Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mac vs. PC

Rdskn4Lyf21

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If you're not retarded and know what you're doing, a PC with windows gives you a lot more freedom and does pretty much everything better than a mac with the right hardware outside of maybe running a professional recording studio and editing hollywood movies, which I know should be a huge concern for the average joe, cause most people are just recording hit albums and making the next big summer movie in their own homes every day.

Linux gives even more freedom to people who know what they're doing. Vista is a huge chunk of **** though, I don't consider that "Windows" I consider that "Microsoft panicing to look pretty for dumb consumers who want something that looks like the mac OS".

Again, since no PC user addressed this earlier. Maybe you can answer it.

Your whole argument implies that PCs are for people above Retard Level and for "people who know what they're doing." So if you're a manufacturer that has a product geared towards the vast majority of people who don't know computers in depth like you claim to, why not make it more user friendly and address the concerns that PC users keep saying over and over?

It seems like it's a majority of computer gurus are pro-PC. But most people aren't computer gurus or care to spend even an extra hour of their time becoming more proficient. Macs just seem to address their market segment's needs better.

PCs tend to be over powered for what the run of the mill user's needs. Again, see popularity of netbooks.

I'm a designer/video editor that prefers using PC to mac. Pricing plays a serious role in my preference not to mention a few bad expereciences with Mac OS back in college. Several years has passed since then and i am willing to give Mac another try, but I'll have to come across a steal.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: @ a PC doing virus protection better than a Mac.

Yeah, thats right. Mac owed a tiny percentage of the market share for years and thus didn't have to deal with the virus problems of Windows. Since windows is the most widely used operating system for not just personal computers but businesses, people that have the intelligence necessary to create one of those nasty viruses aren't going to waste their time programming one to do something on an operating system nobody gives a **** about. With macintosh finally taking a slightly larger cut of the market however we're starting to see viruses appear for macintosh computers and we will only see more and more. Macintosh is prepared for this trend about as well as the Native Americans were prepared for smallpox.

Again, since no PC user addressed this earlier. Maybe you can answer it.

Your whole argument implies that PCs are for people above Retard Level and for "people who know what they're doing." So if you're a manufacturer that has a product geared towards the vast majority of people who don't know computers in depth like you claim to, why not make it more user friendly and address the concerns that PC users keep saying over and over?

Mac can address their concerns and make a computer thats nice and safe for computer-illiterate people that like looking at flashy design aspects, but at the same time for the mac users to try and push their computers as some sort of magical, superior device that is perfect in every way is laughable. Honestly a PC with Windows or Linux OS compared with the Mac OS is like comparing somebody talking on a real phone standing next to their 3 year old talking on the playskool kids phone. Sure the 3 year old likes the kids phone, it works for him, but if the 3 year old were to imply that his playskool phone is better at being a phone than the real one the statement is laughably idiotic.

Of course that statement is over-simplified, I always compared the Mac vs. PC thing to my brother's old 1972 Lincoln Continental vs. the Acura RL I used to have. The Lincoln had a huge engine, huge hood, and plenty of working space. You could really get your hands dirty and play around with/tune things on the car easily. The Acura's engine was covered by a plastic plate and everything was jammed tightly together. The makers of the car obviously didn't want you doing anything to the car yourself. The Acura worked extremely well and could be owned and maintained by somebody who knew nothing about cars. The Lincoln worked extremely well as long as you knew what you were doing, but it begged to be worked with, manipulated, and played with.

It seems like it's a majority of computer gurus are pro-PC. But most people aren't computer gurus or care to spend even an extra hour of their time becoming more proficient. Macs just seem to address their market segment's needs better.

PCs tend to be over powered for what the run of the mill user's needs. Again, see popularity of netbooks.

Yeah, again, addressing a market need is a good thing. I'm not saying macs shouldn't exist, obviously they should as people who are not computer literate like to use them. My problem with them is this: they are not better machines than a PC with Windows or Linux, the people using them are just dumber and thus need to have an OS with training wheels. Most macs out there also cost WAY too much. My dad has an iMac that cost something around 2000 dollars. I went over all the specs and my computer is better in every way but 1. I have a faster processor, more memory, a better video card, etc. and he has a nice ass monitor. I'll give apple that, I love their monitors they are very nice.

My computer cost me barely 1,000. I saved 1,000 dollars and whoa look out I can use all of the same major programs like photoshop, premiere pro, sony vegas, etc. and it works just as well, and HEY I can actually play some freaking videogames.

But should everyone need to know a ton about computers to properly use one? I don't think they should.

No, but having your market as a computer built upon restricting the degree to which an imbecile can make mistakes because they're trying to use a machine they know nothing about doesn't mean the computer is good, it means your marketing team is smart.

sturdier build? I have never had an issue with my iPod. I have had it for about 3 years now. Goes everywhere with me and I've dropped it my fair share of times as well.

Mine competes with the iPod nano. The nano isn't exactly known durability. It has a better screen, microSD bay for expandable storage, FM tuner, voice recorder, video player, and of course it plays music. As for sturdiness, it has durable hard-plastic front protecting the screen and a liquidmetal backing (stronger than titanium). Still functions perfectly for me 6 years after initial purchase. I did load a 3rd party firmware onto it to increase functionality, but its available for ipods as well.

