Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who makes the 53 man roster as WR this year?

addicted

Following the release of Thrash, I thought I'd bump this before we get another thread on 'who we will carry at WR this year' :)

I never had Thrash in my choice, but do think Marko Mitchell makes it based, if nothing else, on the fact we like to keep all of our drafted guys first up.

Santana Moss

Antwaan Randle El

Devin Thomas

Malcom kelly

Marko Mitchell

This is the same list i was thinking...

Marko Mitchell might not be ready yet, though.

edit:

I found this Marko Mitchell highlight video:

His middle name is Terrell! :P

Moss

Devin

El

Kelly

I have a gut feeling they will go after another WR during camp. Either signing a free agent like Plax or trading for boldin. I don't know how the redskins can go into the season feeling confident with their WR group.

You guys don't realize that Roydell Williams is a good WR who could probably make an adequate push for the #3 or even #2 receiver spot on this team if the Rooks from last year can't do it.

I'm pulling for him. He had a pretty good year when Vince Young was throwing him the ball... imagine how hard it is to be a productive WR when you got that lunatic throwing the ball to you.

So assuming we keep 5 guys on the 53 man roster who do you think makes the team?

Tana

ARE

Kelly

Thomas

i think the 5th spot will be a battle between Williams, Shelton and Hagans

but i think that Shelton has the leg up from being in Seattle and knowing the system somewhat

I think Marko Mitchell makes the practice squad, but of course we'lll let some other team sign him like Cummey, Gant, Gatewood and Richardson ;)

Some of you are now using the same misguided form of logic that these lame pollsters and opposing fans are using.

The line of thought I am referring to is when they say Haynesworth is not effective because the Redskins OVERPAID for him. They discount him because they say he is not worth it. As though when he makes a sack or tackle, that particular sack or tackle does not really count because it cost the Redskins TOO MUCH money to get that sack or tackle.

When speaking of Randell El, its NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. It does not matter if it costs too much to cut him or whatever, when you evaluate someone, you evaluate their effectiveness and not their salary. That is a mistake some of you are making.

A.R.E. caught a record number of passes last year in a new system and he could easily catch 60 balls this season. THAT is all that is important. So if he works for $7 per hour, most of you would say "he's great...and a great value!" But if he makes $7 million dollars then suddenly he is not great?

P.S. I don't even understand why some of you even bring up the word "CUT" and Randell El in the same sentence. Why in the HELL would you want to cut a receiver with over 50 catches. Its not like we have an abundance of receivers with 50 plus catches every year. That doesn't make even an ounce of sense to say something like that. Someone needs to rethink their thoughts.

60 catches is 60 catches regardless of his salary. If he is a great 3rd receiver and nothing more then fine, we have the best 3rd receiver in the league but I will take his 60 catches this year and appreciate them because I have no control over his salary and neither do you.

Also, A.R.E. cannot return punts. We all know this but it should NOT undervalue his ability as a receiver. Chris Samuels can not return punts either but we don't undervalue him because of that. It was a mistake by the front office to keep A.R.E. returning punts this long and I think it will HELP him if he can just focus on receiving. We will benefit by him being a receiver 100% of the time.

Some of you are now using the same misguided form of logic that these lame pollsters and opposing fans are using.

The line of thought I am referring to is when they say Haynesworth is not effective because the Redskins OVERPAID for him. They discount him because they say he is not worth it. As though when he makes a sack or tackle, that particular sack or tackle does not really count because it cost the Redskins TOO MUCH money to get that sack or tackle.

When speaking of Randell El, its NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. It does not matter if it costs too much to cut him or whatever, when you evaluate someone, you evaluate their effectiveness and not their salary. That is a mistake some of you are making.

A.R.E. caught a record number of passes last year in a new system and he could easily catch 60 balls this season. THAT is all that is important. So if he works for $7 per hour, most of you would say "he's great...and a great value!" But if he makes $7 million dollars then suddenly he is not great?

P.S. I don't even understand why some of you even bring up the word "CUT" and Randell El in the same sentence. Why in the HELL would you want to cut a receiver with over 50 catches. Its not like we have an abundance of receivers with 50 plus catches every year. That doesn't make even an ounce of sense to say something like that. Someone needs to rethink their thoughts.

60 catches is 60 catches regardless of his salary. If he is a great 3rd receiver and nothing more then fine, we have the best 3rd receiver in the league but I will take his 60 catches this year and appreciate them because I have no control over his salary and neither do you.

Also, A.R.E. cannot return punts. We all know this but it should NOT undervalue his ability as a receiver. Chris Samuels can not return punts either but we don't undervalue him because of that. It was a mistake by the front office to keep A.R.E. returning punts this long and I think it will HELP him if he can just focus on receiving. We will benefit by him being a receiver 100% of the time.

Agreed. I always see people saying we should cut randle el even though he is the only WR that produces other than Moss.:doh:

Agreed. I always see people saying we should cut randle el even though he is the only WR that produces other than Moss.:doh:

The word "CUT" should not be used in the same sentence as the word A.R.E. Why in the heck would you want to cut a receiver with FIFTY PLUS receptions?

So we have an abundance of them or something?

Put on your thinking caps folks. my goodness what were ya thinking?

Moss, Randle El, Thomas and Kelly are locks. We're not going to give up on either of the latter players yet, unless they look absolutely horrible in TC. So far, they both look good and have earned praise, so assuming we only keep 5 WRs, there's just one spot up for grabs. What I've heard from coaches and other reports, the coaches really like Roydell Williams as the 5th guy. He has experience, a fair amount of production, good size, less risky than someone like Marko, and serviceable should Thomas or Kelly get hurt or not produce. Jaison Williams or Marko would be fun picks since they're like 10 feet tall, but I don't think the coaches want to take risks like that. Roydell Williams is the safe pick, and probably his job to lose right now.

Moss, Randle El, Thomas and Kelly are locks. We're not going to give up on either of the latter players yet, unless they look absolutely horrible in TC. So far, they both look good and have earned praise, so assuming we only keep 5 WRs, there's just one spot up for grabs. What I've heard from coaches and other reports, the coaches really like Roydell Williams as the 5th guy. He has experience, a fair amount of production, good size, less risky than someone like Marko, and serviceable should Thomas or Kelly get hurt or not produce. Jaison Williams or Marko would be fun picks since they're like 10 feet tall, but I don't think the coaches want to take risks like that. Roydell Williams is the safe pick, and probably his job to lose right now.

Marko is heading for the PS I would bet. I'd be very happy if Roydell makes the team. He's pretty good.

Heading into training camp my five:

Moss

Randle El

Thomas

Kelly

Williams

The only position up for grabs is the number 5 spot assuming no injuries. Wiliams has the edge because he has played and succeeded in the NFL and I think he is the best of veteran receivers coming in. Rookie WR's typical need a year or two to develop.

The Rooks are battling for one, at the most two PS spots.

Since we cut Thrash I see us going with 6 WRs. Moss, Randle El, Thomas and Kelly are the locks. Roydell Williams and Marko Mitchell make it IMO. Eloi will be practice squaded.

I think all indications are that we'll stick with 5. Besides, if we were going to find an extra roster spot for someone, I'd rather it be another RB like Mason, Alridge or Dorsey than a WR.

Archived