Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WBAL: Redskins win naming battle(Merged)

MattFancy

Sooner or Later all Native American team names will have to be done away with, but no judge would be stupid enough to set the precedent in todays current economy. Alot of money and even jobs stand to be lost if and when this crap finally goes down. Because if you change one you have to change them all. That means alot of wasted merchandise and alot of new merchandise having to be made which will cost money, money that can't be easily afforded right now. I love my Redskins and hope the name is always the Redskins.

Best story I have about this, was a year or so ago I was at a party and a guy and I were talking football, he mentioned he was a giants fans and I naturally scoffed (he was pretty drunk at this point) and he asked who I rooted for. I of course proudly stated the Redskins, and he immediately started screaming at me at the top of his lungs until his face turned red

PG COUNTY, RACIAL SLURS. PG COUNTY, RACIAL SLURS. PG COUNTY, RACIAL SLURS.

I was laughing almost to the point of tears, he was so serious.

Very good point.

However, what infuriates me is the fact that so many people don't even know the history of the how the team came to be called "Redskins." If people would actually look at the history behind the name, they would see that the name, logo, etc. all have been presented and pushed forward by Native Americans and for the honor of Native Americans.

The funny thing is that there are many people who are not offended at all until some White, Left-wing PC nut comes along and tells them they should be. Then, all of a sudden they are. That is not be offended;that is being a weak-minded puppet to someone else's political agenda.

George Preston Marshall, owner and founder of the franchise, sought to rename the Boston Braves after leaving the stadium they shared with the baseball team of the same name. He chose the name Redskins in honor of Dietz, who claimed to be part Sioux.

Some Native Americans have no issue with it.

Tachi-Yokut tribe who deemed the fact that schools had Redskin as a mascot incited a sense of pride.

As people said earlier...

A. A team generally picks a nickname it's proud of, not something to mock

B. "Redskin" doesn't refer to a native American's skin tone, but rather the practice of NE tribes to crush berries and paint their faces as ritual for battle.

There are even many Native Americans who support the use of names such as Redskins, Indians, Chiefs, etc. How many people have to have their feelings "hurt" to justify changing one of the proudest traditions in professional sports? I don't think it would be the same if my NFL team was the Washington Americans, but I'm sure it will probably come to that in my lifetime :(

The key word in my post is "inherently" ... no amount of justification suffices to overcome this apsect. Even if one native american is insulted by the epithet it should be removed. Why do you think this great nation fought and won Word War II?

When I first started watching NFL in the UK in the 1980s i like many Brit NFL fans had to carefully choose a team to follow. One of the first games I saw was the Skins v cowboys in about 1988. I chose the Skins because I saw the name as a sign of a minority that should be respected.

Until I read of a similar case a few years ago and an old fella at the Baltimore sports museun last told me it was racist, I had no idea people felt likr

I felt and feel the franchise chose that name as a mark of respect and still feel the same way

IMO the term "redskins" inherently is stereotypical and degrading especially when used together with a mascot depicting a person of that color. With so many innocuous designations available why continue using one that is even arguably inflammatory. If I were African American I would recoil at being called a "blackskin." The name continues to be an embarassment ... it should be changed sooner rather than later.

If you don't like the name the team has,then switch teams.We don't need people crying about it and say we are embarrasing.

The key word in my post is "inherently" ... no amount of justification suffices to overcome this apsect. Even if one native american is insulted by the epithet it should be removed. Why do you think this great nation fought and won Word War II?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Hey, I love everything about the Washington Redskins, but if there are Native Americans who find the term racially offensive then why couldn't we be kind enough to change it? As a part if this fanbase, I know for a fact that it would take more than a name change to shake us.

I also, however, agree 100% that this is a privately owned franchise and they have to right to name it what they want. No one is putting a gun to our head and forcing us to root for them. If you don't like the name, don't support the team.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Hey, I love everything about the Washington Redskins, but if there are Native Americans who find the term racially offensive then why couldn't we be kind enough to change it? As a part if this fanbase, I know for a fact that it would take more than a name change to shake us.

I also, however, agree 100% that this is a privately owned franchise and they have to right to name it what they want. No one is putting a gun to our head and forcing us to root for them. If you don't like the name, don't support the team.

Kudos Bantu for your courageous viewpoint ... I see no reason why a fan cannot still remain a fan although they don't like the name.

This line said it all

Raskopf said it's all too late. "The time when the case could have been brought was 1967," he said. "So it's not going to get any easier for anybody to bring the case now."

