Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"How Bruce Lee Change the World" on History Channel

SkinzFoLife

In a way, Bruce Lee was the Father of MMA.

In his book, he said something to the effect that if someone were to train in western boxing and wrestling for a year, that they could defeat most Martial Artists who have trained all their lives. In todays MMA, wrestling is probably the strongest base to have along with striking skills such as boxing or muay thai.

The man was decades ahead of his time.

Yep, you pretty much have to be a beast to drink that ****tail every day.

The footage of the one inch punch was really cool, I don't understand how one can knock someone on their can with a punch from only a inch away.

it's crazy stuff. i study wing chun which influenced a lot of bruce's fighting skills prior to his development of JKD... the one inch punch is really all about body alignment and knowing how to strike...using the tricep, snapping the wrist, cultivating the energy to your fist. cool stuff, can't wait to see this special.

This is a great special. Glad I have the chance to see it. Bruce's philosophy on incorporating weight lifting in to his training regimen influenced me and still does to this day. It flew in the face of many standard beliefs held at the time,(and actually for quite some time afterwards ). It would cause reduction of speed,flexibility,ect. His philosophy of fighting was one that I adopted as well. His philosophies of self help go without saying. This is fun to watch.

Edit: Oh. After over 3 decades of watching this man,it still amazes me how fast he was.

In a way, Bruce Lee was the Father of MMA.

In his book, he said something to the effect that if someone were to train in western boxing and wrestling for a year, that they could defeat most Martial Artists who have trained all their lives. In todays MMA, wrestling is probably the strongest base to have along with striking skills such as boxing or muay thai.

The man was decades ahead of his time.

Agreed. The reason he is considered by many to be the father of MMA is because he soaked in as many effective styles as he could. He 'mixed' his martial arts knowledge so much. He crash coursed in jiu jitsu, trained boxing with Muhammad Ali, and applied footwork techniques from fencing to his fighting style. Just a footnote of how dedicated he was to becoming the best human weapon he could be.

The think the main difference in Bruce Lee's Martial Art and MMA and perhaps Judo, TKD, or Jiu Jitsu, is that Bruce Lee never trained for Competition, all his theories in fighting were not for sport but for real life situations. MMA for the most part is a Sport, since in real fighting, you bite, eye gouge and strike to the groin, which Bruce Lee preached. Theres no such thing as a "fair" street fight.

Jeet Kune Do teaches that thhe most effective strike is the quickest strike to the nearest organ that will inflict the most damage.

Archived