Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBA pre 2009 draft discussion thread

The Villi Phanatic

I'm copying a mock draft here (from nbadraft.net) for discussion purposes. I'm a college hoops junkie so I figured I'd start a thread up for discussing the upcoming NBA draft.

Round 1

1 LA Clippers Blake Griffin 6-10 248 PF Oklahoma So.

2 Memphis Hasheem Thabeet 7-2 267 C UConn Jr.

3 Oklahoma Cty James Harden 6-5 222 SG Arizona St. So.

4 Sacramento Ricky Rubio 6-3 180 PG Spain Intl.

5 Washington Jordan Hill 6-10 232 PF Arizona Jr.

6 Minnesota Stephen Curry 6-3 181 PG/SG Davidson Jr.

7 Golden St. Jonny Flynn 6-0 196 PG Syracuse So.

8 New York Brandon Jennings 6-1 170 PG USA Intl.

9 Toronto Gerald Henderson 6-5 215 SG/SF Duke Jr.

10 Milwaukee Jeff Teague 6-2 175 PG Wake Forest So.

11 New Jersey DeMar DeRozan 6-7 211 SG USC Fr.

12 Charlotte Tyreke Evans 6-5 221 SG Memphis Fr.

13 Indiana DeJuan Blair 6-6 277 PF Pittsburgh So.

14 Phoenix James Johnson 6-8 257 SF Wake Forest So.

15 Detroit BJ Mullens 7-0 258 C Ohio State Fr.

16 Chicago Earl Clark 6-10 226 SF Louisville Jr.

17 Philadelphia Chase Budinger 6-7 206 SG/SF Arizona Jr.

18 *Minnesota Jrue Holiday 6-4 199 PG/SG UCLA Fr.

19 Atlanta Wayne Ellington 6-5 202 SG North Carolina Jr.

20 Utah Tyler Hansbrough 6-9 234 PF North Carolina Sr.

21 New Orleans Eric Maynor 6-3 164 PG VCU Sr.

22 Dallas Terrence Williams 6-6 213 SG/SF Louisville Sr.

23 *Sacramento Omri Casspi 6-9 211 SF Israel Intl.

24 Portland Derrick Brown 6-8 225 SF Xavier Jr.

25 *Oklahoma Cty Ty Lawson 6-0 197 PG North Carolina Jr.

26 *Chicago Sam Young 6-6 223 SF Pittsburgh Sr.

27 *Memphis DaJuan Summers 6-8 243 SF Georgetown Jr.

28 *Minnesota Austin Daye 6-11 192 SF Gonzaga So.

29 LA Lakers Marcus Thornton 6-4 194 SG LSU Sr.

30 Cleveland Taj Gibson 6-10 214 PF USC Jr.

Round 2

31 Sacramento Victor Claver 6-9 236 SF Spain Intl.

32 Washington Toney Douglas 6-2 183 PG/SG Florida St. Sr.

33 *Portland Darren Collison 6-1 166 PG UCLA Sr.

34 *Denver Jermaine Taylor 6-5 207 SG Central Florida Sr.

35 *Detroit Jonas Jerebko 6-9 220 SF Sweden Intl.

36 Memphis Dionte Christmas 6-5 211 SG Temple Sr.

37 *San Antonio Patrick Mills 6-0 175 PG St. Mary's So.

38 *Portland Jeff Pendergraph 6-10 240 PF Arizona St. Sr.

39 *Detroit Curtis Jerrells 6-1 195 PG Baylor Sr.

40 *Charlotte Nick Calathes 6-5 185 PG USA Intl.

41 Milwaukee Josh Heytvelt 6-11 246 PF Gonzaga Sr.

42 *LA Lakers Jeff Adrien 6-6 235 PF UConn Sr.

43 *Miami Rodrigue Beaubois 6-2 182 PG France Intl.

44 Detroit Leo Lyons 6-9 235 PF Missouri Sr.

45 *Minnesota Danny Green 6-6 208 SF North Carolina Sr.

46 *Cleveland Jon Brockman 6-7 255 PF Washington Sr.

47 *Minnesota Dante Cunningham 6-8 227 SF/PF Villanova Sr.

48 Phoenix Sergii Gladyr 6-6 190 SG Ukraine Intl.

49 Atlanta DeMarre Carroll 6-8 207 SF/PF Missouri Sr.

50 Utah Tyrese Rice 6-0 190 PG Boston College Sr.

51 *San Antonio Jerel McNeal 6-3 190 SG Marquette Sr.

52 *Indiana Vyacheslav Kravt... 7-0 235 C Ukraine Intl.

