Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Type of Coach Do You Prefer?

MattFancy

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

the combination of the two works best, in my opinion... the way tomlin handled parker speaking out last season compared with how zorn handled portis was glowing to me... coaches that can related to the players but also demand their respect are usually the best...

Strict, then a bit of both once the ground rules have been established & some appreciation of 'who's in charge' exists. The key is making that happen whilst building & maintaining some kind of genuine mutual respect with the players.

I also like the idea of someone who makes good or average players perform like great players. That tends to help.

I like the coaches that figure out what motivates thier team best. If he finds that his team responds to some "fire"; so be it; If the team responds to "being laid back", that's cool too...

I would say that any combination of the two is the correct answer. The balance of the two is probably the most important part for any winner; whether it's a football coach or anyone that is responsible for a group of people. At the end of the day, people respect and respond to a winner!

There should be a third option, maybe a fourth too. I don't think you can make "laid back" and "strict/diciplinarian" mutually exclusive. If you had options like, "a screamer" or "a push-over" then they'd be completely different, but you can be laid-back and a disciplinarian at the same time. It's all in how you go about it.

I don't think Tony Dungy wasn't a disciplinarian and he was laid back, same with Coach Gibbs, Zorn. I don't want a stand-offish coach who alienates players, but I don't want him to go to strip clubs with the players either. You need a good balance I think.

Am not so sure that Zorn is laid back. He talks like he is with the stay medium rhetroic but then you see him on the sidelines sometimes looking like an emotional basket case when things go wrong. We saw him chew out Portis on the sidelines in a nationally televised game. By his own admission he yelled at the waterboy one game. We have seen him call out players and even make fun of them (and not perhaps in a nice way) in interviews.

To me Zorn seems like a man searching for his identiy as a head coach.

Am not so sure that Zorn is laid back. He talks like he is with the stay medium rhetroic but then you see him on the sidelines sometimes looking like an emotional basket case when things go wrong. We saw him chew out Portis on the sidelines in a nationally televised game. By his own admission he yelled at the waterboy one game. We have seen him call out players and even make fun of them (and not perhaps in a nice way) in interviews.

To me Zorn seems like a man searching for his identiy as a head coach.

I think Zorn is the third specific type of coach that's getting ignored in this thread, which is the player's coach. They usually are more laid back and personable in interviews and press conferences, but when they get on the field they become fiery and pretty tough. I think Tomlin, Rex Ryan, Fisher and yes, Zorn, fit the mold.

I think Zorn is the third specific type of coach that's getting ignored in this thread, which is the player's coach. They usually are more laid back and personable in interviews and press conferences, but when they get on the field they become fiery and pretty tough. I think Tomlin, Rex Ryan, Fisher and yes, Zorn, fit the mold.

Good point though you see some of Zorn's temper in interviews too, he snapped at Czaben a couple of times in radio interviews, then I recall he let a reporter have it for rolling their eyes in a press conference.

Zorn to me is a hard guy to figure out personality wise. You see his laid back nature, and that he can be a really nice guy, very protective of players like Jason Campbell in the media then you see a snippy, emotional guy who takes shots at his players in the media

Edit: thinking about it for a sec, that's not wildy different from Norv. Norv seemed laid back but you also saw his firey side on the sidelines at times, and like Zorn seemed to like to shift the responsibility of the losses to the players.

You can be either and have it work ...

But what you cannot do is start out as laid back and then become a disciplinarian. It confuses people and they don't know how to respond.

On the other hand you can start out as a disciplinarian and later, if when things are running the way you want, become laid back.

So, the viable options are:

1. Strict - Strict

2. Strict - Laid Back

3. Laid Back - Laid Back

I have the same opinion on coaches as Machiavelli does on political leaders.

In answering the question of whether it is better to be loved than feared' date=' Machiavelli writes, “The answer is of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved.” As Machiavelli asserts, commitments made in peace are not always kept in adversity; however, commitments made in fear are kept out of fear. Yet, a prince must ensure that he is not feared to the point of hatred, which is very possible.[/quote']

+1 strict

any coach who walks into a team w/ an affirmed M.O. is doomed from the start. Success is found in diversity and the ability to indear one's self to the impressionable and to lay off of the hard !@#'s.

If you talk that, " My way or the highway" jive you will draw the knucle-head out of every guy in your lockerroom.

You gotta be both...

HTTR

Archived