Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sanchez just a smoke screen to get ORAKPO?

haraldjun

I was thinking about the first round of the draft and had some interesting thoughts I would like to share with you guys and to hear about your assessment of my thoughts.

1) The FO could have simply been absolutely lucky getting ORAKPO and shadowing the Sanches talks with it.

or

2) It was all planned!

If we assume the FO targeted ORAKPO from the beginning, we had two ways to make sure we get him

a) Trade at least somewhere in from 3-5 to get him (Lions = Stafford, the Rams were bound to get a tackle so Monroe/Smith, SEA was Crabtree/Curry just the Browns and KC remained unpredictable). So we had to look around what it would cost to trade with them, but to shadow our real interest (ORAKPO) we got to throw a bait out there and also make sure that we get other teams interested in Sanchez alarmed. So the FO started talking with the top 5 pick holders to trade and made clear we are not willing to give to much (1st rounder next year) to not make it to expensive. -> but as you saw it didn´t work out but helped for the "b" scenario

B) We tried to lure the spotlight away from ORAKPO, getting everyone crazy about Sanchez and hope ORAKPO will fall to us or at least somewhere where we can cheap trade to. For that we had to make sure that the whole world assumes we really want Sanchez and therefore whoever else wanted him (Broncos/Jets) had to jump us to make sure to get him. We hoped it would be the Broncos to trade with the Browns or KC cause I think this three would be the only teams that would really be interested in ORAKPO. Which was also shown by the tries of Vinny to jump the Broncos. Therefore it worked nearly perfect for us as Tyson Jackson rised the draft boards and KC got enarmored with him (due to Piolis love for lineman fitted for the 3-4), and the Jets (not as we hoped the Broncos) swallowed our bait and did everything to outjump us to make sure they will land Sanchez ( to sell tickets for their new Stadium) and what would be more fitting than a trade between, Mangini and Tannenbaum ;).

So we got everything worked out, just the Bronocs remained as obstacle, and we tried everything to jump them, but according to Vinny they told em we will get the guy we are interested in so cause the thought BPA which was Knowshon Moreno for them, which of course was lucky for us.

Here are the possible assumptions of our FO

Lions = Stafford

Rams = Tackle

Chiefs = ?

Hawks = Curry/Crabtree (BPA or biggest need)

Browns = ?

Bengals = T (Palmer has to be upright to pass)

Raiders = Speed = fastest Playmaker = WR (Al Davis enough said)

Jaguars = T (O-Line biggest issue last year)

Packers = DT/ OLB (due to new 3-4 system)

49ers = WR (they didn´t have one since TO left)

Bills = T/Defense (but they never seemed to high on Orakpo)

Broncos = ?

REDSKINS

So what are your thoughts of my try making our FO looking good ;).

At least we got ORAKPO and are happy :point2sky

I was thinking about the first round of the draft and had some interesting thoughts I would like to share with you guys and to hear about your assessment of my thoughts.

1) The FO could have simply been absolutely lucky getting ORAKPO and shadowing the Sanches talks with it.

or

2) It was all planned!

So what are your thoughts of my try making our FO looking good ;).

Now there was your first mistake.:hysterical:

You're giving too much credit to a FO who made those questionable picks in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. When the Skins pick came up and Rak and Oher were still there, I was worried they'd still pick the wrong guy.

The only teams our FO could outsmart are the Raiders, and fortunately, the Cowboys.

I wish I could agree I'm just not ready to annoint this front office for anything.

They got lucky.

Plus, the Skins are still light years behind other teams in the divison at drafting. Well, maybe not the Cowboys:hysterical:.

It's going to take a few years.

We won't know how lucky and/or savvy the FO is (and face it, in the draft, it's generally a combo of the two) until Orakpo has PLAYED FOOTBALL for a few seasons. Though, I will give credit to the OP for attempting to smack a very square peg into an extremely round hole, theories at this point are no where near proof-ready

- FUF

No it was not a smokescreen. I keep telling you guys. They actually did have some interest in Sanchez, but they had planned to fill other wholes in the draft. They did their diligence to see what it would take to get up to X spot to take sanchez, and I think they determined that it would cost more than they were willing to give up.

Furthermore, the Media saw us meet a few times with Sanchez, and began to run with the story. If you were the FO, and thought this was wrong, but that it would help you get a player you might want more, would you debunk it? Certainly not.

The Doc Walker interview pretty much convinced me that it was the mediots that were convinced we were after sanchez at all costs, when that was never the truth.

While there was interest in Sanchez, it wasn't as great as the media hyped (or Danny would have traded the 2010 #1)

Orakpo was their top target draft day

Thanks for the inside information Bubba. Did you order Veal like Sanchez when you ate dinner with Snyderatto and at what part of the dinner did they tell you that their interest in Sanchez wasn't as high as the media portrayed it to be? Main course? Dessert?

No, Orakpo just fell in our laps. First, according to sources I believe over Snyder (which isn't saying much) we were willing to give up everything short of next year's #1 to grab him, but it wasn't enough. Danny deserves credit for his restraint-- Danny of years past would've pulled the trigger on that. Second, if you want a smokescreen, you don't do it at the expense of the QB that you've already majorly alienated.

You're giving too much credit to a FO who made those questionable picks in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. When the Skins pick came up and Rak and Oher were still there, I was worried they'd still pick the wrong guy.

The only teams our FO could outsmart are the Raiders, and fortunately, the Cowboys.

energizer_hater.jpg

They want a top tier QB on the team. They dont think we have one on the roster (else they would have given JC his extension and not tried for cutler), so I doubt it was all smoke screen.

JC seems like a nice guy, but most probably want a franchise QB over a nice guy ...

You must be kidding expecting anyone on this board to give the FO any credit for anything at all.

It's possible they attempted some manipulation,, it's not like Snyder's a complete idiot when it comes to business and people. (The guy did make a billion dollars on his own.)

But to expect anyone to give them the benefit of the doubt that it's even possible?

Nah, not here.

Maybe on some other board filled with fans who hate the Redskins, but not on this one.

For my own opinion, I think it's definitely possible. It's not like they would have manipulated the entire round, maybe 7 or 8 picks. Snyder's reputation for not being outbid may have caused the Jets to jump, which may have caused some of the factors that caused Orakpo to fall to us.

That said, even a manipulation like that (getting the Jets to jump,, in this case up to five) requires a lot of luck that it actually works out the way you want it to. For example, how they would have gotten Orakpo past Green Bay is a mystery, and I think he was their best option. Same goes for Denver. That's luck.

~Bang

I knew the price was going to be beyond our grasp to get Sanchez, our F.O. probably knew it to prior to the draft.

Who needs to be sent a thank you card for us landing Orapko is Al Davis. His reach of Heyward-Bey dominoed Orapko into our laps where as otherwise I think the 49ers would of taken him.

That would of left us with Ayers, Cushing, Oher, or trading down. And I don't think any good trade downs were available because we may have traded down anyway.

I was thinking the same thing as you, until I realized that

1) Our FO isnt capable of this sort of tactic while being infected with Snyder's mancrushes

2) Other FO's are just as difficult to predict as ours

3) 2 DE's went ahead of Orakpo in the draft (I believe)

when all of these facts are combined together a picture of a talent dropping down the boards emerges.

How was the jersey prepared if he just "fell into our laps"?

30 second iron on?

Its just too easy to mock and blame our FO around here and so everyone does it.

Anyone want to kick George Bush while your at it?

Dont you all ever get tired of it?

Archived