53 *San Antonio Wesley Matthews 6-5 215 SG Marquette Sr.

54 *Charlotte Robert Dozier 6-10 215 SF/PF Memphis Sr.

55 *Portland Jodie Meeks 6-4 211 SG Kentucky Jr.

56 Portland Nando De Colo 6-5 190 PG/SG France Intl.

57 *Phoenix Milenko Tepic 6-7 200 PG/SG Serbia Intl.

58 Boston Emir Preldzic 6-8 220 SG/SF Slovenia Intl.

59 LA Lakers Chris Johnson 6-11 205 PF/C LSU Sr.

60 *Miami Garret Siler 6-11 305 C Augusta St. Sr.

Top 10 comments:

- Jordan Hill seems a bit high with his draft position based too much on his potential and build though I know he's still learning the nuances of the game of basketball.

- I like Teague a bit higher. I'd take him over a guy like Harden who seems a bit too slow to me to excel at the NBA level.

First round comments:

- Budinger's too high and is somewhat like Damian James with his production not matching potential expectations. I'd put him as an early to mid 2nd rounder.

- Terrence Williams is way too low. He's similar to Dwayne Wade with his versatility and is not the greatest shooter but is a good scorer and ball handler.

- Sam Young is also too low, no way either him or t.will should be behind other small forwards like Budinger.

- Austin Daye should probably be a bit higher though it's mostly based on his potential which he hasn't quite reached through 2 years at Gonzaga.

Second round comments:

- Danny Green's a bit low. I just don't see much of a difference between him and Ellington production and ability wise, just that Ellington has a bit more athleticism and potential to improve.

- Mcneal's too low. He'll be undersized playing the 2 which is the only reason I can see for him being that low but he can still score too easily to be a late 2nd rounder.

- Hansbrough's too high. He should be slotted as an early 2nd rounder, and I'd personally put other forwards like Cunningham (who I have as one of the 2 most improved players in the draft along with Jordan Hill) ahead of him.

- Paul Harris and McClinton should definitely be getting drafted and I'd put them both ahead of a number of guys projected to be taken in the 2nd round.

- I think Pendergraph is too high and is borderline worthy of being drafted. He probably shouldn't be ahead of guys like Adrien, Brockman, and Cunningham

- I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take a flier on Stanley Robinson in the 2nd round. He's similar to Ewing Jr with his skillset and is better now than Ewing was when he was drafted last year.

I can't tell you how PO'ed I am that Flynn and Harris both declared for the draft.

I don't have much to look forward to as a Celtic fan as far as the draft is concerned... Unless they move Ray Allen like rumors are suggesting... But then I don't know if I'm looking forward to it...

I have seen some mocks that have Hansbrough going as high as 11 to NJ. I'd love to see my Celtics sneak into the top 25 and take Sam Young. I think this guy will be amazing in the NBA. I think the Wizards should try to trade up to snag Thabeet.

Can't wait until the Knicks do something stupid. An annual event at this point.

For those wondering, we don't have a second round pick because of the Eddy Curry trade. That should be the last of that deal, at least.....

I was hopeful that year.... but then the Dino pick was made. I haven't written him off.... but then again, I've never had high expectations for him anyways.

Word is they like Curry a lot... will draft Hill though if he's on the board... and they also like Jennings.

If either of those 3 are selected.... I'd be happy. But, I also know the Knicks are known for curveballs.

Little off topic....

Anybody think the Wiz will return the the playoffs next year... Get gilbert back finally and another high draftpick to go with the 30 other high draftpicks they've accumulated over the last three decades since they were a pretty good team.

I hear Shack might be going to Cleveland, the organizations have made the deal and are just waiting for Shack to sign on. Not that Cleveland isn't already out of Washington's league.

I'd love to see my Celtics sneak into the top 25 and take Sam Young. I think this guy will be amazing in the NBA.

Maybe it's just me but if I'm a GM looking at a board with Young and Budinger available and need a small forward, it's a no-brainer to pick Young. Their stats are similar enough (Budinger is probably a slightly better 3 pt shooter and distributor with Young being a bit better scorer and rebounder) but watching them play the past 2 years, I think there's a clear edge to Young.

I would be hyped if we can get Amare and team him up with Haywood and Butler. But since this is a DC team we are talking about, they will find a way to mess it up. :Doh:

I think Tyler Hansbrough will be marvelous in Utah. That team is always solid and he will be a beast coming off of the bench.