No, but having your market as a computer built upon restricting the degree to which an imbecile can make mistakes because they're trying to use a machine they know nothing about doesn't mean the computer is good, it means your marketing team is smart.

Truth!

PCs are only going to be as smart as the person using it.

Chose PC for the obvious stuff. Software(gaming), customization, and affordability. Plus PCs dominate the business world and keep me employed!

I like the way Linux handles it. If you're messing with the system, it'll say "hey, we don't know what you're doing there and it could mess up your system. If you are sure you know what you're doing, proceed. please input super user password."

Buying a CD is much more gratifying than hearing a horrible MP3 anyway.

Well I hope you're not planning to rip it into mp3 anyways. If you really care about sound quality, buy the CD and then rip it to .ogg. Then install rockbox onto your mp3 player (it should be available for most ipods) because rockbox supports lossless formats such as ogg while most devices do not do so out of the box (don't know why because its superior to .mp3 in every way AND its non proprietary meaning no licensing fee).

Mac can address their concerns and make a computer thats nice and safe for computer-illiterate people that like looking at flashy design aspects, but at the same time for the mac users to try and push their computers as some sort of magical, superior device that is perfect in every way is laughable. Honestly a PC with Windows or Linux OS compared with the Mac OS is like comparing somebody talking on a real phone standing next to their 3 year old talking on the playskool kids phone. Sure the 3 year old likes the kids phone, it works for him, but if the 3 year old were to imply that his playskool phone is better at being a phone than the real one the statement is laughably idiotic.

Of course that statement is over-simplified, I always compared the Mac vs. PC thing to my brother's old 1972 Lincoln Continental vs. the Acura RL I used to have. The Lincoln had a huge engine, huge hood, and plenty of working space. You could really get your hands dirty and play around with/tune things on the car easily. The Acura's engine was covered by a plastic plate and everything was jammed tightly together. The makers of the car obviously didn't want you doing anything to the car yourself. The Acura worked extremely well and could be owned and maintained by somebody who knew nothing about cars. The Lincoln worked extremely well as long as you knew what you were doing, but it begged to be worked with, manipulated, and played with.

Yeah, again, addressing a market need is a good thing. I'm not saying macs shouldn't exist, obviously they should as people who are not computer literate like to use them. My problem with them is this: they are not better machines than a PC with Windows or Linux, the people using them are just dumber and thus need to have an OS with training wheels. Most macs out there also cost WAY too much. My dad has an iMac that cost something around 2000 dollars. I went over all the specs and my computer is better in every way but 1. I have a faster processor, more memory, a better video card, etc. and he has a nice ass monitor. I'll give apple that, I love their monitors they are very nice.

What? This post is exactly the type I talked about earlier. Most of this is what you think you know about the Mac OS, most of which is flawed. You're saying that people who use Macs know less about computers and Windows users? That's laughable. Just because the Mac has a more intuitive interface doesn't mean it lacks power, it just means that you don't have to know how to take advantage of the more power user features in order for the computer to work correctly.

You can log in to the Superuser of the Unix system and if you know what you're doing, go nuts. The software doesn't hold you back if you don't need it.

Even working on the hardware of your Mac isn't that hard. The iMac's are all-in-one systems, so everything it fit into a smaller space, but still you can make alterations if you know how to do that type of thing. The Laptops are a bit tougher to work with on this inside, but it can be done. The Towers are extremely easy to get inside of and make some customizations to. The RAM is all standard so the RAM that works in a PC would work in a Mac, in most cases. Same with the Hard Drives, and Optical Drives. The main drawback was the ability to swap out processors easily, which Apple didn't sell the Motorola/IBM PPC's separately. However with the switch to Intel boxes you can build a Mac for less than 800 bucks.

Edit: Oh and when did it become a drawback for a computer to not have nearly as many viruses made for it? And Apple has been prepared and continues to protect themselves from the threat of virus just about everyday. One of the reasons you don't see many viruses is because Apple keeps stepping up security, whenever they think they see something.

There is something about Mac that has an air of arrogance. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Mac and Mac users look down their noses at the lowly PC users. That grates on me.

But as for which I actually prefer, I could not say, because I have not spent significant time using a Mac!

Maybe Mac's are better, but the elitist, snooty air (or at least my perception of this attitude) will probably keep me from ever buying one.

I think the first time I opened up a PowerMac and Mac Pro to swap hard drives I laughed. I have never had an easier time switching hardware inside of a tower in my entire life.

Are you sure you weren't on a Windows machine? Because Macs are filled on the inside with Legos and Pixie Sticks. You can't do anything on them except make pretty pictures and surf the internet.

I own Windows based PC's and a MacBook.

If Apple would make OSX run on ANY platform, then most of these 'Macs are GOD' people would realize how difficult it is to make a stable OS, and start seeing their Macs have al kinds of issues. Macs are only released on their 'tested' platform, and OSX cannot just be installed onto whatever platform you want - whereas Windows can be installed on just about ANYTHING.

