Guidelines

Archived