Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Neighbors concerned about strange van

China

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6412895

May 7th, 2009

By Sam Penrod

PROVO -- Provo police are investigating a bizarre incident this week: a van parked in a residential neighborhood with a sign on it, reading: "free candy inside."

It turns out, police believe the sign was harmless. But for neighbors who live in Provo's Grandview neighborhood, it raised serious concerns with them that a child predator could be targeting kids on the street.

The white van was parked on a neighborhood street in front of a home. No one on the street knew who the van belonged to, and the neighbors were worried about the sign posted in the back window.

11213098.jpg

Adults looked inside and did not see any candy, but they did see a mattress and some clothes in the back of the van. Police were called and investigated.

Officers tracked down the van's owner, who is a college age student. He told officers he put up the sign a few days ago as part of a prank with his friends.

Click on the link for the full article

LOL. I can see it now...

Friend - Dude, you've got a perv van. The only thing missing is a sign saying "free candy inside".

Van Owner - Dude! That's too funny. I'll have to do it!

Van owner, much later - Well you see officer...

There were several incidents recently in the L.A. area where guys in a van have tried to abduct women who were out jogging in broad daylight and possibly rape them. The women managed to get away.

I don't find this funny.

how does that correlate to this story, other than the fact that there's a van? someone abducting women, and someone using a "free candy" sign to lure children, don't quite seem to be in the same mold to me. They're both wrong....but this article isn't about women being abducted. it's about a creepy van that people were worried may POSSIBLY be trying to lure children....which apparently, it wasn't. I mean this not being funny to you is one thing, and that's perfectly fine. But if this isn't funny to you BECAUSE of guys abducting joggers in LA, then i don't see the connection.

that being said, if i'm missing something here and a "free candy" sign does in fact attract sexy female joggers, maybe i should get one.

:D

• 2 months later...

Fortunately, that one turned out to be a joke. It could've been worse like this guy and his van:

UPDATE: Panty-wearing Vidor man gets 45 years for trying to chain ex-hooker to wall

No one on Willowbend Road in Vidor could see Carl Edward Frank’s house. It was surrounded by a 10-foot wooden fence, and then another fence, 10-foot chain-link with barbed wired slanted inward, as if to keep people from leaving the yard.

No one could see the dog collar inside, attached to a heavy chain that ran through two walls and was anchored to a wall stud.

No one could see the panties inside, some big enough for him to wear, others as small as size 3 toddler.

Now, an OrangeCounty jury has decided Frank, 54, should spend 45 years in state prison for aggravated kidnapping in connection with taking a woman to his house and trying to chain her with the dog-collar.

The 36-year-old victim is a convicted prostitute and the prosecutor said the 2007 incident scared her so much she has straightened out her life.

Frank has been serving a five-year prison sentence for leading police on a high-speed chase through Beaumont the same day the woman bolted from his house in September 2007.

Testimony in the trial showed that after he let the screaming woman out of his locked fences, he drove Vidor streets in his white van. He tried to get two girls, ages 12 and 13, into the van, until a woman driver stopped to help the girls.

Evidence photographs of the van showed the windows in the back had been blacked out so no one could see inside. A lattice metal gate divided the back from the front seats. The gate had a lock that could only be opened from the front. Cardboard covered the gate so no one could see in the back of the van.

Also inside the van, littered with boxes and wrappers from granola bars, Swisher Sweet cigar boxes and empty Bud Light beer cans, was a silver BB pistol that looked like a Glock handgun. Rolls of duct tape also were found in the van, along with a box of Q-Tips.

Click on the link for the full article

Archived