Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WBAL: Redskins win naming battle(Merged)

MattFancy

I must say, if you feel so strongly about how much the Native American has been wronged, why don't you do something worth while about it? You like putting out opinion pieces to backup your claims, yet they are only one (white) mans opinion.

In some ways, it is almost insulting that you feel the need to help out us "downtrodden" Natives since we obviously can't do it ourselves. Despite hearing that most of us don't really care one way or another, or tend to have a more positive look at it, you still have your crusade. Why don't you turn that energy into something useful?

A word has whatever power you give it. It wouldn't be hard at all to make sure those referenced by the term Redskin were glorified. That's the point of it being a mascot, no? And if that were the social connotation, if by Redskin you were referring to the brave and noble Natives, would that not be a more positive thing, instead of trying to make it so negative that everybody gets up in arms about it?

The Native population doesn't care about the name, barring a small vocal minority. Having relatives on the tribal council, I know for a fact they have a hell of a lot bigger problems to worry about then something this trivial. You should do some research on those problems instead, and actually help the Natives get out of the pit they are currently in, instead of fighting for a name change of a sports team that would have no positive impact on the Native American population.

Say you get your way. Lets say every reference to Native Americans are struck from the records of sports mascots. Please, instead of continually posting your propaganda and opinions, post how that action is going to help the Natives. Do something useful.

Nice speech to bad you said nothing worth while.For one Rockey you have no idea what I've done and for who,2) the opinions I've put out there are opinions ...I didn't ask what color the people were,some were white ,black ....and Native American.Funny thing is the way you answer the posts...people have a very hard time believing you're a Native American."A word is what ever power you give it", please ....the ignorance of this statment is pretty funny.I didn't give the word the meaning...that was done by generations way before me and you...again something a real NA would understand.

I like how you try to put words in my statments that I have never said or written,"So if I get my way"....which is what,what is my way,find were I said NA shoud be stuck from anything.Your the one with the propaganda,I have backed any and all my claims with links ...something you sir have not done.

Nice speech to bad you said nothing worth while.For one Rockey you have no idea what I've done and for who,2) the opinions I've put out there are opinions ...I didn't ask what color the people were,some were white ,black ....and Native American.Funny thing is the way you answer the posts...people have a very hard time believing you're a Native American."A word is what ever power you give it", please ....the ignorance of this statment is pretty funny.I didn't give the word the meaning...that was done by generations way before me and you...again something a real NA would understand.

I like how you try to put words in my statments that I have never said or written,"So if I get my way"....which is what,what is my way,find were I said NA shoud be stuck from anything.Your the one with the propaganda,I have backed any and all my claims with links ...something you sir have not done.

No offense, but I think I'm just going to have to ignore you from this point on if that is your level of discourse. "Something a real NA would understand" indeed....you have multiple times shot out that others are ignorant, but every time you have done so it is in a way that is showing your ignorance.

You didn't refute a single thing I said in any real manner. You ask me to refute an opinion, backed up by links to others who share an opinion; something hardly indicative of a well thought-out point. You then attempted to attack me instead of the issue. That, sir, is what people do when they have lost the argument.

Thank you for your time.

• 5 months later...

F-the PCminions and stupidity in this thread.

Judge temporarily blocks university from switching from Fighting Sioux

BISMARCK, N.D. - A judge has temporarily blocked higher education officials from changing the University of North Dakota’s Fighting Sioux nickname.

The president of North Dakota’s Board of Higher Education, Richie Smith, said Tuesday that the order could delay the university’s efforts to join the Summit League and re-establish its football rivalry with North Dakota State University.

Smith says he’ll talk with the state attorney general about challenging the order, which was issued Monday.

Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The dispute has its origins in the NCAA’s August 2005 declaration that the Fighting Sioux nickname and Indian head logo should be abolished.

The judge’s ruling came after a lawsuit was filed by eight Spirit Lake Sioux tribal members who support the nickname.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33845525/ns/sports-college_football/

Seeing as how Cowboys killed the Native Americans and bullets.. (insensitive)

And the Giants were against Christians ( i saw it on veggie tales)

And the Cardinals are just a front for Rome (with the Gov't not allowing competition) that is putting one faith over another..

Packers are insensitive to the homosexual men that each cheese

Colts are a gun and like the Bullets should change.

Bears again are all about old men that come out.. shouldn't stereotype.

(if the history of the name doesn't matter) make any name insensitive.

• 1 year later...
Bingo, there seem to be some very ignorant people on this board! The word Redskin to Indians has the same connotation to them as the N word does to Africain Americans................watch this.

WTF...so you're saying,to the Native Americans, "Hail to the Redskins" is the equivalent of "Hail to the N****** to Afican Americans??:doh:

and the random bump of year award goes to.....

That's too funny.

Actually this thread was very relevant at the time i posted & was cited as an example by Mark The Homer in another thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?340126-Poll-(-Hypothetical-Question)-Would-you-still-support-this-team-if-for-whatever-reason-the-name-was-changed/page3

Archived