Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Type of Coach Do You Prefer?

MattFancy

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I got this idea from the Albert Haynesworth Interview Thread.

What type of coach do you guys prefer? A strict in your face guy like Cowher, Parcells, Coughlin, etc. Or a laid back guy like Zorn, Norv, etc.

What would be the best fit for the group of guys we have now? Let's see what you all think!

I think a strict guy works the best. They seem to be able to gain respect from the players while demanding the most out of them. I'm not saying that I don't like Zorn and that I want Cowher to come in. Just that I think strict coaches seem to have the most success.

Was joe Gibbs laid-back? I think he was both Strict and laid-back. I think a coach should be both. He should know when to be laid-back and know the time to be strict.

I feel like his first stint here he may have been strict. I think when he came back in 2004, he was a little more laid-back.

It depends on the team. If you bring in Tom Coughlin after Bill Parcells, your team will quit by Week 4.

If you bring in Wade Phillips after Steve Spurrier, the team will be eating hot dogs on the sidelines.

Is your team young and full of promise? A veteran team? A bunch of prima donnas?

Why did Randy Moss thrive under a hands-off coach like Denny Green and thrive under a dictator like Belichik and eat every other coach alive?

I think a coach should be both. He should know when to be laid-back and know the time to be strict.

I agree with this. Cowher always gave me the impression that this was his style. Tough when he needed to be and fun to be around at times. Coughlin gives me the impression that he's a hard-ass all the time.

I like the 'players coach' type the best. Someone like Mike Tomlin. I think he'd be great to play for, both in pushing you hard and giving you a break when you need it. I actually think Zorn is more of the players coach than some people seem to think. Tony Dungy was laid back. Zorn is not like that.

I prefer a coach who can adapt.

Although its not exactly the same comparison, it always struck me as genius how adaptable Gibbs was. He came in as a pass happy assistant coach, lost a few games, and quickly realized he had a huge offensive line and #44. So he changed and focused on a run first mentality.

The point is that this applies (IMO) to coaching tactics too. Veteran teams might need something different than younger teams. I want an adaptable guy.

I feel like his first stint here he may have been strict. I think when he came back in 2004, he was a little more laid-back.

Not behind closed doors i would imagine, just like his first tenure here

I prefer strict, but not in front of the public

It depends on the team. If you bring in Tom Coughlin after Bill Parcells' date=' your team will quit by Week 4.

If you bring in Wade Phillips after Steve Spurrier, the team will be eating hot dogs on the sidelines.

Is your team young and full of promise? A veteran team? A bunch of prima donnas?

Why did Randy Moss thrive under a hands-off coach like Denny Green and thrive under a dictator like Belichik and eat every other coach alive?[/quote']

I agree, too many factors to just pick one type and that be it.

I think for the Redskins, as constituted, a laid back coach would get the best results. I don't see our personalities (Portis, Cooley, Haynesworth, Moss) meshing well with a Coughlin or Parcells type.

I agree with a lot of guys in this thread; there needs to be a healthy combination of the two. you need to know when to turn up the intensity, and when to joke around and be fun. knowing how to do both is something you can't really learn unfortunately, it seems to be something that's just in your nature.

Archived