Chase Budinger is the sleeper pick in the draft. Dude is sweet and he will probably be like a poor mans Dirk.

http://walterfootball.com/nbadraft2009mock.php

# Los Angeles Clippers: Blake Griffin, PF, Oklahoma, 6-9, So.

Poor Blake Griffin. This has to be the worst case scenario for him. The Clips are are a destination where players just do not thrive. They already have some talented big man in Chris Kaman, Marcus Camby, and Zach Randolph. Maybe Griffin can be the spark and hard worker the Clipper franchise has been longing for for the past decade-plus.

Think: Amare Stoudamire

# Memphis Grizzlies: Hasheem Thabeet, C, UConn, 7-3, Jr.

Since it looks like the Grizzlies are going to hang onto this pick, Thabeet is the best option. Memphis needs a defensive presence in the middle to complement their young talent on the wing. I still maintain that Ricky Rubio is the better long-term prospect, but it appears the Spanish sensation isn't interested in playing for the Griz.

Think: Ben Wallace, but six inches taller

# Oklahoma City Thunder: James Harden, SG, Arizona State, 6-5, So.

The former Sun Devil would be a nice backcourt complement to Russell Westbrook and provide an added scoring punch alongside Kevin Durant. Ricky Rubio could once again be an option but like Memphis, he doesn't seem very interested in playing in Oklahoma City. Drafting Rubio would also mean shifting Westbrook to the two-guard spot which is not a great fit since he struggles with his outside shot.

Think: Paul Pierce

# Sacramento Kings: Ricky Rubio, PG, Spain, 6-4, 1990

This is a dream situation for the Kings. All along, I have said that Rubio is a perfect match for a Sacramento team in need of a point guard and a face of the franchise. The Kings could royally screw up my 2009 NBA Mock Draft if they decide to take Jonny Flynn or Jrue Holiday instead - a rumor that is gaining steam.

Think: Steve Nash

# Washington Wizards: Stephen Curry, G, Davidson, 6-3, Jr.

Rumors remain persistent that the Wizards are still actively shopping this pick with hopes of landing a veteran player. If they do end up staying put, Curry would make sense to pair with Agent Zero in the backcourt. Expect Curry or Jordan Hill to be the target if a team trades into this spot.

Think: Jason Terry

# Minnesota Timberwolves: Tyreke Evans, G, Memphis, 6-6, Fr.

I love Evans and think he would be the perfect fit for the T-Wolves who need a player that can attack the basket which is Evans' strength. He can also play some point guard, a position that Randy Foye has never really taken over since arriving in Minnesota. The knock on Evans is his inconsistent outside shot, but that improves with time.

Think: Manu Ginobli

# Golden State Warriors: Jonny Flynn, PG, Syracuse, 6-0, So.

Everything I have read about Flynn during the draft process has been positive as teams love his complete package both on and off the court. The Warriors need a true point guard and with Flynn gaining buzz, he is the likely choice, though Jrue Holiday or Brandon Jennings are also viable options.

Think: Raymond Felton

# New York Knicks: Jordan Hill, PF, Arizona, 6-10, So.

With David Lee's future in New York in the air, the Knicks would be wise to snag Hill and not let him slip any further. Point guard remains an option as well, and I still think Demar DeRozan could be a long-term solution for a team in need of some youth on the wing.

Think: LaMarcus Aldridge

# Toronto Raptors: Demar DeRozan, SG, USC, 6-6, Fr.

Especially with the recent trade of Jason Kapono to the Sixers, the Raptors will without a doubt address their need for an athletic wing player. DeRozan really came on strong during his freshman season and is at his best when attacking the basket.

Think: Vince Carter

# Milwaukee Bucks: Jrue Holiday, G, UCLA, 6-3, Fr.

The Bucks seem to be weighing the decision of taking a point guard or power forward. Holiday came into UCLA with great hype, but was a major disappointment in his freshman campaign. He will be drafted purely based on his upside and how he performs in his individual workouts as his skill set still intrigues many NBA teams. Holiday can D' it up and would serve as insurance in case Ramon Session is lost in the offseason.

Think: Royal Ivey

# New Jersey Nets: Earl Clark, SF, Louisville, 6-8, Jr.

This would be a very solid pick for the Nets at 11. Clark has the potential to be a point forward-type player in the NBA, is a freak of an athlete, and has nice range on his jumper. He would be a great fit in New Jersey alongside Vince Carter on the wing. Gerald Henderson would also be a logical option for the Nets.

