Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

REAL Caps fans

rdsknbill

I have been reading all of these "Caps" threads in amazement and a bit of disgust. And if you feel you have to trash me , go ahead. I can take it, but here is my take

Before this team started winning, were any of you Caps fans, much less Hockey fans?

I started playing youth hockey in the Capital Beltway leagued in 1972. TWO years before Abe Pollin brought an NHL franchise to Washington. After the team was established, they reached out to the hockey programs in the area. They made many accommodations to the youth programs with regards to tickets, and allowed the teams that were vying for a league title to play on the CAP CENTER ICE for that age groups championship game (I played on that ice four times). Win or lose, BOTH teams (and their families) got free tickets to the game that day. The championship team (from each age group) was invited to the locker room after the post game team meeting. I met guys like Al Iafrate, and still have a stick given to me from Mike Gartner. These were my heroes growing up , along with the Redskins players that I saw on Sunday

This is what Capitals hockey is all about.

Now I know that the All mighty buck is King, but it is nice to remember when the Caps were a humble franchise and had to EARN everything they got.

That said, I didn't hate the Pens, I just hated the fact that we didn't have players like Lemieux or Jagr (until he stole from us some years later) to compete with them. We did our best with Iafrate and Gartner, later with Bondra, Simon, Hunter and YES Gonchar.

My point here is that some of the bandwagon venom and ignorance that is thrown at the Pens organization is misplaced. The Pens were almost lost due to the idiocy of the PA governor Ed Rendell (unfortunately the Asshat is STILL the governor), but Lemieux saved the franchise and kept them in Pittsburgh, despite the opposition from our ****ty state Govt.

Bottom line is that the hate that everyone here throws at the Pens org. is just silly.

Ovechkin and Crosby have been nothing but professional in their post game interviews, and they know what they have to do. Is it different when they are facing each other on the ice? You're damn RIGHT it is!

Watch the game, enjoy the game but remember, THESE AREN'T THE ****ING COWBOYS!!!!!

:2cents:

The Pens rivalry comes from the fact that they eliminated us from the playoffs 6 times spanning from 1991 to 2001.

Give me a break, its not being a bandwagon fan if they are the home team :rolleyes:

You and Don Cherry can go cry all you want about the "old" NHL but the fact is, the new NHL, its best player (Ovechkin) and its new fans, are here to stay.

Grew up watching hockey and even played for a few years when young. I did not watch the NHL for YEARS though until last year.

People need to get over themselves.

The hate and venom towards the Pens is GREAT in my opinion for hockey.

The Pens rivalry comes from the fact that they eliminated us from the playoffs 6 times spanning from 1991 to 2001.

Give me a break, its not being a bandwagon fan if they are the home team :rolleyes:

You and Don Cherry can go cry all you want about the "old" NHL but the fact is, the new NHL, its best player (Ovechkin) and its new fans, are here to stay.

DUH! I have been a Caps fan before you were a gleam in your father's eye. Thank you reminding me of the playoff games that I ATTENDED.

And do me a favor. DON'T EVER lump me in there when describing Don Cherry.

Oh and were you there when they clinched the division last year? I was there with my son on his 17th b-day. I am raising new fans Putz

DUH! I have been a Caps fan before you were a gleam in your father's eye. Thank you reminding me of the playoff games that I ATTENDED.

And do me a favor. DON'T EVER lump me in there when describing Don Cherry.

Oh and were you there when they clinched the division last year? I was there with my son on his 17th b-day. I am raising new fans Putz

I was at game 1 of the playoffs last year. Nice try. :chair:

I went to a few games as a kid, played some roller hockey, but wasn't much of a sports fan untill college. Started watching football, learned a lot about football and decided to move on to other sports.

The best player in the world at his particular sport happens to play on my home team, so it was very easy to get in to hockey.

