Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mac vs. PC

Rdskn4Lyf21

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

First of all, I prefer PCs...however this thread is hilarious. You have the PC side calling the Mac side "elitist" and then calling people out for not knowing C++, Python, etc. Ridiculous.

I know C++ (from what I remember from college) and what does that have to do with using a computer? It means nothing.

Also, again, I'm in the PC camp here, but if anyone truly would disregard a Mac due to the annoying commercials, then they are idiots. It's MARKETING!! Their job is to paint the competitor in the worst possible light while promoting their product. Maybe we should get out of the computer lab and take some general business courses?

So again...personally I prefer a PC but if I were to pick a side based on some of the oddball reasons others are, I'd be inclined to switch teams...

You just cannot compare them heads up and say 1 is better all the time.

Each has its strong suits as mentioned before but for about 90% of users that web, office, photos, and music suffice ... Mac wins. Easy of use and when you count the software you already get with it (ilife its almost a no-brainer).

If you need to run cutting edge software (progamming or games) then go PC. End of discussion.

Yeah. I'd agree with this.

LOL, he gives an anecdote about how in his particular situation his MAC has never crashed and it deserves a clap?

:doh:

And they are not faster, IBM's etc.'s top of the line computers would blast away Macs.

It is so easy to keep a PC from crashing it's just people are stupid.

(And yes, Mac's ARE PC's, personal computers).

"EDIT: PCs are less expensive, so that's another thing they have going for them. But really, it is a case of getting what you pay for. I've gone through three PCs in the same time I've owned one Mac and had more problems with the PCs, not to mention all the downtime I have with my PCs cleaning them and sending them out for maintenance. So in the end I don't know if you're saving that much money."

This is what I was applauding him for—that you don't really save that much with a PC because you end up spending money on maintenance and the cost of down time.

People ARE stupid. So what does it say about a manufacturer that markets to MOST people and you need more than common sense knowledge or familiarity with computers to keep it from crashing? What if it were a car and it stalled or broke down all the time and you needed to be a gear head to make it usable? You'd say that brand of car was a POS.

To me, that's poor planning and design on their part.

Right before I bought my IMAC,I talked with my brother. He's one of those Matrix like programmers. Looks at most web pages and see's code. :geek: :silly: He said that at that time,there really wasn't much of a difference in the two systems,(he's as proficient as they come in using both). They had become somewhat intertwined with all the available software. He said it came down to personal preference and that he would lean more towards an Imac because in the long run,it would be cost effective and that Mac tended to be a bit more user friendly. Of course,he said that opinions were like *******s too. :silly:

Sounding an awful lot like one of those elitists that you accuse others of being. How about stepping this down a notch or 5. Once,just once,I would like to click on one of these threads and not see it go down hill courtesy of a couple of members who can't show a little tolerance and restraint,(among other things).

Oh. And I don't drink latte's either. :)

Woah. He challenged my computer abilities so I defended myself. I jokingly said (with a silly face) that people over 40 can't figure out computers and he took it seriously (I think).

And I am pointing out than an anecdote doesn't prove anything. I have had zero issues with m y PC the last 4 years but that doesn't mean they never have issues. That's just plain wrong. I'm not being elitist.

"EDIT: PCs are less expensive, so that's another thing they have going for them. But really, it is a case of getting what you pay for. I've gone through three PCs in the same time I've owned one Mac and had more problems with the PCs, not to mention all the downtime I have with my PCs cleaning them and sending them out for maintenance. So in the end I don't know if you're saving that much money."

This is what I was applauding him for—that you don't really save that much with a PC because you end up spending money on maintenance and the cost of down time.

People ARE stupid. So what does it say about a manufacturer that markets to MOST people and you need more than common sense knowledge or familiarity with computers to keep it from crashing? What if it were a car and it stalled or broke down all the time and you needed to be a gear head to make it usable? You'd say that brand of car was a POS.

To me, that's poor planning and design on their part.

This is true and I think this is Gate's ultimate goal, is to have an operating system that is 100% integrated and easy to use. He's come a long way from MS-DOS.

Says the C++ programmer.

I've already said if you're someone who can break the thing down a PC is better. For the rest of us, not so much.

LOL, I don't actually know C++ or Java or Python. The most I can do is make things bold and itallic in HTML! :laugh:

But it is still easy to protect your computer from viruses/malware. I think Microsoft should get a partnership with a top provider like Malwarebytes and have it come standard with Windows.

PCs are better. Ever since elementary school and the mice that had only one button so I couldn't right-click....I was totally turned off forever.

Yeah, I know you can get Mac mice with two buttons nowadays, but they killed it back then.

PCs are better. Ever since elementary school and the mice that had only one button so I couldn't right-click....I was totally turned off forever.

Yeah, I know you can get Mac mice with two buttons nowadays, but they killed it back then.

I have a two-button mouse. :)

And if you don't have one shift-click does the same thing as right-click.

But I agree Mac should just suck it up and stop with the one-button mice already. They are annoying as hell.

I have a two-button mouse. :)

And if you don't have one shift-click does the same thing as right-click.

But I agree Mac should just suck it up and stop with the one-button mice already. They are annoying as hell.

dude...having to touch an extra button on my keyboard defeats the purpose of a mouse

PC wins

Son, I majored in CMSC at Maryland.

What else you got?

I'm a paladin with 18 charisma and 97 hit points. I can use my helm of disintegration as my half elf mage wields his +5 holy avengance.

**Oh sorry, that was my Warcraft self talking**.

LOL, did you read my post earlier, I can't actually do any of that stuff. :silly:

You beat me.

But you do know my original post was in a joking manner right? I put a smily face next to it.

I prefer PCs because of the wider variety of software available for it. I do many different things with PCs and often find myself searching for random software.

I'm a life long PC guy. I buy a new computer every few years and usually go bleeding edge in order to get one I can keep for a few years. The last few PC's I've purchased on the bleeding edge have all been buggy. DELL, Compact, Gateway, or IBM; the major venders don't do leading or bleeding edge, rather they only supply technology which has been out for a year to more. So I was forced to go with custom boutique systems. Alienware and such.

Anyway, Last time I researched a computer. The Mac was on the bleeding edge. their hardware was top notch, and the quality was seemless. It was pricey, but I got a MAC and I just installed a boot version of windows on it..

Today I use both OS's. It's supprising to me how much time I spend in the MAC os and how stable it is. Even when running Windows applications.

When I stumble upon deep debate over PC vs. Mac and post my opinion that PC's software compatibility keeps it as the best option, I really feel the need to re-evaluate things for myself.

Just out of curiosity, what types of software do you use? I'm on a mac and I haven't really found myself limited by software options.

Well, I think the real question comes down to what do you need your computer for? If all you need it for is basic stuff and maybe a video game or two, go PC. You could go Mac if you wanted to not have to worry about buying (or just downloading) virus software and not having to worry about doing periodic updates for it. But a Mac would be more expensive.

I started using Macs right after high school and I haven't touched a PC since. The way hardware integrates with OS X is awesome. I don't have to download a stupid camera driver to get my photos on my computer. I don't need to download a print driver to get my printer to work with my computer. No need to download a driver for a third party mouse (Because the mighty mouse sucks). Macs just work.

The biggest advantage that a Windows box has over a Mac is the selection. There is a limited selection of Mac hardware in comparison. But on the other hand, there are also a ton of horrible companies that make bad PC's, so you need to weed out the bad ones.

With computers you get what you pay for.

Archived