Think: Lamar Odom

# Charlotte Bobcats: Gerald Henderson, SG, Duke, 6-4, Jr.

With Raja Bell entering the final year of his contract and no depth behind him at the two, the Bobcats have a no-brainer here. Henderson took a major step during his junior season and will likely continue to improve at the next level. He is an athletic scorer and can also stroke it from deep.

Think: J.R. Smith

# Indiana Pacers: Brandon Jennings, PG, Italy, 6-0, 1989

The Pacers need an athletic power forward first and foremost, and could take a slight reach in either James Johnson or Austin Daye. There is also the possibility of Jarrett Jack leaving via free agency which makes Jennings a great value at No. 13. Jennings is one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2009 NBA Draft because he did not have great success playing overseas this year, but is loaded with potential.

Think: Kenny Anderson

# Phoenix Suns: Terrence Williams, SF, Louisville, 6-6, Sr.

With the Grant Hill and Matt Barnes both free agents, the Suns need to find a wing player. Williams attacks the hoop, is a very improved shooter, can rebound, is a great passer, and plays defense. I think he will be a great role player in the NBA.

Think: Gerald Wallace

# Detroit Pistons: B.J. Mullens, C, Ohio State, 7-0, Fr.

I am still surprised Mullens decided to go pro as he would have been better served returning to the Buckeyes and developing his game. But based on his athleticism, size and potential, he is definitely worth a mid-first round pick. He reportedly has a top-16 guarantee and the Pistons would make sense since they lack a true center.

Think: Spencer Hawes

# Chicago Bulls: DeJuan Blair, PF, Pittsburgh, 6-7, So.

Blair's stock has taken a hit lately as questions have come about regarding lingering knee injuries. The Bulls desperately need a physical low-post presence, and Blair would be a great fit. Though he is undersized, his strength and tremendous wingspan make him a force on the block and boards. Blair will need to work on his mid-range jumper to be effective at the next level. A shooting guard could also be an option since Ben Gordon is an unrestricted free agent.

Think: Craig Smith

# Philadelphia 76ers: Eric Maynor, PG, VCU, 6-3, Sr.

With Andre Miller a free agent, the Sixers are almost certainly drafting a point guard. Maynor is a playmaker on the offensive end and a true floor general, and he has good size to play the point in the NBA. Even though he must continue to become a more consistent shooter, Maynor is ready to contribute right away. If he is off the board, Ty Lawson or Jeff Teague will be targeted.

Think: Antonio Daniels

# Minnesota Timberwolves: Jeff Teague, PG, Wake Forest, 6-1, So.

The T-Wolves need to find a true point guard at some point in the 2009 NBA Draft. Teague is a scoring point who shot the ball at a very high percentage last season, and would be a great value here. If Minnesota is looking for more a true point guard, then Ty Lawson would likely be the pick.

Think: Keyon Dooling

# Atlanta Hawks: James Johnson, F, Wake Forest, 6-9, So.

Recent rumors have the Hawks shopping Josh Smith which makes Johnson a potential replacement. Even if they keep J-Smooth, the Hawks only have seven players under contract for next season and will likely take the best available player. The former Demon Deacon is an athletic forward who is also built like a linebacker. His shot needs a lot of work though.

Think: Wilson Chandler

# Utah Jazz: Tyler Hansbrough, PF, UNC, 6-9, Sr.

With the likelihood of the Jazz losing either Carlos Boozer or Paul Millsap via free agency, the Jazz could use a back-up power forward. As has been documented a million times, Hansbrough is a tough kid with a great work ethic and would mesh well with Jazz head coach Jerry Sloan's style of play.

Think: Eduardo Najera

# New Orleans Hornets: DaJuan Summers, SF, Georgetown, 6-8, Jr.

Summers is a physically gifted forward who would be a nice addition to the Hornets who need to add some depth and toughness up front. Despite underachieving at Georgetown this past season, Summers has thrown his name into the 2009 NBA Draft. He has an NBA-ready body, and is a good slasher and a decent outside shooter.

Think: Devean George

# Dallas Mavericks: Ty Lawson, PG, UNC, 5-11, Jr.

With Jason Kidd a free agent and not getting any younger, a point guard should be on the Mavs' radar. Lawson tremendously helped his stock in the NCAA Tournament and was probably the best floor general in college hoops. His three-point shot has greatly improved. A power forward could also be an option since Brandon Bass is a free agent. For more on Lawson, check out the new 2009 NBA Draft Mailbag.

