Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC- Holmgren on Campbell: 'Have Some Patience

gobigred

No, ONLY Jason Campbell can screw himself, he has been given all the oportunities, to include this year. If He fails, the Captain (campbell) and the Coach (Zorn) go down with the ship.

If he fails, we're ALL screwed.

I don't see anyone on this roster that can take the spot away from JC this year.

Collins is too old and Brennan isn't ready yet and Chase is camp fodder/practice squad material.

This is all just speculation. If there were a truly open competition, #17 might find himself on the sidelines. Serviceable, game-managing, QBs are a dime-a-dozen these days.

You're expectations are not unreasonable at all. What is unreasonable is the Campbell apologists who feel that any criticism is unwarranted.

YOu paint with oh so wide a brush.

So your either a Campbell basher or a Campbell apologist, how savy. I don't fall into either of those, but I think in fairness let's see how this year plays out before you get your paint brush back out. IF he shows progression, show patience, if he regresses, by all means rip him apart. Last year JC did nothing to warrant the fans bailing on him. And hey if we could have upgraded any position this year I think the team should always seek that option. This is a man's game and business afterall.

I think they need to open up the competition in camp and give the starting position to whoever earns it.

The problem I can see with that (on this forum anyways) is that if JC wins th competition, there will be many a Skins fan that does not support JC saying that the competition was all a ruse (sp) and ther is some sort of conspiracy to make the team fail so Cowher, Shannahan, etc... will becoem the next HC in DC.

BTW... I am all for open competition. I know we did not ave it last year, but by the accounts f people that did attend last year, the general consesnsus was that JC was light years ahead of Collins and Brennan when on the field.

What does that fat Walrus know about QB's?

all he's ever coach where losers like Montana, Young, Favre, Hasselbeck, Brunell

and some of the coaches under him like Reid, Rhodes, Green, Sherman, and Zorn

what a bum

:point2sky Close the thread I think we have a winner :D.

The big question is how patient can a team afford to be with a QB?

I agree that they should bring him back for 2009 given that he was in Year 1 under Zorn last season.

But, with his pending UFA status, what do you do if he doesn't improve this season and looks about the same as last year?

That is what makes this situation very tricky.

Now this is the question and my concern going into the season. Maybe this is why Sanchez was highly considered so we could have a back up plan. And I'm quite sure that was the Little Danny's plan.

Everyone in the front office always said regardless, Campbell was going to be the starter this year and I believed them. Why? This is his contract year and if he couldn't convince us during the season to make him the franchise we had Sanchez. Not sure how that money thing would have worked out for Campbell though if he had a great season(LOL). But if he did, then we had a QB we could trade for a high draft pick or franchise his arse.

So now, if Campbell has a similar year like last year and not valid to make him the franchise QB, we're gonna start from scratch at the QB position regardless. So all you Colt supporters may get your wish afterall. But be careful what you wish for sometimes.

I agree with you that sometimes you can't know everything about a QB within 3 years. But that's how it is in the NFL, most teams won't stick with developing a QB after 3 years.

This is it for JC. As everyone thinks its "put up or shut up" for JC this season.

In order for the FO to give him a new contract, he has to put up numbers around: 3400+ yards 20+ TDs and <14 ints. If he puts up similar numbers to last season, he's just going to be a backup.

So he pretty much just need to throw 7 more TDs, 8 more INTs and 100 something more yards.

Who has Daniel Snyder ever coached? And on what planet is he a patient man?

No one, and none. So, why is he running the personnel for this team?

I'm just wondering why everyone is so happy that a QB guru such as Holmgren thinks JC just needs more time, yet the man in charge here was trying to run him out of town.

I'm trying to find out why this is good for the long-term success of this franchise. If Holmgren is right, and JC starts showing signs...great, we have a QB. But it also shows that the man running our personnel department was wrong. And that's what matters in the long run, not the opinion of ex-coaches.

what would you do if JC still averages 14pts per game but has 7 last minute winning drives and takes us to the SB with just ~3000 yards?

