Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dominique Dorsey catching punts... Redskins Insider blog

MattysRiff

"It's definitely a relief sometimes you get to fair catch," Dorsey said. "But who really likes to fair catch anyway?" - Dom

Hahaha. I don't know whether to be excited or worried about this. I mean, I want a guy who wants to field every punt and make plays as much as he can. But if he makes the team, I don't want him making bad decisions on game day when he tries to field a punt he should have let go, or fair caught.

We'll see.

From what I can tell, Dorsey and Alridge keep flipping for which one has a better chance to make the team. I honestly don't think either will get on the roster in the end (neither will Mason), but if someone does manage to get on the team, it'll probably be as a kick returner and/or punt returner rather than just depth at RB and non-returner on special teams. I say that mostly because apparently Ladell Betts is impressing coaches this offseason, and there seems to be a determination and loyalty to keep him as #2.

On the Redskins Blog, Terl said Alridge had a tough time catching punts, so maybe Dorsey will have the advantage there. I'd rather have ARE replaced as punt returner than Rock replaced as kick returner, but I'm most interested in having a burner to spell Portis. The coaches seem comfortable witih Portis and Betts, though. Alridge seems like the better RB option, but if they stick with just Portis and Betts with no third option, Dorsey might get the nod.

please don't get rid of rock, he is all heart.

He is definitely that, but I just don't know if he contributes enough to the team to not be on the hot seat.

I love the fact that he can get the ball to the 40 in clutch situations. But when our offense stalls like we've seen it do numerous times, you need a spark. Look at the Bills special teams. They light it up when the team needs it most.

I'd like a guy that can take it to the house at any given moment and DEFINITELY score rather than a guy that puts our offense in better position to MAYBE score (usually a FG).

Trade Betts for Boldin straight up. Then trade Kelly, Thomas and Davis for Matt Hasselbeck.

Yes, I still play Madden and realize that none of this is possible! lol

Betts for Boldin straight up would not work. Boldin is one of the best WR's in the NFL. Betts isnt even one of the best back ups in the NFL.

Betts and LL for Boldin and a 4th would be what I would expect... but im sure this wouldnt work either...

We are just both playing Madden though. Didnt Arz unload JJ Arrington after last season was over? They may be getting rid of Edge... Betts would look good there competing with Hightower for starting time. Im not sure what their saftey position looks like though, LL could only help.

The only thing that may not add up is the cap ramifications... not sure how an uncapped year plays into that. I also heard Boldin is closer to restructuring after firing Rosenhous.

Betts for Boldin straight up would not work. Boldin is one of the best WR's in the NFL. Betts isnt even one of the best back ups in the NFL.

Betts and LL for Boldin and a 4th would be what I would expect... but im sure this wouldnt work either...

We are just both playing Madden though. Didnt Arz unload JJ Arrington after last season was over? They may be getting rid of Edge... Betts would look good there competing with Hightower for starting time. Im not sure what their saftey position looks like though, LL could only help.

The only thing that may not add up is the cap ramifications... not sure how an uncapped year plays into that. I also heard Boldin is closer to restructuring after firing Rosenhous.

Zona just drafted Beanie Wells...

How would they carry him on the team if the skins do decide to keep him?? Cut Rock?

Cut both. Betts is not a change of pace, he's just a lessor Portis. Rock is all heart-No speed ,No hands and No other team wants him. He has picked up a check for too many years without doing anything. He is a good guy.

Zona just drafted Beanie Wells...

Good call, and like i said I think Boldin and ARZ are closer to redoing his contract now that he has another agent...

Im sure it would be hard to move either Betts or LL.

Something has to change in 2009. Averaging 5.9 yards per punt return? Geez, some running backs are close to 5.0 yards per carry from SCRIMMAGE.

ARE clearly has declined as a returner as his time as a regular on offense has increased. At 30, that trend is only likely to continue.

Thrash, the backup punt returner last year, is 34 years old and may not be back.

Part of me thinks it doesn't freaking matter who we put back there cause it always seems ARE catches the ball and looks up to see at least 3 guys around him unblocked. Then i remember Moss bouncing off people before running it back and think maybe ARE doesn't have that make people miss factor anymore. I would def like to see someone new catching punts this season.

I hope IF we keep one of these guys, it's Aldridge. He might be the fastest guy currently on our roster. That one video of Aldridge and Dorsey at that camp for kids was impressive - Dorsey couldn't make up five yards on him with Aldridge starting laying down - that's incredible. If neither make it, I still hope we wise up and stop using El to return punts. I think we have enough depth to throw Moss in there more often and use Hall or someone else on a more regular basis, anything over Randle El - I love him on our team but he has not done anything for us as a returner. Maybe someone other than Hall too because he will not be fresh after taking snaps on defense right beforehand. We just need someone out there other than El to get us some field position or score and I hope it's Aldridge.

Its safe to say that ANYBODY other than Randle El returning punts would be an improvement...

Not true. Champ Bailey stunk. At least ARE has the presence of mind to catch the ball nine times out of ten.

He is definitely that, but I just don't know if he contributes enough to the team to not be on the hot seat.

I love the fact that he can get the ball to the 40 in clutch situations. But when our offense stalls like we've seen it do numerous times, you need a spark. Look at the Bills special teams. They light it up when the team needs it most.

I'd like a guy that can take it to the house at any given moment and DEFINITELY score rather than a guy that puts our offense in better position to MAYBE score (usually a FG).

Not only is Rock a solid return man on KR, but he's also, unless my memory is biasing toward Rock for some reason, a danged good tackler on special teams. Rock is responsible for a lot more of the Skins' field positioning than you might think. If Thrash can get a roster spot for 9 catches a year and special teams, I think Rock stays too. Since it looks like JT might retire, I don't think Rock's going anywhere. That could be the spot he takes if the Skins want to keep another returner around, right?

Archived