Think: Jameer Nelson

# Sacramento Kings: Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga, 6-10, So.

At 6-10, Daye is much more comfortable playing on the perimeter than on the block due to his extremely thin frame. There is no doubting his athleticism and skill set, but he is going to get man-handled in the post if he doesn't get stronger. With their second of two first-round picks, he would be worth the risk at this point for the Kings. Think: a poor-man’s Tayshaun Prince

# Portland Blazers: Nick Calathes, G, Florida/Greece, 6-6, So.

The latest talk has Calathes now possibly second-guessing his decision to sign professionally in Greece. Portland doesn't have a real point guard of the future, so hoping Calathes can help out in a year or two isn't a bad idea. At 6-6, Calathes is not your typical point guard, but he is a great distributor and floor leader. The biggest questions revolve around his athleticism and toughness. There is also a very strong possibility the Blazers will trade or sell this pick.

Think: Sasha Vujacic

# Oklahoma City Thunder: Omri Casspi, F, Isreal, 6-9, 1988

With the second of their two first-round picks, Casspi would be a nice pick for the Thunder. He has gotten a lot of great feedback from teams after workouts during the past week. Though a bit weak for NBA standards, Casspi is "junkyard dog" type player who plays hard all of the time. He probably will stay overseas for another year.

Think: Andres Nocioni

# Chicago Bulls: Wayne Ellington, SG, UNC, 6-5, Jr.

If the Bulls address their need for a physical threat at No. 16, they should take a shooting guard here as insurance for the possible departure of Ben Gordon via free agency. Ellington had one of the prettiest strokes in college basketball, but lacks the desired athleticism for two-guards at the next level which is why he drops this low.

Think: Richard Hamilton

# Memphis Grizzlies: Chase Budinger, G/F, Arizona, 6-7, Jr.

Mike Conley is the only point guard on the Grizzlies roster, so grabbing a point guard like Mills with their second first-rounder makes sense. Mills really impressed on the national scene at last summer's Olympics. He can create his own shot, excels in transition, and is lightning quick off the dribble. If the Grizzlies end up taking and keeping Ricky Rubio at No. 2, they'll select the best available player here.

Think: Stephen Jackson

# Minnesota Timberwolves: Jonas Jerebko, F, Sweden, 6-9, 1989

I don't think the T-Wolves will keep all three of their first-round picks, but if they do, drafting a foreign player whom they can let develop overseas makes sense. Jerebko has a nice inside/outside game and has really improved his overall skills over the past year.

Think: Joe Alexander

# Los Angeles Lakers: Sam Young, G/F, Pittsburgh, 6-6, Sr.

Since Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza are both free agents, the Lakers need to add some depth at small forward in case one of them is lost. Young can play the two or three, and is ready to contribute off the bench right away with his scoring ability and great basketball IQ.

Think: Michael Finley

# Cleveland Cavaliers: Taj Gibson, PF, USC, 6-9, Jr.

With Anderson Varejao probably opting out of his contract and Ben Wallace contemplating retirement this offseason, the Cavs need to add a physical post player. Gibson can be a role player at the next level with his rebounding and shot-blocking abilities. He will 24 years old by the 2009 NBA Draft and could contribute off the bench in Cleveland right away.

Think: Malik Allen

# Minnesota Timberwolves: Tyreke Evans, G, Memphis, 6-6, Fr.

I love Evans and think he would be the perfect fit for the T-Wolves who need a player that can attack the basket which is Evans' strength. He can also play some point guard, a position that Randy Foye has never really taken over since arriving in Minnesota. The knock on Evans is his inconsistent outside shot, but that improves with time.

Think: Manu Ginobli

They are so totally wrong about this. Ginobili is a crafty player with a nasty jumpshot. Tyreke Evans is a great athlete with a bad jumpshot. Evans best comparison is Larry Hughes.

They are so totally wrong about this. Ginobili is a crafty player with a nasty jumpshot. Tyreke Evans is a great athlete with a bad jumpshot. Evans best comparison is Larry Hughes.

You are right on the money. I really didn't understand why people are so big on Evans....maybe because last year's college freshman class was pretty lackluster. Some people think the best guy out of the bunch is going into his sophmore year at Georgetown (Monroe). His jumper is a work-in-progress, and I don't see him running the point in the pros much, if at all. Just another one of those guys who scores a lot because he shoots a lot.

I DO like James Harden. I honestly think he would be a better comparison to Ginobli. Great outside shooter. Smooth player and a very good defender. I WISH the Spurs could make a reach for him, but that would almost certainly have to mean trading Parker or Ginobli to move up.

Eric Maynor is a guard who I think is a safe bet (Milwaukee, Atlanta possibly). True PG with scoring ability, and he proved that he could play with the big boys during his college career (Duke, UCLA).

Archived