We're not getting seven last-minute winning drives, much less going to the Superbowl, if that's the best he can do, so it's a moot point.

I'm just wondering why everyone is so happy that a QB guru such as Holmgren thinks JC just needs more time, yet the man in charge here was trying to run him out of town.

I'm trying to find out why this is good for the long-term success of this franchise. If Holmgren is right, and JC starts showing signs...great, we have a QB. But it also shows that the man running our personnel department was wrong. And that's what matters in the long run, not the opinion of ex-coaches.

There's little to nothing that can be done about Snyder running this team. So unfortunately, there's not much discussion to be had there.

People want to hear good news about the team, this can be classified as good news. Others don't want to hear it. They want it to be proven. That's not going to happen until the season starts.

You can chose to get worked up over it or not. Not gonna change much in the long run.:cheers:

As usual it takes me to state the obvious.

You guys comparing Jason Campbell to Drew Brees, you are way off base. These 2 QB's look nothing alike, they are built different and they have completely different offensive systems.

Lets take a look at commonalities.

Matt Hasselbeck and Jason Campbell.

Both in the same system. Both with the same QB coach. and at similar points in their careers:

Hasselbeck after 4 years in the NFL 6'4 230 pounds

yards passsing-3075

TD's - 15

Ints - 10

avg yrd - 7.6

Jason Campbell after 4 years in the NFL 6'5 231

yards passing - 3245

TD's - 13

ints - 6

avg yrd - 6.4

Remarkably similar numbers. Hasselbeck slightly better due to having been in the SAME system for 4 years in a row.

Anyway, year number FIVE Hasselbeck exploded to the PRO BOWL.

We are now in Jasons year number FIVE.

He's not. That's Vinny's job.

Because the reality is that the team is running out of time with Campbell. So far, he hasn't proven that he's worth a big time contract, but there are a lot of teams which may feel differently about it and spend stupid money to have him on their team. We could do the same, but what happens if he doesn't develop like we'd want to see him do? Then we have a very expensive contract that is an anchor on the franchise. (See Cleveland)

Getting Cutler or Sanchez can buy you more time. Cutler has three years left on his deal and he doesn't sound like he's going to want a new deal real soon. Sanchez would be on a rookie contract and probably would have been competing against Campbell rather than replacing him.

Your post might go over better if it didn't start with a blanket criticism of every single person that posted before you in the thread.

Sorry. But I read the entire thread all 6 pages and not one even attempted to compare Hasselbeck with Campbell. These are the only 2 QB's who have spent time with Zorn in the same system as starters.

Not one person even bothered. So I just stated the obvious. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Man, I don't believe this one for a second.

Unfortunately I don't either. Not since Gibbs has been gone. I believe that Dan and Vinny make the decisions together with minor input from Zorn. As long as Dan owns the Redskins he will have his hands in personnel matters.

Soooo how'd that work out for us the last time? :doh:

Well, the future is now years were pretty good. In those seven years, we had a winning record in all seven, and we played in seven playoff games, won the NFC Championship, and went to the Super Bowl. In the year before Allen came, we had a losing record and he turned it around in the first year, going 9-4-1. Defense improved from 21st to 4th in his first year, and it was in the top 11 every year, with most of those years in the top five. Offense improved from 11th to 6th, 7th and 4th.

In 1974, we had the #4 offense and the #4 defense. We went 10-4 three of the seven years, and 11-3 once.

It was a great run.

Not since 1945 had the Redskins had 7 consecutive winning years, nor have we had 7 straight winning seasons since.

When Allen took over, we had only 1 winning season in the previous 15 years.

Thanks for shoving my comment about high expectations down my throat. It gave me an opportunity to reflect on Redskin greatness, an age of impatience.

Sooo, how are these patient years going for you?

Archived