Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who makes the 53 man roster as WR this year?

addicted

The Keith Eloi thread got me thinking about this. Specifically this post:

I am thinking this guy will run alot of routes during OTA's and training camp, then he will be shown the door before the regular season. Nothing against this kid, but only 6 of these WR's are going to make this team. Maybe he should try long jumping.

Last season we kept 5 WR's on the 53 man roster:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3572043

So assuming we keep 5 guys on the 53 man roster who do you think makes the team?

From the NFL.com page the following players are listed as WR's on the roster:

Alridge, Anthony (Redskins.com lists him as a RB so I don't count him among this group)

Eloi, Keith

Hagans, Marques

Kelly, Malcolm

Mitchell, Marko

Moss, Santana

Randle El, Antwaan

Shelton, Trent

Thomas, Devin

Thrash, James

Williams, Jaison

Williams, Roydell

Counting that we have 11 WR's in camp now.

The only Locks to be on the 53 man roster in my opinion now are:

Moss

Thomas

Randle El

Randle El is safe due to the cost to cut him. According to this it will cost the team 13 million to release El:

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

No way in hell we are going to cut him this season. I don't think he's worth a locked spot but realistically speaking we aren't going to cut him.

That's it.

The question marks from last year that made the team that may not this season are:

Kelly: should be a lock but he's done nothing so far to get that spot from me yet. I'm not hating on Kelly. I don't know what Kelly brings to the team. To me if one of the other players steps up big in Preseason does the team want to let him stay on the roster and pass on a playmaker? The longer he takes to get it going the more chance he gives someone else to take his spot. Releasing Kelly is a possibility looking at the cap. He's due to make $700k and if we cut him it would only cost us an additional $250k. He needs to get on the field and prove he's worth the roster spot to be moved to the lock list. Until he does he is a potential cut to me.

Thrash: In a rare cap saving move releasing Thrash would free up $750k. Thrash should be a lock for his outstanding special teams play but injury concerns have limited him playing so far this season. Age is also a factor, Thrash is 34 years old. My guess is unless he can come out in Training camp and show he's still better then anyone else on ST's he's played his last NFL season here.

So assuming my thoughts are right on this and we cut one or both of the two guys who made the 53 man roster last year (Kelly and Thrash) we are looking at adding one or two players to the WR group this year from this list:

Eloi, Keith

Hagans, Marques

Mitchell, Marko

Shelton, Trent

Williams, Jaison

Williams, Roydell

So fellow GM'ers who do you think makes the 53 man roster this year as a WR? This is the most wide open spot on the team in my opinion and considering the bodies we have in camp now one of the most exciting to watch.

Zorn is a QB at heart and QBs love receivers. I could see there being six receivers this year. And with Zorn very doubtful about Kelly, I could see him being dropped if he fails to contribute, despite his status as a second round draft pick.

Zorn is a QB at heart and QBs love receivers. I could see there being six receivers this year. And with Zorn very doubtful about Kelly, I could see him being dropped if he fails to contribute, despite his status as a second round draft pick.

Zorn isn't doubtful at all about Kelly, he's been extremely upbeat this offseason about him actually, disproportionately, I feel...

But at the same time, I saw pics of Kelly practicing this week, so he's coming along. And people think he's hurt now, but in reality he's right on schedule to practice full-out in June, which has been the plan for MONTHS.

Seems like Thrash will make it because there is no experience on the roster after Moss and EL. That just leaves Kelly who will make it if he can get on the field. If not he goes IR and we bring in a vet off the street. Other guys are practice squad at best.

I am seriously hoping that we put productive guys on the field and fill our 53 man roster accordingly.

For WRs I would like to see the following:

Santana Moss

Devin Thomas

Malcom Kelly

Trent Shelton

Keith Eloi or Marko Mitchell

For me, ARE is a hit or miss. He is not a 1st or 2nd receiver. And, when it come to KR and PR he is aweful!

Unless we bring in someone else - my bold predictions :

53-man roster :

Moss

Randle El

Devin Thomas

Trent Shelton

Marko Mitchell

Practice Squad :

Jaison Williams

IR :

Malcom Kelly

EDITED : Added obvious player thanks to Travdaskins

I think the recent signing of Trent Shelton is evidence the Redskins are trying to find a younger, cheaper WR that can be a special teams demon and replace the older, more expensive James Thrash.

the Redskins top 4 seems set by contract if not by on field performance.

the one extra open slot may come if Malcolm Kelly does not come to camp at 100% and continues to have knee issues.

I think the Redskins regretted waiting three months for Kelly in 2008 and leaving that roster spot open for so long. The team was short-handed.

I don't think you will see Washington or Hackett with Washington. Neither one sees the chance to start here in 2009 and with a bevy of high draft picks the team is under pressure to get on the field, I think both will look for better situations for themselves.

It's a shame though as I think Kelley Washington with his size and special teams ability could have been a good fit here.

Unless we bring in someone else - my bold predictions :

53-man roster :

Moss

Randle El

Devin Thomas

Trent Shelton

Marko Mitchell

Practice Squad :

Jaison Williams

IR :

Malcom Kelly

EDITED : Added obvious player thanks to Travdaskins

I think the recent signing of Trent Shelton is evidence the Redskins are trying to find a younger, cheaper WR that can be a special teams demon and replace the older, more expensive James Thrash.

the Redskins top 4 seems set by contract if not by on field performance.

the one extra open slot may come if Malcolm Kelly does not come to camp at 100% and continues to have knee issues.

I think the Redskins regretted waiting three months for Kelly in 2008 and leaving that roster spot open for so long. The team was short-handed.

I don't think you will see Washington or Hackett with Washington. Neither one sees the chance to start here in 2009 and with a bevy of high draft picks the team is under pressure to get on the field, I think both will look for better situations for themselves.

It's a shame though as I think Kelley Washington with his size and special teams ability could have been a good fit here.

ah, we agree.....as I have Shelton taking Thrash's place on the roster, among other things.

thrash is a great human, wondeful team mate, great special teams player but i am sick of running routes out of bounds, dropped passes and over all average suckiness. in his prime when he left for philly he was third behind westbrook and connel. He has had a great career and i wish him well, but there has to be someone better.

Archived