Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DB: Should Obama Honor Dixie?

JMS

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-05-21/should-obama-honor-dixie/?cid=hp:mainpromo3

Not even Memorial Day will be controversy-free for the president. Judy Pasternak uncovers a growing movement determined to end annual wreath-laying upon Confederate war dead.

Even the upcoming holiday weekend offers a minefield for Barack Obama: The White House sends wreaths to Arlington National Cemetery every year, but more than 60 academics, including the celebrated Civil War historian James McPherson, have urged the nation’s first black president to leave out one particular monument this time: the Confederate Memorial.

“I don’t think it appropriate for a president to send a wreath honoring a group that tried to break up the United States.”

McPherson, a professor at Princeton University, is the author of the classic Civil War history Battle Cry of Freedom. He told me in an email this week that he signed the petition, sent to the White House last week, because “I don’t think it appropriate for a president to send a wreath honoring a group that tried to break up the United States—especially a president who sees himself in many ways as an heir to Abraham Lincoln.”

Looks to me like a way to alienate a good percentage of the population. Reminds me of a story. After WWII Eisenhower purchased a home in Gettysburg Pensylvania just off the Battlefield. It's where the Eisenhower Museam is located today just to the side of the field where Picket's Charge occurred.. Anyway, he invited Feild Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery (Monty) to tour the battlefield with him in the 1950's when he was President.

Montgomery takes a look at the field over which General Picket was ordered by General Lee to cross and engage the Union troops.. ( Pickets Charge )... It's about a mile and a half of beutiful open fields, the confederate troops crossed under blistering fire from the Union, walking most of the way cause it was too long to run. The point where Picket penetrated the Union lines for a short time, before he was forced to retreat, is called the high water mark for the Confederacy because from that point forward, the Confederacy never went on the offensive in union territory again in the war, although the war went on for two more years.

Anyway Monty looks at the field and hears the story of General Pickets charge, and proclaims Lee ( who ordered the charge ), was insane, incompetent, and criminal. The press turns to Eisenhower and asks his opinion. Eisenhower turns all red in the face. He knows as President there is no way to answer the question without upsetting half the country. He never invites Montgomery back for another visit.

I love McPherson's book and I think he's a brilliant historian, and I'm CERTAINLY no Southern Apologist, but I think Lincoln would lay that wreath down, and Obama should too.

I have a house down in Arkansas. Down there they don't call the war the Civil War, they call it the War of Northern Agression. No joke. They also don't call Richmond Virginia the capital of the Confederacy. They teach in their schools that Montgomery Alabama was the capital of the Confederacy.

I mention it just to say to many folks who defend the south, they don't believe the war was about slavery. They're wrong of coarse, but it's what they believe.

I mention it just to say to many folks who defend the south, they don't believe the war was about slavery. They're wrong of coarse, but it's what they believe.

Heh. Spend a few years on this board and you know that. :)

It is slightly complicated, until you realize that everyone who fought in that war was American and were fighting for their views of independence and freedom. I realize that slavery was a major aspect, but to lay all that blame on the Confederacy is hypocritical when you honor the Founding Fathers and the Revolution.

It is slightly complicated, until you realize that everyone who fought in that war was American and were fighting for their views of independence and freedom. I realize that slavery was a major aspect, but to lay all that blame on the Confederacy is hypocritical when you honor the Founding Fathers and the Revolution.

Most of the people who lived in the South did not own slaves. Also most of the soldiers who fought for the south did not own slaves.

I agree though slavery was the major factor in the war.

I love McPherson's book and I think he's a brilliant historian, and I'm CERTAINLY no Southern Apologist, but I think Lincoln would lay that wreath down, and Obama should too.

Yep,Lincoln saw the wisdom of not promoting enmity.

Issue some release expressing any counter sentiments or justification.

States were still States,even if not United in purpose at the time.

JMS, just who invaded who?;)

We can go on forever on different causes of the war,and who /what divided us without accomplishing much...Let us simply agree slavery was a abomination,and honor those that died under our united States colors throughout time.

I have a house down in Arkansas. Down there they don't call the war the Civil War, they call it the War of Northern Agression. No joke. They also don't call Richmond Virginia the capital of the Confederacy. They teach in their schools that Montgomery Alabama was the capital of the Confederacy.

So if the most of the vast majority of people who fought for the south didn't own slaves then the idea that the Civil War was fought over slavery doesn't make sense...

So if the most of the vast majority of people who fought for the south didn't own slaves then the idea that the Civil War was fought over slavery doesn't make sense...

So Henry, do you want to take this one? :)

On the side issue you brought up, why did R.E. Lee, an otherwise remarkable battle tactician and strategist, order such a doomed charge? It just didn't make sense. Longstreet, who commanded Pickett, tried desperately to talk Lee out of it. A confederate colonel quoted Longstreet as saying "General, I have been a soldier all my life. I have been with soldiers engaged in fights by couples, by squads, companies, regiments, divisions, and armies, and should know as well as any one, what soldiers can do. It is my opinion that no fifteen thousand men ever arrayed for battle can take that position."

To no avail. Lee order Pickett's troops to make the charge, and they were slaughtered.

...an odd mystery of the Civil War...

Lee had been sick, plus the army was riding high off of many nearly improbable successes. I think it was possibly a lack of over confidence with a touch of failing health. At least that's my opinion from what I've read over the years. It is unfortunate that he is remembered for that by many folks as opposed to the great man and tactician he was.

Losing Jackson a couple months before didn't really help the situation, either.

Considering Lincoln didnt originally intend to free the slaves and it became an add on for political reasons makes that idea not make sense either. It was a combination of factors that lead to the war and slavery was a part of it but not the biggest issue.

I think the most honest cause for the Civil War was based on the move toward Federalism.

You ought to read the Articles of Secession, written by the folks who seceeded, then rethink your position.

Enough with the revisionist history. It's maddening. Yes, the Civil War was about slavery, end of subject.

Considering Lincoln didnt originally intend to free the slaves and it became an add on for political reasons makes that idea not make sense either. It was a combination of factors that lead to the war and slavery was a part of it but not the biggest issue.

Yes, I agree that slavery was used as a justification for the war.

You ought to read the Articles of Secession, written by the folks who seceeded, then rethink your position.

Enough with the revisionist history. It's maddening. Yes, the Civil War was about slavery, end of subject.

When the economy and property rights(under the Constitution) were threatened by a concerted effort what do you expect?

Slavery is inexorably tied into the equation,but claiming it as the cause w/o addressing the efforts that were illegal and unjust under the law is ignoring the reality of the time.

It certainly was a result of the existence of slavery

Reducing a complicated issue is not that simple....and I think you know it.

Archived