I like them both, but if you really want to 'grab' something and manipulate it, WINDOWS wins HANDS DOWN. Macs' absolutely suck for the technically challenged who actually have to use their machines for work. Applecare is a ****ing scam also.

Mac's are good for serious graphic designers and people who just want to surf the net and check email/facebook. PC's take it to a whole 'notha level.

I ask this to the 'Macheads' - Why won't Apple release OSX to be installed on ANY platform if it is 'superior'? Because they can't, and it would trash their marketing model of bashing Microsoft.

I think the first time I opened up a PowerMac and Mac Pro to swap hard drives I laughed. I have never had an easier time switching hardware inside of a tower in my entire life.

I want to see you say the same thing changing a Hard Drive in a Mac G4 iBook. A FREAKING nightmare to work on. I've done about 20, and absolutely hate working on them. Towers should be easy regardless, but Mac sells probably 85% laptops.

What? This post is exactly the type I talked about earlier. Most of this is what you think you know about the Mac OS, most of which is flawed. You're saying that people who use Macs know less about computers and Windows users? That's laughable. Just because the Mac has a more intuitive interface doesn't mean it lacks power, it just means that you don't have to know how to take advantage of the more power user features in order for the computer to work correctly.

You don't have to take advantage of the more power user features in order for a PC to work properly. It works properly all the time, until someone downloads or installs a bunch of crap they don't really need, sets 80 processes and applications to start when windows starts up that run in the background and eat up memory and processing power, download something they shouldn't or open an email attachment they shouldn't, get a virus or some sort of malicious software on their already slow as hell computer and shake their fists at the microsoft god in the heavens for allowing it all to happen while in reality they caused every problem they complain about.

You can log in to the Superuser of the Unix system and if you know what you're doing, go nuts. The software doesn't hold you back if you don't need it.

Which is why Linux and Unix are great operating systems.

Even working on the hardware of your Mac isn't that hard. The iMac's are all-in-one systems, so everything it fit into a smaller space, but still you can make alterations if you know how to do that type of thing. The Laptops are a bit tougher to work with on this inside, but it can be done. The Towers are extremely easy to get inside of and make some customizations to. The RAM is all standard so the RAM that works in a PC would work in a Mac, in most cases. Same with the Hard Drives, and Optical Drives. The main drawback was the ability to swap out processors easily, which Apple didn't sell the Motorola/IBM PPC's separately. However with the switch to Intel boxes you can build a Mac for less than 800 bucks.

How many people do you know of that have built their own macs? How many people would you guess build their own macs? I'll bet it's a lot less than people who have built their own PC's with Unix, Linux or Windows. Sure you can change some parts in and out of a mac, but for the most part customers will go to a mac store and pay 1,000 dollars too much to get a macintosh in the first place.

As far as use of the operating system goes, it isn't even close. I mean **** they only recently like in the past few years came up with any kind of file recovery system to match what microsoft has had since DOS.

Edit: Oh and when did it become a drawback for a computer to not have nearly as many viruses made for it? And Apple has been prepared and continues to protect themselves from the threat of virus just about everyday. One of the reasons you don't see many viruses is because Apple keeps stepping up security, whenever they think they see something.

Nobody said it was a drawback to have less viruses created for a mac, but it doesn't make it better than the PC. A PC with windows has more viruses made for it because of circumstance not because it is badly programmed and the virus protection sucks. None the less people with macs act as if it is a result of superior programming or something and it really isn't, it's a numbers game. If we woke up tomorrow and instead of PC's owning 80-90 or whatever percent of the market globally, macintosh did, you would see the mac people pooping their pants to put it plainly. It isn't a drawback to owning a macintosh any more than it is a symptom of a bad program for windows.

No. I think that makes your design/development team smart. They value usability. As someone who is in advertising, marketing ain't excrement if your product is bad.

I own Windows based PC's and a MacBook.

If Apple would make OSX run on ANY platform, then most of these 'Macs are GOD' people would realize how difficult it is to make a stable OS, and start seeing their Macs have al kinds of issues. Macs are only released on their 'tested' platform, and OSX cannot just be installed onto whatever platform you want - whereas Windows can be installed on just about ANYTHING.

I like them both, but if you really want to 'grab' something and manipulate it, WINDOWS wins HANDS DOWN. Macs' absolutely suck for the technically challenged who actually have to use their machines for work. Applecare is a ****ing scam also.

Mac's are good for serious graphic designers and people who just want to surf the net and check email/facebook. PC's take it to a whole 'notha level.

I ask this to the 'Macheads' - Why won't Apple release OSX to be installed on ANY platform if it is 'superior'? Because they can't, and it would trash their marketing model of bashing Microsoft.

That's one of the things Apple has always considered a benefit, is that the hardware is made to work hand in hand with the software. Which is what gives Apple the flexibility to do things before Windows machines. In-fact, IIRC Macs were first to have USB standard on their systems. Same with Firewire.

You can install the Mac OS onto any box you want. It's just not supported by Apple. You're on your own.

Archived