Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mac vs. PC

Rdskn4Lyf21

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Recently I found that Apple had upgraded some minor specs on their Macbook and getting one customized plus a student discount wouldn't cost a ridiculous amount (to the point it had in the past).

All computers I've ever owned in my life have been PCs but I've always wanted a Mac. The price range has always been to high but is getting to a point where it may not be out of the question. I've had too many issues with PCs to count and have grown to hate them and I feel like it's time for a change.

What do you have - a Mac or PC? What do you prefer? Any things you love about either?

*The poll reflects what you prefer, not currently have.

I was a life long PC guy, but after the debut of OS10, I have been on a Mac.

No malware, spyware, etc. And very stable. No blue screen of death for me.

More money?, yes. Worth it, yes. Don't forget used. I am using an old iBook for surfing the webz and it cost $100 bucks.:D

It depends on what you want to do with it.

IF you're using it for low ball personal use, than I'd go with a MAC just because it won't give you a lot of problems. I hate MACs to tell you the truth but if you're not going to run MATLab or something like that than I'd take a MAC.

But, PCs are better. You can also wait for the Quantum PC...;)

PC's

1) Much more software compatible

2) You can choose what brand of PC you want to run with Windows

3) 99.9% of people who own a Mac are elitist and I hate Apple

4) It is not hard to keep a PC clean it's just dumb kids and everyone over the age of 40 can't figure out how to use a computer...:silly:

I've had this computer 4 years, not a single problem. It is firewalled, spyware/virus protected and is defragmented every so often.

have you ever seen an apple store?

that alone is enough to make me never buy one of those things

plus all i've ever had was a PC, and have never had any major problems with it. i've seen all my mac using friends computers go kaput at some point or another. one of my friend's macbook recently died completely after less than 2 years of use brand new out of the box, that's ridiculous.

I'll just be doing the basics on it and using it for video/photo/audio editing as well.....

PC's

1) Much more software compatible

2) You can choose what brand of PC you want to run with Windows

3) 99.9% of people who own a Mac are elitist and I hate Apple

4) It is not hard to keep a PC clean it's just dumb kids and everyone over the age of 40 can't figure out how to use a computer...:silly:

I've had this computer 4 years, not a single problem. It is firewalled, spyware/virus protected and is defragmented every so often.

1. Okay

2. Eh, big deal.

3. You are sounding like a PC elitist :silly:

4. I call :bsflag: .... and stop playing the age card ;)

have you ever seen an apple store?

that alone is enough to make me never buy one of those things

Apple stores are AWESOME.

I've always used a PC. Never have had any real problems with my computer. The recent problem I had was more with HP than with Microsoft. There is nothing a Mac can do that my PC can't and I didn't have to pay over $1k to get it. I have Vista on mine and have never had any problems either. People say Macs can't get viruses but they are wrong. Macs can get viruses but people don't care enough to make viruses for them since more people use PCs. And like Sticksboi said, its not hard to keep your PC protected. There are plenty of good free virus protectors that you can dl.

I'll just be doing the basics on it and using it for video/photo/audio editing as well.....

1. Okay

2. Eh, big deal.

Apple sucks. Their CEO is selfish and greedy. Honestly their stuff is more of a fad than anything with those absurdly annoying commercials. How can you like Jobs more when Gates gives away billions of dollars a year tocharity/AIDS support in Africa and Jobs CANCELED Apple's charity foundations in the 1980's?

I've always used a PC. Never have had any real problems with my computer. The recent problem I had was more with HP than with Microsoft. There is nothing a Mac can do that my PC can't and I didn't have to pay over $1k to get it. I have Vista on mine and have never had any problems either. People say Macs can't get viruses but they are wrong. Macs can get viruses but people don't care enough to make viruses for them since more people use PCs. And like Sticksboi said, its not hard to keep your PC protected. There are plenty of good free virus protectors that you can dl.

Or ones you have to pay for but don't.....:shutup:

1. Okay

2. Eh, big deal.

But you haven't really specified what you will use the computer for, He's not wrong, most people that don't like PCs just don't understand how to prevent attacks.

It all depends on what you want to do with the computer. Could you tell us

Although Apple stores have been seen with copies of Sims 3 CAS (Create a Sim) demos, those are stores I don't really want to go to. Them and Starbucks. Both overpriced crap ;)

PC wins because PC's are cheaper and PC's run games without the assistance of BootCamp or whatever MAC uses.

If all you use your computer for is surfing the internet and listening to music, why spend $500+ for a Mac when a PC can do those same things? My gf bought a Mac about a year ago and that's all she does with it. I make fun of her all the time when she can't use programs that I can.

I've used and owned both for over ten years, and I'd take a Mac every day of the week and twice on Sundays. There are only two big reasons to go PC:

1. There's more software available for it and

2. If you like messing around with the guts of a PC you can do more with it

Macs are faster, cleaner, never crash, never get viruses and almost never need any maintenance of any kind. What cracks me up are PC people who act like that's a bad thing. :)

EDIT: PCs are less expensive, so that's another thing they have going for them. But really, it is a case of getting what you pay for. I've gone through three PCs in the same time I've owned one Mac and had more problems with the PCs, not to mention all the downtime I have with my PCs cleaning them and sending them out for maintenance. So in the end I don't know if you're saving that much money.