Seriously, just give it a rest.

I got that quote from this article about it, which i think was also posted here

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4169336

it's a little more in depth than the article above

A comment from a user on that website:

Burghy77 (5/15/2009 at 8:19 PM)

Report Violation

I dont think the Redskins should lose their trademark protection... but if I were them I would change the name... its an unneccessary problem... heck they could probably sell a ton of merchandise with a switch, and its not like its unheard of, the Bullets became the Wizards and it didnt negatively impact the team.... I actually like the Heroes idea, not only for 9/11 but for all the armed services personel, would be cool, and they could still keep the same colors... heck hail to the heroes... doesnt even sound bad.

----------------------------

Hail To The Heroes???

Even my 2.5 years old daughter says Redskins!!! every time I open the ES website. For this reason alone the Redskins name shall not be changed or should be changed. Hail! :point2sky

"do you see this fine thing, do you admire the humanity of it?... the man from whom this hair came, he's bald on the other side because I now own his scalp... that is the way things are" Remember December 29, 1890, but don't believe everything is dead. Besides, what would you rather be... a Redskin or a Cowturd? HAIL! :logo:

IMO the term "redskins" inherently is stereotypical and degrading especially when used together with a mascot depicting a person of that color.

Pop quiz time. :)

Do you know the history behind the logo?

In any case, when did anyone name their team the Washington Big Fat Hairy Losers? Not only has the word's meaning lost its racial context in the last 100 years, the intent was never to defame or stereotype anyone. team names are celebratory and held up as something very positive rather than derogatory.

Exactly!!! I have argued that for years. The logo and the name is a proud one.

There is no derogatory intent or meaning. Just look at all the fans that see themselves as a "Redskin". We wear it with honor.

For those misinformed fans who choose to believe the facts instead of lies, distortions, and myth about the Redskins name, I encourage you to read the following items. If you are a real Redskins fan, you will learn the truth about the use of the term "redskins" and how Native Americans truly feel about the "Redskins" name, and be proud of your team's heritage. "Redskins" honors the American Indian/Native Americans; it is not a racial slur:

http://anthropology.si.edu/goddard/redskin.pdf

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/Downloads/Political_Communication/naes/2004_03_redskins_09-24_pr.pdf

http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2006/04/24/news/news23.txt

That's real logical. If I am offended by you, should you be removed because I don't like you? I think a lot of people would be going to death row under your criteria.

One person gets to tell the other 325 million what to do. What country do you live in??:insane:

Very good point.

However, what infuriates me is the fact that so many people don't even know the history of the how the team came to be called "Redskins." If people would actually look at the history behind the name, they would see that the name, logo, etc. all have been presented and pushed forward by Native Americans and for the honor of Native Americans.

The funny thing is that there are many people who are not offended at all until some White, Left-wing PC nut comes along and tells them they should be. Then, all of a sudden they are. That is not be offended;that is being a weak-minded puppet to someone else's political agenda.

A-Men! Too much PC

honestly this is nothing new. they have been protesting this ever since i can remember. they protest the braves chop, the aztecs mascot.

pretty much anything they find offensive.

EXACTLY, and if we didnt pay ANY homage to their heritage, we'd (society) be racist too..... Cant win :doh::doh:

Some real ignorance in here, doesn't surprise me though. Because you love your sports team soooo much lol How many in here replying those native americans are overly sensitive, etc. have actually suffered or been oppressed by racism for the color of their skin in their lives?

Don't begin to tell people how they should feel, or if they should or shouldn't be offended if you aren't that people/race/group.

I agree that the name is being used in a positive light of reverence, and if the history holds true and it just isn't a convenient way to wiggle out of it(specific tribe red berries/warpaint) yet as gregpeck said if it offends one person of that race that is enough. We aren't speaking of some general offense here.

I love the colors, and most of the history and have rooted for this team for years, yet I'd have no problem if the name were changed so long as the colors remained.

Man some of the comments here, that "those people will never be happy types" You just don't get it. Trust me you don't.

aweeee first they were mad because they never got to be on TV, now they are mad because of the way they are being depicted on TV, "you just can't win with those people." lol

reading much of this is incredibly sad, as far as things have come...plenty have given their lives, efforts etc. and much has changed but still such a long way to go, and I doubt it will ever really be where it needs to be and should be.

I always thought the name was from them originally being the BOSTON Redskins, and the Boston Tea Party, you know, when the colonials dressed up like native americans and dumped the tea in the water? I forgot where I heard that but it made a lot of sense. I guess not.

Archived