I brought up the playoff losses to the 'guins because you act so suprised that there is a rivalry between these two franchises. Combine that with the fact that Sidney Crosby is the posterboy of the NHL when Ovechkin clearly has more talent, and you get the next generation of that rivalry. I don't see what all your complaining is about, you are just another "old school" fan patting yourself on the back for being more seasoned than those of us who started tuning in for the Ovechkin era.

uh.. I don't know crap about hockey and never really liked it ...but have been getting into it recently. but I love my local teams, so I'm going to root for them, whether they suck complete tail or they win it all. Just like I don't give two hoots about baseball but it pains me to hear about how the Nationals are so bad... my friends want me to attend an O's Nats game next month or something and you better believe i'll be Nats clad at that game. What do I care? I love the city and the teams that come with it. Call me fairweather or whatever, don't really care. I've always rooted for the teams closest to me, whether or not I really give a crap about the sport. the only sport i really :care: about is football and I've been a fan of the skins since I was day old. I'll never root for another city's team in ANY sport. rah rah rah be true to your school.

Before this team started winning, were any of you Caps fans, much less Hockey fans?

YEP! Started going to capitals games in highschool, 1984 roughly. Not like Redskins games though, couldnt make every one of them and never had season tickets like with the Skins. When the player lockout happened, i gave up on watching or going to hockey games, it pissed me off greatly. Then along came OV, i didnt stay away long, was hard to after he arrived!

Wasn't really a fan up until college. Two of my roommates were big Caps fans and they got me in to it. Been going to games whenever I can since then.

Sort of the same here. First semester of college (last season) I started watching the games. I had taken to watching CSN for Redskins stuff, and just started watching games when they were on because they seemed exciting. Before long I was a fan. I guess since my parents aren't hockey fans and did not raise me as such I'm a crappy fan and should be ashamed though.:doh:

Honestly, I got into hockey at the start of last season.

Never had family nor friends that was into it and I'm almost 27. So naturally I wasn't a fan. Untill one of my new friends took me to game last year. Been hooked since then. I do not hate the Penguins. I do dislike Crosby though.

I am still a noob at hockey and I am ok with that. Am I one of the people you dislike?

I was at game 1 of the playoffs last year. Nice try. :chair:And I was at game three of the finals in 98. What EXACTLY IS YOUR EFFING POINT

I went to a few games as a kid, played some roller hockey, but wasn't much of a sports fan untill college. Started watching football, learned a lot about football and decided to move on to other sports.

The best player in the world at his particular sport happens to play on my home team, so it was very easy to get in to hockey.

I brought up the playoff losses to the 'guins because you act so suprised that there is a rivalry between these two franchises. Combine that with the fact that Sidney Crosby is the posterboy of the NHL when Ovechkin clearly has more talent, and you get the next generation of that rivalry. I don't see what all your complaining is about, you are just another "old school" fan patting yourself on the back for being more seasoned than those of us who started tuning in for the Ovechkin era.

My "complaining" is about fans, like yourself, that were still popping pimples when these rivalries took place. Hate Crosby all you want, but you all remind of the juvenile fans at Redskins games that get so bombed before the game that all you want to do is pick a fight and give opposing fans ****

I was a Caps fan for YEARS from the late 80s until they changed their uniforms... I hated those unis, and coupled with the fact that they weren't winning anymore and I was in college...I found it a lot easier to find other things to do other than going/watching games. I still kept up with them...but not as closely as I used to.

I loved watching Hunter, Iafrate, Langway, Hatcher, Gustafsson and still get a kick when I hear the name Pete Peeters... But I will admit, Ovechkin and Semin definitely got my interest back last year...especially with the new unis. :) Lame, I know.

Honestly, I got into hockey at the start of last season.

I am still a noob at hockey and I am ok with that. Am I one of the people you dislike?

NO, Absolutely NOT. You are learning to appreciate the pureness, finesse and violence that is the sport of hockey.

this thread is stupid.

i've never heard someone say that someone else isn't a true fan of a franchise because they hate their rival too much.

you're all over the place, and you're calling people putzes.

now, to answer your question, no, i'm not a real caps fan. i'm a bandwagon fan and i freely admit it. i hate the penguins because i hate all things pittsburgh, except maybe the pirates because what's to hate?