Apple sucks. Their CEO is selfish and greedy. Honestly their stuff is more of a fad than anything with those absurdly annoying commercials. How can you like Jobs more when Gates gives away billions of dollars a year tocharity/AIDS support in Africa and Jobs CANCELED Apple's charity foundations in the 1980's?

Here's an article you'd like: http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/2006/01/70072

:)

Also, I hate fad stuff which might be why I've never gone deeper into my pockets and gotten a Mac. That stuff really shouldn't be a concern though, and I absolutely love iPhones.

But you haven't really specified what you will use the computer for, He's not wrong, most people that don't like PCs just don't understand how to prevent attacks.

It all depends on what you want to do with the computer. Could you tell us

I agree that a lot of people don't know how to prevent attacks but there always seems to be crashing and glitches with every version of Windows that I get stuck dealing with.

I posted it earlier: basic computer use with audio/photo/video editing.

hey if not being able to move around at all is your thing then yeah you're right. all i know is the apple store right near where i used to work was flooded all day, every day. and all i'd ever see all day was people dragging their broke ass computers to and from that store.

and i don't get this whole 'never crash' thing because one of my friends has gone through two macs in the passed uhh like 4 years. one of which like i said earlier didn't even last 2 years having been bought brand new. i've also known a bunch of other people that have tons of problems with crashing.

Mac because I like my computers to function and work. PC if I want to fight it all day just to have the latest games.

Look at what you primarily use your computer for. If it's web, office, audio/visual go Mac. If you do a lot of gaming or programming PC is probably better for you.

I found people say they need a lot out of a computer but when it comes down to it ... its usually internet, word, and music.

I do custom A/V work along with Home Automation, which ends up including a lot of computer work, so I use both to keep myself sharp on them. I have a Dell Laptop and a MacBook Pro laptop and a couple of desktops. They're both good depending on what you're using for. A couple of things:

- As most Mac people would have you believe, Macs are susceptible to some viruses, spyware, etc they are just less susceptible, but I do love my MacBook way above the pcs in this area. For example, if you have a suspect usb card or something, you can plug it into the mac and check it out.

- Per their specs, Macs are a bad value. You can't get any sort of near the same specs in the same price range as a comparable pc. Warranty, spare parts, etc. from Apple are straight out highway robbery - seriously, you get like 30 days of phone support with a $2K laptop. That is utter BS, and typical Apple crap.

- If you're using them for business applications (spreadsheets, etc.) it can be incredibly annoying to be on a mac sometimes, often stuff just isn't as accessible or easy to perform. I way prefer Excel and stuff on a PC vs. Excel or Numbers on the Mac.

- For general working with web apps, surfing the web, playing with pics, I'll take the mac any day of the week. It boots up easy, shuts down easy, runs efficiently and has LESS concern about viruses. The multi-touch trackpad and all that is great. Except for more in-depth business stuff, I can work faster on a Mac.

- The Mac is nice because now you can run any OS on it. I have Vista in Bootcamp, and XP in Parallels for stuff like OneNote (hands down, the best piece of software ever released by Microsoft. It's so under-marketed, but OneNote is ridiculous)

- Apple is just as susceptible to bugs as Microsoft and have plenty of them. Despite their marketing, and what their users will tell you, you still run into hard crashes "An application has caused a problem and you're computer must be shut down to avoid damage" messages.... Annoyingly though, Apple often refuses to acknowledge them, so they are much harder to handle when you do run into them since there isn't nearly as much documentation.

All in all, I'd really say it's a push depending on what you're using them for and what your preferences are.

I've been using both for the past few years. I was a big PC person b/c I believed a lot of the same things on here that most pro PC people are. However once I picked up a Mac I haven't been able to put it down. Now don't get me wrong, I still like and use my PC on a daily basis, but if I could choose one I'd have to go with my Apple. Sure Apple costs more in general, but you get what you pay for. Their machines feel more solid and you can tell that time and effort were put into designing and building them.

When making the decision it's up to you. I wouldn't rely on other peoples personal opinions. Go and get some hands on use with everything you're considering and make your decision off of that.

I agree that a lot of people don't know how to prevent attacks but there always seems to be crashing and glitches with every version of Windows that I get stuck dealing with.

I posted it earlier: basic computer use with audio/photo/video editing.

Than get a MAC, they are perfect for what you want. Just don't play Doom 4 on it when it comes out. But MACs are very reliable and you should buy a MAC

Macs get no points in my book for their "elitist" ads on TV. Bunch of lies in those ads.

Like the PC guy who is coughing because he has some virus and the MAC guy is like "Oh yeah I don't have a virus hahahaha". As Stick said if you're smart you can keep the virii off the computer. I don't remember any other Mac VS PC commercials but those are the worst, and perpetrate negative stereotypes about PC's. PC's are vulnerable to virii. PC's are ineffective. PC's get BSOD's. ETC ETC ETC

Archived