I have been reading all of these "Caps" threads in amazement and a bit of disgust. And if you feel you have to trash me , go ahead. I can take it, but here is my take

I started playing youth hockey in the Capital Beltway leagued in 1972. TWO years before Abe Pollin brought an NHL franchise to Washington. After the team was established, they reached out to the hockey programs in the area. They made many accommodations to the youth programs with regards to tickets, and allowed the teams that were vying for a league title to play on the CAP CENTER ICE for that age groups championship game (I played on that ice four times). Win or lose, BOTH teams (and their families) got free tickets to the game that day. The championship team (from each age group) was invited to the locker room after the post game team meeting. I met guys like Al Iafrate, and still have a stick given to me from Mike Gartner. These were my heroes growing up , along with the Redskins players that I saw on Sunday

This is what Capitals hockey is all about.

Now I know that the All mighty buck is King, but it is nice to remember when the Caps were a humble franchise and had to EARN everything they got.

That said, I didn't hate the Pens, I just hated the fact that we didn't have players like Lemieux or Jagr (until he stole from us some years later) to compete with them. We did our best with Iafrate and Gartner, later with Bondra, Simon, Hunter and YES Gonchar.

My point here is that some of the bandwagon venom and ignorance that is thrown at the Pens organization is misplaced. The Pens were almost lost due to the idiocy of the PA governor Ed Rendell (unfortunately the Asshat is STILL the governor), but Lemieux saved the franchise and kept them in Pittsburgh, despite the opposition from our ****ty state Govt.

Bottom line is that the hate that everyone here throws at the Pens org. is just silly.

Ovechkin and Crosby have been nothing but professional in their post game interviews, and they know what they have to do. Is it different when they are facing each other on the ice? You're damn RIGHT it is!

Watch the game, enjoy the game but remember, THESE AREN'T THE ****ING COWBOYS!!!!!

:2cents:

Been a Caps fan since I was around 10 years old, when I first started watching hockey. Football was all I knew before that. I remember catching a Rangers-Caps game for the first time on ESPN and I was hooked from there. The following season we would go onto make the Stanley Cup Finals. And yes, I hate the Penguins. They shattered my hopes and dreams for the Caps in 99-00 and 00-01. We always outworked them but were just never talented enough to quite get over the hump. Hell, I've been on the main Caps message board since forever. But yes, some of this "hate" towards the Penguins seems to be the trendy thing to do among the newcomers to Caps hockey and it can get a bit annoying at times, but I welcome all the newcomers as long as they don't try and act as if they're an expert on players and systems after just a few games of watching them play. The highs and lows of watching this team grow up since the fire sale has been something else, and I probably feel closer to this Caps team than any Skins or Wizards team I've ever rooted for. Skins are number 1 in my heart but the Caps are a VERY close 2nd.

LETS GO CAPS!

I was a Caps fan for YEARS from the late 80s until they changed their uniforms... I hated those unis, and coupled with the fact that they weren't winning anymore and I was in college...I found it a lot easier to find other things to do other than going/watching games. I still kept up with them...but not as closely as I used to.

I loved watching Hunter, Iafrate, Langway, Hatcher, Gustafsson and still get a kick when I hear the name Pete Peeters... But I will admit, Ovechkin and Semin definitely got my interest back last year...especially with the new unis. :) Lame, I know.

That is a great thing! I also got pissed at hockey and the moron that is Gary Bentman (sp) He allowed the haves to have to much and the have nots to have less.

Leonsis is one of the best owners in the NHL , but Lemieux is also a member of those owners that "righted the ship" and got the NHL back on track

NO, Absolutely NOT. You are learning to appreciate the pureness, finesse and violence that is the sport of hockey.

Awesome!!! Loving it more everyday. Untill last year, the only names I could name was the ones that was on ESPN and video games from the 90's. Loving it more and more everyday. I got to go to game 2 against the Penguins the other night. Had the time of my life!!!

this thread is stupid.

i've never heard someone say that someone else isn't a true fan of a franchise because they hate their rival too much.

you're all over the place, and you're calling people putzes.

now, to answer your question, no, i'm not a real caps fan. i'm a bandwagon fan and i freely admit it. i hate the penguins because i hate all things pittsburgh, except maybe the pirates because what's to hate?

MH, I'm all over the place? :hysterical:

You live in WV! For God's sake! You are supposed to hate Pittsburgh. Isn't that a state law or something?

this actually sums me up pretty well with the caps. i definitely remember watching all of those names play on the little black and white set w/ rabbit ears and pliers for a channel changer.

Archived